ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2012, 06:52 PM
Paul silver sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please!

Been playing with my 03 sti, I want a sleeper, no wing, no scoop, no badges, no stickers and a quiet exhaust. Wing has gone, sport bonnet and a sport bumper with the driving light holes filled in. Exhaust is a Prodrive 2 1/2" which is fairly quiet but is now limiting the engine power, 420 bhp with an SC42.
The modified panels are satin black at present, the car is silver, but all will be silver once the mods are finished.

Here are a couple of pics, what you think?

Old 12 December 2012, 06:58 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like its going to be a great sleeper. Steve.
Old 12 December 2012, 06:59 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

Looks nice that m8 , might sound stupid but look a bit like an Aston Martin from front lol :/
I do the rest satin black look very nice
Old 12 December 2012, 07:01 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Sleepers are the best

I use to love my old nova days with a c20let engine tucked away! Use to shock a hell of a lot of people who would just look in amazement at what was going on :lol1
Old 12 December 2012, 07:01 PM
Paul silver sti
Scooby Newbie

I do like the black but it's not very sleepy!

From the back it looks like a Rover 45.
Old 12 December 2012, 07:05 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's true ROVER 45! I'd get a spoiler on it pal lol
Seriously though front end looks nice
Old 12 December 2012, 07:56 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry not to my taste, looks weird at the moment, a bit like bubba from forest gump.

May be look better when it's all one colour.

But as long as your happy.
Old 13 December 2012, 03:36 PM
magictree
Scooby Regular

Ok stupid question but what's the idea of a sleeper? I'm intrigued...surely if u want to shock people would it not be better to start off with something rediculas like a rover metro? Car looks nice in satin black tho
Old 13 December 2012, 05:44 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

It's the Q car, which is more a British term, sleeper I think is the American version. When other drivers see a big scoop and spoiler they want to race, they see a Q car and they think it's a standard boring saloon, until they see it disappearing into the distance...
Old 13 December 2012, 07:18 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

de tango the head lights and grey the backing of them out (great mod)

fit a zun sport upper and lower grill

fit a grill badge from a wrx think they are black

and as for the back, get an A-Line rear lip or i think the lip from a m3 or 330 m sport fits the back to give it a little something.

just an idea
Old 13 December 2012, 07:57 PM
Paul silver sti
Scooby Newbie

Lenny, spot on! I now know I want, a Q car.

I previously had a V2 sti, 370 bhp, I fitted a lower wing, reverse scoop and removed most of the stickers but still everyone wanted a race and I do have a problem saying no!

Stevie, I agree with the de-tango, car came with the zun grills, I bined them! I do like the M3 lip.

First pics were a bit naff, here are some more, I do appreciate the comments, keep them comming.

Old 13 December 2012, 08:01 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

now with better pics i would paint the front end and the rear boot. think it would look much cleaner plus along with the de-tango and boot lip would look spot on

and for me the grills you have on it look (and no offence) a bit cheap. fit the zun sport kit and the front definitely needs and sti front grill but swap the pink badge for a black one from a wrx

best of luck
Old 13 December 2012, 08:13 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good but needs to be all one colour in my opinion mate, can i just ask why the front bumper doesnt meet properly around the front arches, looks longer?
Old 13 December 2012, 08:28 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a Subaru Impreza, most people are going to think its quick. The fact that its been modded, and will have none of the original badges will further add to this look.

Those who do know the brand will assume its been modded too as it doesn't look like the original.

If you wanted a true sleeper, you should have used a car which isn't known for its speed and modded that. The whole idea behind sleepers is that they look original on the outside, but on the inside, they are anything but.

If you wanted an Impreza sleeper, buy some GX badges and wheels and return the bodywork to standard (for a GX), people who know the brand will think your running a 2l NA 120hp car.
Old 13 December 2012, 09:02 PM
Paul silver sti
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchyboy
looking good but needs to be all one colour in my opinion mate, can i just ask why the front bumper doesnt meet properly around the front arches, looks longer?
The front bumper doesn't fit the front arch because it's a sport wagon bumper, as is the bonnet. Turns out the sport or the wagon or both use different wings....... bugger! I thought the simpler bumper would be less work to fill the driving light openings, didn't try it before modding it. Will try altering the wheel arch blend of the bumper, or throw it away and start again

One colour is my plan just don't want to spend on final paint till I'm happy with it.

Last edited by Paul silver sti; 13 December 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 13 December 2012, 11:21 PM
TH9564
Scooby Regular

you can only work with what you have, but for a true sleeper, has to be a wagon, no one expects an estate car to race them!
as above though, one colour al the way will make it look more like a std car, especially without the fogs,scoop,and spoiler!
nice job so far though!
slight tangent here but were original q cars police modded motors? if not where does that come from, haven't heard the phrase in years!
Old 13 December 2012, 11:36 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TH9564
you can only work with what you have, but for a true sleeper, has to be a wagon, no one expects an estate car to race them!
as above though, one colour al the way will make it look more like a std car, especially without the fogs,scoop,and spoiler!
nice job so far though!
slight tangent here but were original q cars police modded motors? if not where does that come from, haven't heard the phrase in years!
The term came from WW2, British Q-boats or Q-ships were ships disguised to look like civilian ships, but when those pesky U-Boats surfaced to blow them out of the water they got a nasty surprise.

I remember my dad using the term and it was all the rage in the days of "Car and Car Conversions" mag, which I sorely miss.
Old 13 December 2012, 11:39 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul silver sti
Lenny, spot on! I now know I want, a Q car.
I previously had a V2 sti, 370 bhp, I fitted a lower wing, reverse scoop and removed most of the stickers but still everyone wanted a race and I do have a problem saying no!
Car's looking good, although as mentioned it would be more Q if it was all one colour... I think the saloon is perfect for this purpose as it blends in with other cars. The wagon is a bit obviously subaru...