Sponsored by:

Would 9 owners put u off a car

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2012, 01:47 PM
glensti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would 9 owners put u off a car

Hi all. Seen a 2003 sti for sale. Seller seems nice and car looks good with nice parts on it and full history on it with 10 stamps. He is keen to take make my car which is a bonus but feel put off about the amount of owners

Would this put you Off
Old 23 December 2012, 01:52 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It works out an owner per year since new, I would question why there have been so many owners and what past issues have there been with the car, Get the phone number off the service book and speak to the service garage and take it from there would be my advice.
Old 23 December 2012, 01:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If it's my old car then I am not surprised it's had 9 owners - a Friday lemon and then some
Old 23 December 2012, 02:02 PM
daz b
Scooby Regular

How much is it up for ?
Old 23 December 2012, 02:10 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

well i bought my bug 2002 with 13 owners on it and im the 14th. was shocking when i found out but the car has been great, with no trouble, all depends how its been treated really
Old 23 December 2012, 02:13 PM
glensti
Scooby Regular

Up for 6750 and don't think he'll budge on
Price
Old 23 December 2012, 02:27 PM
ShayneJ
Scooby Regular

it would not put me off cars like this can be marmite to some folk
i imagine some owners got tired of the thirst the image (some) folk
have for impreza owners and maybe discovering they don't have the talent
required to get the best out of the car or maybe the noise got wearing
i know mine makes my ears bleed after a while

just study the paperwork with care and buy on condition
just like any other car.

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2012, 02:37 PM
glensti
Scooby Regular

The car does look good. It's on eBay at minute from Kilmarnock in Scotland if any one can have a quick peak and give there opinion. Or if anybody knows any others for sale could point me in right direction
Old 23 December 2012, 02:49 PM
Marietto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by glensti
Up for 6750 and don't think he'll budge on
Price
The ebay listing says £6750 or offers so he will budge on the price bud. The thing about Subaru's is to not rush into buying the first one that looks good on paper. Took me 6 months to find my Black Hawkeye STI and I travelled all the way up to Inverness twice before I bought it - but it was the right one. 9 owners would definitely put me off unless I was able to go through the paperwork with a fine tooth comb and check the cars history completely. As previously said though Subarus aren't for everybody so owners may pass them on quickly when they are not as they expected them to be. Take your time and be patient. It's a buyer's market out there in the current climate.

Good luck finding one

Last edited by Marietto; 23 December 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 23 December 2012, 02:52 PM
glensti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for looking mate. Just text him to ask him some more about the car and got nothing back other than attitude so going to keep looking. As you say better looking around till right one comes up. I know this has been on eBay a few times so that rings alarm bells anyway.
Old 23 December 2012, 02:59 PM
bugblue1
Scooby Regular

another bug with its 14 owner wow thought i was the only one being 14owner,i personally don't think the amount of owners makes a difference it how its been treated along the way,I'd do as much research on the car as you can check it over good if you cant get someone who noes about subaru's to check it even contact previous owner if possible,but you take a chance on anything second hand.be lucky.
Old 23 December 2012, 03:00 PM
Trippie
Scooby Regular

It bothers some people as do high millage cars so it's down to you bud.
i'v had 42 cars in one year before, swaping ect,
wouldn't bother me if its the right car.
Old 23 December 2012, 03:04 PM
Marietto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by glensti
Thanks for looking mate. Just text him to ask him some more about the car and got nothing back other than attitude so going to keep looking. As you say better looking around till right one comes up. I know this has been on eBay a few times so that rings alarm bells anyway.
If you get attitude walk away every time. It's your hard earned money at the end of the day and you are 100% entitled to ask as many questions as you like to make certain it's straight. If the owner is genuine and wants to sell the car they will not have any problem answering. Perhaps he is just waiting on a mug to hand over the money without asking pertinent questions - screw him!
Old 23 December 2012, 03:14 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

its a subaru

people buy them then find out how much it costs to run them then 3 mths down the line they sell

or a young lad buys it then finds out its £2000+ to insure lol

we all done it at one time or another but most people find a way to keep there pride and joy others can,t or the misses says sell

i had a sierra cosworth and that had 16 owners car ran like a dream when i wasn,t driving it.....i always seemed to break something
Old 23 December 2012, 04:37 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

9 careful owners is better than 1 **** owner.
Old 23 December 2012, 07:51 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

wouldnt bother me. sometimes circumstances means the car appears to have had lots of owner. Mines a 2002. shows 5 owners yet ive had it since 2003 and am the second owner. In times gone by i had to register it in A nothers name due to divorce etc
Old 23 December 2012, 08:55 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a concern that would need further investigation & I would advise you to do your homework correctly.

