Sponsored by:

New and looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2012, 05:48 PM
naj
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and looking for advice!

Hello everyone! I am new here, and at 18 years old without a years experience... I don't have a scoob... yet. I am driving a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE nothing interesting but alright as a second car lol.

I do want one for my next car though.

I just wanted to know around what age you can reasonably be insured on which Impreza? I don't know the difference between them all and don't know what to be looking for. I can't afford to run one just yet but I was thinking next summer to splash out on one. I am due to get 1ncb this December and am prepared to pay a fair bit to insure a scoob.

Any advice?

Thanks

Naj
Old 27 October 2012, 05:50 PM
v8rumbler
Scooby Newbie

Go On moneysupermarket.com enter your details and change the car for different models
Old 27 October 2012, 06:05 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

21 at the very least.

Depending on your location, and if you have any convictions between now and then, be prepared to be paying £3k-£4k.
Old 27 October 2012, 06:13 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lottery win
Old 27 October 2012, 06:47 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Can you put you on the insurance as a named driver?
Old 27 October 2012, 06:51 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Can you put you on the insurance as a named driver?
Old 27 October 2012, 07:04 PM
naj
Scooby Newbie

So basically, no. lol
Nope I will be main driver for my car, not prepared to be fronting just for a nicer car.
So even at 21 insurance will be stupid?
Old 27 October 2012, 07:07 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I waited till I was 21, it helped having expericance in other performance cars. But it doesn't end with insurance, you need to take into account petrol and servicing. Good tyres are also important.
Old 27 October 2012, 07:10 PM
naj
Scooby Newbie

Scooby dream has quickly been shattered lol
What other turbo petrol cars are insurable for younger drivers then? I bet I sound like a proper chav newb..
Old 27 October 2012, 08:01 PM
Bugeyeruss
Scooby Regular

im 29 with a yrs NCB and i pay 1100 fully comp on my STI, my brother is 23 and has a standard WRX and he pays 2k, having a scooby is an expensive hobby lol
Old 27 October 2012, 08:06 PM
craigginger
Scooby Regular

im 26 have 3 yrs ncb and i pay 750 on my WRX Import so if you can keep your insurance clean for the next 4 years you maybe able to get an impreza
Old 27 October 2012, 08:08 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

It's a catch 22 situation insurance will ask you how much experience you have in these cars and the fact you have none because you can't get insurance cheaply until your at least 25 with a few years experience in these kind of cars your always going to have to pay top dollar to get insured.
Old 27 October 2012, 08:21 PM
naj
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stonejedi
It's a catch 22 situation insurance will ask you how much experience you have in these cars and the fact you have none because you can't get insurance cheaply until your at least 25 with a few years experience in these kind of cars your always going to have to pay top dollar to get insured.
Will insurance really ask that? I swear they only ask about your experience in general and not in specific types of cars?
Old 27 October 2012, 08:24 PM
Bugeyeruss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by naj
Will insurance really ask that? I swear they only ask about your experience in general and not in specific types of cars?
im with adrain flux and they asked, best thing to do mate is work your way up to a decent scoob
Old 27 October 2012, 08:26 PM
naj
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bugeyeruss
im with adrain flux and they asked, best thing to do mate is work your way up to a decent scoob
Ahh I've heard of good stuff about adrian flux, but for over 21's. I suppose I'll just wait then. Tbh I don't even want to go quick, just really want the turbo noise lol my n/a 2.0 is kind of boring, might just remove the mid silencer for a straight pipe for some more noise lol
Old 27 October 2012, 08:29 PM
Bugeyeruss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by naj
Ahh I've heard of good stuff about adrian flux, but for over 21's. I suppose I'll just wait then. Tbh I don't even want to go quick, just really want the turbo noise lol my n/a 2.0 is kind of boring, might just remove the mid silencer for a straight pipe for some more noise lol
there a great insurance firm mate, ive had my cars with them for years, might be worth seeing if you have a local broker that would do a bit of running for a quote? i used to use a great firm from north london that saved me big bucks on my old RS, times have changed though.
i see something about young drivers having black boxes fitted to there cars just so they can get insured these days
Old 27 October 2012, 08:33 PM
naj
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bugeyeruss
there a great insurance firm mate, ive had my cars with them for years, might be worth seeing if you have a local broker that would do a bit of running for a quote? i used to use a great firm from north london that saved me big bucks on my old RS, times have changed though.
i see something about young drivers having black boxes fitted to there cars just so they can get insured these days
Yep I got quite lucky to be honest. I passed last December (after 10 lessons and 0 minors ) Bought myself a 1.2 corsa as you do.. drove it for 7 months with a black box from Co-op (£1600, fully comp). I then called them in August and asked to remove the black box and give me a new quote, using the data for the 7 months they were able to add on discount to get me insured on my Coupe for an extra £350 waiting on my renewal.

And considering I have done nearly 20,000 miles in the first year of driving with no incidents (yet) co-op were very lenient in the quote they gave me
Old 27 October 2012, 08:37 PM
Bugeyeruss
Scooby Regular

oh right thats pretty good, ive been told the co-op are a decent lot, i had my Range rover sport with swift cover, never again i got royally screwed over by them when it got stolen, lucky they havent mad them black boxes compulsory for older drivers lol