Sponsored by:

milltek

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2012, 09:19 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milltek

hi,does anyone on here run a full 3" decat with no resonators with a milltek backbox?
i have the same set up with a 3" hayward & scott scoobysport backbox and my god its loud,i like the sound but its just too loud.(classic)
im considering buying the 3" milltek backbox and would like to know if this will give me the result im looking for? a much quieter exhaust! also is the milltek backbox only made for the newage car? or is there one for a classic?,i know i can use the newage one just not using 3rd hanger.
or if there are any other backboxes in 3" that i can purchase that would reduce the noise,but im not into raspy exhausts!
any help appriciated as always.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:18 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a complete miltek 3" system on my classic, had one small resonator in the middle section. I ended up selling it as it was just way too quiet for my liking.

You may struggle, at the time I wanted to just swap the rear box to something louder and keep the miltek downpipe and middle section. I found out that miltek use completely different pipe length to other systems so other brands are not interchangeable with them. I suppose they do it so If you want a miltek backbox you have to buy the entire system, I think mine was best part of £1000 when new.
See link below....
http://www.powerstation.org.uk/milltek.asp

I ended up selling the entire system on here to someone who wanted a quiet system and I purchased another setup.
The miltek is a great system, well made, nice sound and quiet. Would probably suit you just fine chap but be prepared for a big spend if going new.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 17 October 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:19 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

i have a feeling that Milltek system sections are unique lengths , but not sure if it includes the backbox. My newage one is turbo back with no cat , but think its resonated , and its quite tame in the noise department.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:27 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I had a complete miltek 3" system on my classic, had one small resonator in the middle section. I ended up selling it as it was just way too quiet for my liking.

You may struggle, at the time I wanted to just swap the rear box to something louder and keep the miltek downpipe and middle section. I found out that miltek use completely different pipe length to other systems so other brands are not interchangeable with them. I suppose they do it so If you want a miltek backbox you have to buy the entire system, I think mine was best part of £1000 when new.
See link below....
http://www.powerstation.org.uk/milltek.asp

I ended up selling the entire system on here to someone who wanted a quiet system and I purchased another setup.
The miltek is a great system, well made, nice sound and quiet. Would probably suit you just fine chap but be prepared for a big spend if going new.

im pretty sure you are right about the different lengths,but im 99% sure that the milltek backbox is just the ordinary design/length,the down pipe and centre are different,but there are many different combos that work...
for example,.i know someone running a prodrive sports cat down pipe,millteck centre(2.75) and a prodrive backbox on a bug and it all fits.
im hopeing that its just the downpipe/centre section lengths that are different,when you look at the milltek backbox it certainly looks normal length.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:27 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
i have a feeling that Milltek system sections are unique lengths , but not sure if it includes the backbox. My newage one is turbo back with no cat , but think its resonated , and its quite tame in the noise department.
are you running the 2.75" system or true 3"?
Old 17 October 2012, 10:30 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

from looking at the powerstation link,it states it will only fit the rest of the milltek system,i dont think that is right.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:47 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

I'm 99% certain the miltek back box will only meet up with a miltek centre, I'd of only changed my rear box otherwise chap.

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2012, 10:58 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

I'm 99% certain the miltek back box will only meet up with a miltek centre, I'd of only changed my rear box otherwise chap.
chronic1 was selling a milltek backbox that was mated to the rest of his prodrive system,i would have bought it but it was only the 2.75 version.
i hope someone can confirm this as i think the milltek backbox is the normal length,i may be wrong,but it looks like any other backbox.
i think milltek saying this will only fit....MILLTEK! i wonder why?
Old 18 October 2012, 05:51 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I think the 2.75 is interchangable however the true 3' isn't
Old 18 October 2012, 07:30 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine is 2nd hand and was told it was 3" but couldnt be sure.
Old 18 October 2012, 11:00 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a 3" miltek fitted to my car and a 2.75 in the garage, They are all the same length backbox, It's the flange on the backbox to centre section that is slightly off centre to the OEM fitment, I had the flange cut off and rotated about 15mm and welded back on so matches my centre section, It will fit without but won't sit straight and will be very close to the bumper so you would risk melting it.

