Sponsored by:

looking at 2008 sti any thoughts and comments

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2012, 10:12 PM
paulob1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at 2008 sti any thoughts and comments

AM looking into getting a 2008 sti....though being to have it remapped to 360 bhp and leave it at that...anyone got any knowledge on this...is it a reliable upgrade...it already has the PPP upgrade to 330 bhp...
Old 17 November 2012, 10:48 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

What is the history of the car you are looking at, have the engine internal been upgraded?

As you are probably aware the 2.5 in the STi hatch is renowned for ringland failure.
Old 18 November 2012, 09:22 AM
paulob1
Scooby Regular

NO EVERYTHING IS STD AND WANT TO THINK ABOUT TAKING THIS CAR AND MAKING IT A 400 BHP OR MORE CAR, OR WOULD I BE BETTER STARTING with a classic which I love the shape of (wagon only) and then build that intoa 500 bhp car...
Old 18 November 2012, 09:34 AM
paulob1
Scooby Regular

just getting a quote from slowboy to build the engine...really want to aim for 500 bhp...but just wondering if its better to do it with a newer car...
Old 18 November 2012, 10:13 AM
staccato
Scooby Regular

I have an 08 STI. Has a cobrasport catted down pipe, prodrive cat back, slow boy remap and k&n panel filter as well as a host of handling upgrades. Not a hiccup in the 6k the mods have been on for so far
Old 18 November 2012, 10:18 AM
paulob1
Scooby Regular

what power you getting, this one has the PPP upgrade so 330 bhp and just wondering on the merits of more power..

lots of ideas but my thoughts are heading toward getting the 2008 upgraded to 360 bhp and leave her at that...then do the work on an old wagon classic which i love the shape of...I want reliable as well as power but wondering if its best to split the two plans..

how much power are you running
Old 18 November 2012, 10:21 AM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulob1
what power you getting, this one has the PPP upgrade so 330 bhp and just wondering on the merits of more power..

lots of ideas but my thoughts are heading toward getting the 2008 upgraded to 360 bhp and leave her at that...then do the work on an old wagon classic which i love the shape of...I want reliable as well as power but wondering if its best to split the two plans..

how much power are you running
I never had a rolling road test done as Neil at slowboy does the mapping on the open road without using a dyno, but based on what other people have achieved with the same mods, including in the states it's around 355-360bhp at the flywheel.

I was told by nearly all tuners I called that the downpipe was the best thing to change for power, but to not necessarily go decatted as the 200cel sports catted ones produce more power. Have no idea how - maybe something to do with having an effective balance of back pressure or something. Either way I was told this by 3 UK scooby tuners independently.
Old 18 November 2012, 10:45 AM
paulob1
Scooby Regular

that would be enough for me reliability wise I guess....I think I will buy the 2008 car and then go for a 500 bhp monster clasic, with all new parts...want to fit wider wheels and those bolt on arches and stiffer springs so that I have a goodish track day car...