Get the wrong car & it is tears all the way. One guy on here recently bought one for £2K but spent nearly double that so far & it is still not running correctly.

Good luck mate, but be patient & be prepared to walk away remember it's your hard earned cash. It's a buyers market so there will be other cars come up for sale at reasonable prices.
Old 23 December 2012, 08:58 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

If it comes with the appropriate paperwork, I dont see the problem.
Old 23 December 2012, 09:31 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marietto
...The thing about Subaru's is to not rush into buying the first one that looks good on paper.

...able to go through the paperwork with a fine tooth comb and check the cars history completely.

Take your time and be patient. It's a buyer's market out there in the current climate.

Good luck finding one
So true. I had some issues with a Hawkeye I rushed into and reckon if I'd looked closer at the previous owners and service intervals I wouldn't have gone for it even though it was from a main dealer. The rear suspension rattled and the head gaskets went a month after the warranty expired even though it had done less than 35k by the time that happened.

However I bought my DCCD Blobeye ppp from Graham Walker in Chester who have a mixed reputation but the car came with a lever arch file and folder full of every receipt ever paid for it except petrol. I drove there just to look at the car after five months of searching. It had done 32k when I bought it yet had had three owners. I traded it at 48k for the price I bought it for...! I ran that car with absolutely no problem at all and it walked two MOTs and services without needing parts. It even drew comment from a well known tuner in Gloucestershire about what a tidy car it was.

I'd recommend anyone getting a Scooby to look at how often the oil has been changed and generally get a feel for it with a couple of test drives. The number of owners might not be such a bad thing especially if it has been traded rather than sold privately - a lot of places change oil, filters and plugs each time the car is sold. I'm keeping every receipt for my current one so that if I ever decide to sell it I'll get a better sale of some description (or certainly a quicker one) for the amount of love I've bestowed upon it!
Old 23 December 2012, 10:03 PM
Marietto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
So true. I had some issues with a Hawkeye I rushed into and reckon if I'd looked closer at the previous owners and service intervals I wouldn't have gone for it even though it was from a main dealer. The rear suspension rattled and the head gaskets went a month after the warranty expired even though it had done less than 35k by the time that happened.

However I bought my DCCD Blobeye ppp from Graham Walker in Chester who have a mixed reputation but the car came with a lever arch file and folder full of every receipt ever paid for it except petrol. I drove there just to look at the car after five months of searching. It had done 32k when I bought it yet had had three owners. I traded it at 48k for the price I bought it for...! I ran that car with absolutely no problem at all and it walked two MOTs and services without needing parts. It even drew comment from a well known tuner in Gloucestershire about what a tidy car it was.

I'd recommend anyone getting a Scooby to look at how often the oil has been changed and generally get a feel for it with a couple of test drives. The number of owners might not be such a bad thing especially if it has been traded rather than sold privately - a lot of places change oil, filters and plugs each time the car is sold. I'm keeping every receipt for my current one so that if I ever decide to sell it I'll get a better sale of some description (or certainly a quicker one) for the amount of love I've bestowed upon it!
You are absolutely bang on mate. I have exactly the same thing. A large lever arch file with every single receipt, invoice, for servicing, parts, upgrades, the whole shabang! All in date order from the minute it was first purchased - worth it's weight in gold when you come to sell it as it's easy for a potential buyer to see how well it was cared for, serviced, etc.

Merry Xmas!
Old 23 December 2012, 10:29 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Most of the cars I've ever bought have had quite a number of previous owners and never had a problem, always have had rather large folders of receipts , and it's that that swung the deal.

The wife however, she had 3 previous owners and has caused nothing but problems from the off
Old 23 December 2012, 10:34 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall
Most of the cars I've ever bought have had quite a number of previous owners and never had a problem, always have had rather large folders of receipts , and it's that that swung the deal.

The wife however, she had 3 previous owners and has caused nothing but problems from the off
Very funny that one
Old 23 December 2012, 10:49 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall

:

on a serious note to OP, always buy car on condition and not on owners or mileage !

Last edited by bighead; 23 December 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 23 December 2012, 11:06 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

I have a 2008 hatch for sale 5 owners didnt bother me tbh 21k fsh 3 of the owners were big well known companies ..