Sponsored by:

Turbo, warm up and cool down?

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2012, 07:50 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo, warm up and cool down?

This is my first turbo and a few people have told me to let the car idle for a min or two before driving and before stopping the engine, should I follow their advice?

Cheers
Old 18 November 2012, 07:53 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes although I drive it off boost on a morning under 3000 rpm till warmed and drive same on the last couple of miles home, if you've driven hard before you get home just let it run for a couple of mins.
Old 18 November 2012, 07:56 PM
Oggy249
Scooby Regular

Hi ,some say yes and some say dont bother ,i think as long as you take it easy till up to temp you should be ok ,but i tend to let mine idle for a minute or so after hard driving ,hope this helps
Old 18 November 2012, 07:56 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

When you start it's not a prob matey but don't go booting it to start with let the engine warm up, as for turning off yes you need to let it cool down the turbo runs at extreme tempatures that will evaporite the oil if its immediately turned off, if you not sure and want peace of mind buy your self a turbo timer and get it fitted.
Old 18 November 2012, 07:57 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Just drive off boost for last few miles before you get home if you give it death all the way home then just turn the ignition off

TX.
Old 18 November 2012, 07:59 PM
djr
Scooby Regular

Yeah i never go anywhare near the Turbo untill the car has warmed up and also after a Run i let mine Run for about 5 mins just to let every thing cool down
Oggy249
Scooby Regular

Ha sorry busta i must have been typing the same time as you
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Yes although I drive it off boost on a morning under 3000 rpm till warmed and drive same on the last couple of miles home, if you've driven hard before you get home just let it run for a couple of mins.
+1
Old 18 November 2012, 08:07 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, I've been letting it warm up before going near the turbo, a turbo timer sounds good!
Old 18 November 2012, 08:10 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharper
thanks guys, I've been letting it warm up before going near the turbo, a turbo timer sounds good!

Turbo timer waste of money these days.

Old 18 November 2012, 08:13 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Thanks Don, puts my mind at ease!
Old 18 November 2012, 08:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sweden
When you start it's not a prob matey but don't go booting it to start with let the engine warm up, as for turning off yes you need to let it cool down the turbo runs at extreme tempatures that will evaporite the oil if its immediately turned off, if you not sure and want peace of mind buy your self a turbo timer and get it fitted.
.....or alternatively just send me £100 to spend on beer as that will be about as much use to the OP
Old 18 November 2012, 08:38 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Lol your engine your choice
Old 18 November 2012, 08:54 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

My own opinion & 2p's worth - what happens when you're sat still & not having air breeze through the engine bay ? Engine temperature rises...

That's why I don't use one or see the reason for it if you're sensible.

I just take it easy last few miles of any journeys
Old 18 November 2012, 08:59 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Lol your engine your choice
Don't have an Impreza so makes no odds to me - just trying to help someone save wasting a single penny on something which is useless on an Impreza engine!
Old 18 November 2012, 09:06 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

I understand that brun but it depends on year and bhp surely I just take it as a natural thing to do with all turbos I've owned, totally agree modern turbos realistically shouldn't need it, and 100 pound for peace of mind is pittance as far as I'm concerned.

Waz it's not a engine temp issue it's an oil flow or lack of it through the turbo when you've turned the car off.

Of course just my opinion and your welcome do as you wish I do
Old 18 November 2012, 09:11 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

An Impreza's turbo is water cooled and as the header tank is above the turbo, due to natural convection, the turbo will continue to be cooled after switch off - surely the amount of bhp has **** all to do with it?
Old 18 November 2012, 09:11 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Turbo timers are a big no no! Like above, you sit in traffic with the engine running and the temp rises.
Your better off driving off boost and let it cool. DO NOT leave your car running without you in it. It's the time of year where people let the windows melt while they are warm in the house and a theive comes along and says cheers..

Happened locally here to a woman and the stupid bint wasn't too worried as she had insurance. - They didn't cover her and she lost her BWM..
Old 18 November 2012, 09:29 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Waz it's not a engine temp issue it's an oil flow or lack of it through the turbo when you've turned the car off.
What has that got to do with anything??
If the turbo is not rotating it doesn't need an oil flow and any heat remaining is removed by the coolant.

