Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from QATAR and advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2012, 08:25 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greetings from QATAR and advice needed!

Hey guys hope all well its been awhile. Right so as some of you know I moved out to DOha Qatar this year with work and I'm gonna be here permanently now. I've come across this 2011 WRX which is mint like new, only 4000miles and in standard spec (which is how it must remain). Now the chap wants 13k (however will prob be able to get him down).

With fuel & insurance being ridiculously cheap (£5 for a full tank of premium) and no road tax to deal with it's a no brainer for me. However its hot out here, seriously hot especially in the summer 40+. Its nice now Nov-Mar is like in the 20s. Want i want to know is how much of a problem will heat soak be? You tend to spend long times in traffic in the heat (traffic is a problem here). I won't be throttling the car all the time (other than on the weekends when the roads are dead in the morning lol). I know scoobies run hot generally anyway, just wondering what further precautions I might need to take when running the WRX out here.

THanks
Old 22 November 2012, 11:00 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it an sti?

I would definetley change to FMIC, map tweak, might as well do fuel pump at same time too. Also consider removing under tray maybe.
Old 22 November 2012, 02:36 PM
Wayne STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you say that the car must stay in standard spec..... I assume that local laws forbid modifications?

If that's the case then a FMIC would be out of the question unless all local authorities are a bit thick and just assume that it's standard. A map tweak would be a very good start to account for the higher charge temps. You will be down on power anyway due to heat but won't make any difference in traffic.

As for your early morning blasts.... this is a bit extreme, but I always wandered if it would work on a road car, I know some competition cars do it to give better qualifying times - this may take a while:

the bonnet scoop on the newer models is "inverted" - i.e. cut into the bonnet rather than sticking out of it. You can buy the insert alone from ebay (there are a few on there at the moment). You can use this as a dummy peice to cut up and make a small tray.

If you can get hold of some dry ice you could put a tray full in before a blast. It gives off cold air which will go straight into the scoop and onto the top mount. Your standard scoop can be easily replaced for inspection and wont require a further map tweak. That combined with a decent octain booster will lower the risk of det and maybe even give you 2 or 3 extra bhp.

other than that, maybe an uprated radiator / fan system but you are going back into modified teritory then.
Old 22 November 2012, 04:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, cars a tested in a range of temps from - 40 to 50+ by manufacturers, sure you will be down on power, but if your in traffic it's not an issue, and once you start moving then it will cool to somewhere around ambient temp.

I'd just make sure you have good high temp oil, and maybe fit a set of gauges to keep an eye on thing, also maybe fit a turbo blanket.