The only time a turbo timer is really needed is in a racing situation or when its a non water cooled turbo and you are using mineral oil which is prone to cook and cause carbon build up.
Semi and Full synthetics oils reduce this problem to a minimum.
Old 18 November 2012, 09:39 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Apologies I should have put for early turbos, yes I know they are water cooled, and yes new age oils cut carbon build up to a minimum but it can still happen, I don't use a turbo timer as I've no need for one I was suggesting it as a precorsion to a first time turbo owner a £100 isn't even a night on the town. I always run my engine down its something I've always done on turbos and always will weather it's needed or not
Old 18 November 2012, 10:22 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since fitting an oil temperature gauge, it's amazing how long it takes for oil to get up to temperature. Water temps are a poor guide. Warm up routine is critical.
Old 18 November 2012, 10:30 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
What has that got to do with anything??
If the turbo is not rotating it doesn't need an oil flow and any heat remaining is removed by the coolant.

The only time a turbo timer is really needed is in a racing situation or when its a non water cooled turbo and you are using mineral oil which is prone to cook and cause carbon build up.
Semi and Full synthetics oils reduce this problem to a minimum.
Sure about that?

A few years ago I had a Seat Leon 20VT as a company car (so essentially a VW Golf with a bit more poke) and I caned it everywhere and didn't worry too much about taking it easy before stopping or leaving it ticking over. When it went back to the lease company the turbo was goosed. When cold it ran OK'ish but as soon as the car got to temp if would overheat and then slow down until 70 was it and the temp gauge was in the red. Pop the bonnet and the whole turbo and exhaust manifold was glowing bright orange.
With the Evo I have now if I get back after giving it some stick the hotside is bright orange, and there is no way I'm turning the engine off then. Leave it ticking over for about 3 mins and it's OK. I accept the better solution, which I usually take, is to drive easy for the last couple of miles.
This is not as great an issue on an Impreza as the turbo is further from the exhaust valves but the principle is still the same.
Old 19 November 2012, 07:47 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
Sure about that?

A few years ago I had a Seat Leon 20VT as a company car (so essentially a VW Golf with a bit more poke) and I caned it everywhere and didn't worry too much about taking it easy before stopping or leaving it ticking over. When it went back to the lease company the turbo was goosed. When cold it ran OK'ish but as soon as the car got to temp if would overheat and then slow down until 70 was it and the temp gauge was in the red. Pop the bonnet and the whole turbo and exhaust manifold was glowing bright orange.
With the Evo I have now if I get back after giving it some stick the hotside is bright orange, and there is no way I'm turning the engine off then. Leave it ticking over for about 3 mins and it's OK. I accept the better solution, which I usually take, is to drive easy for the last couple of miles.
This is not as great an issue on an Impreza as the turbo is further from the exhaust valves but the principle is still the same.
Says it all really...................

Have you read the whole thread ???
Old 19 November 2012, 09:37 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your money will be much better spent on a set of gauges, there is no turbo warm up procedure, it's the oil that needs to be up to temp before going on boost for the health and well being of the engine.

Gauges take the guess work out of this and let you know when it's all good and also when to take it easy if the oil is too hot @ circa 120 degrees.

It's good practise to take it easy for a mile or two before stopping the car, if only to be sure all is well after giving it death.

I'd recommend oil temp, pressure and boost gauges as a bare minimum, some will say it's not necessary on a road car, but i like to know whats going on under the bonnet, and a boost gauge helps with fuel economy too.
Old 19 November 2012, 10:42 AM
sweden
Scooby Regular

seems i need to explain myself
I dont know the op at all so i have no idea if he is 19 and thinks he can drive like Ken Block, fills his system with tap water and occasionally adds the cheapist oil he can buy when the oil light comes on, but in replying to his question i take it as that and advice to him to let the turbo cool down (sorry should have said drive off boost),and advice if hes not sure then as a peace of mind grab a turbo timer as a precaution.

should he need one no But and thats a big BUT we have no idea how he drives or the car has or will be treated, im more than happy to suggest as a precation to get a timer fitted, of course my opinion only
Old 19 November 2012, 02:35 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

turbo timer=waste of money.

sitting stationary to warm up/cool down=waste of time.

warm up=start it drive it off boost until oil temp is up.

warm down=drive off boost for the last few miles or an appropriate distance based on the oil temp\how you have been driving the car, arrive at destination and switch engine off.

Everything else=internet noise.

HTH the OP
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 November 2012, 02:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails

warm down=drive off boost for the last few miles or an appropriate distance based on the oil temp\how you have been driving the car, arrive at destination and switch engine off.

HTH the OP
Here endeth the lesson
Old 19 November 2012, 03:08 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trails

HTH the OP
+2
Old 19 November 2012, 03:20 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

+3
Old 19 November 2012, 05:58 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wazlee
+3
+4

Quick Reply: Turbo, warm up and cool down?