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 18 October 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 18 October 2012, 11:16 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Ive got a 3" miltek fitted to my car and a 2.75 in the garage, They are all the same length backbox, It's the flange on the backbox to centre section that is slightly off centre to the OEM fitment, I had the flange cut off and rotated about 15mm and welded back on so matches my centre section, It will fit without but won't sit straight and will be very close to the bumper so you would risk melting it.
Is your centre section miltek too ??
Old 18 October 2012, 06:19 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Is your centre section miltek too ??
Nope, Which is why they wont fit and sit straight they only match up to a milltek as far as i know due to the flange, Easy job to cut and re-weld the flange so the 3" fits perfectly now, 2.75 is going up for sale along with another 3" backbox but quite a loud one so no use to the OP.
Old 18 October 2012, 06:22 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

ffs! all i want is a quiet true 3" backbox that bolts on! how hard can it be?

so if i was to buy a milltek centre section(true 3") and the backbox to match,would this fit? or should i just not bother messing about with this milltek stuff?
i wont be buying a full system at those rediculous prices.
Old 18 October 2012, 06:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

dbrad is selling a miltek system if your after one cheap?

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread...re-and-backbox
Old 18 October 2012, 06:58 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon

so if i was to buy a milltek centre section(true 3") and the backbox to match,would this fit? or should i just not bother messing about with this milltek stuff?
As long as it matched your downpipe
Old 18 October 2012, 08:59 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Nope, you'll need the miltek downpipe too.

Here you go, these fit perfectly, cheap, very well made, look nice and sound great without being too loud

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...E_CLASSIC.html

Or just the rear box, picture shows 2.5" pipe work but can come in 3" if you call Tim

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/..._CLASSIC_.html
Old 18 October 2012, 09:04 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
dbrad is selling a miltek system if your after one cheap?

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread...re-and-backbox
i have sent him a pm,but will this fit with my original 3" classic downpipe?
Old 18 October 2012, 09:04 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
As long as it matched your downpipe
Old 18 October 2012, 09:05 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Nope, you'll need the miltek downpipe too.

Here you go, these fit perfectly, cheap, very well made, look nice and sound great without being too loud

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...E_CLASSIC.html

Or just the rear box, picture shows 2.5" pipe work but can come in 3" if you call Tim

i think this would be too loud as it comes with the bung!
Old 18 October 2012, 09:06 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

i have sent him a pm,but will this fit with my original 3" classic downpipe?
Yes it will fit a 3" downpipe.

PM ????
He doesn't use this site. Call him, his name is Tim and he's a really helpful and nice chap.

Or just buy this ---

And sell your whole system as a complete setup.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 18 October 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 18 October 2012, 09:08 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

i think this would be too loud as it comes with the bung!
It's not loud mate, open it up and it is but just cruising about its fine, and that's without the bung.

How quiet do you want to go, if you really don't want any noise then you'll have to opt for a 2.5" prodrive system.
Old 18 October 2012, 09:14 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

It's not loud mate, open it up and it is but just cruising about its fine, and that's without the bung.

How quiet do you want to go, if you really don't want any noise then you'll have to opt for a 2.5" prodrive system.
well i was originally running a hks legamax 3" backbox but fancied something different,i went for the h&s scooby sport as ive had these in 2.5" before and they sound nice,not too loud but also a nice growl.
but when i fitted the 3" h&s as the rest of the system is 3" stright through i was pretty shocked,ok on idle,fine at motorway speed,but normal driving or anything over 2k revs is just crazy noise,and i thought h&s were supposed to be fairly quiet!

Last edited by 99greenwagon; 18 October 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 18 October 2012, 09:15 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/...7008257A6C.mp4

With GT spec headers
Old 18 October 2012, 09:29 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Yes it will fit a 3" downpipe.

PM ????
He doesn't use this site. Call him, his name is Tim and he's a really helpful and nice chap.

Or just buy this ---

And sell your whole system as a complete setup.

i meant pmd dbrad about the milltek, matty im running true 3" downpipe and that system above narrows to 2.5",so wont fit.
also,ive had my car mapped and really didnt see the need to mess about and need another map tweek,just want it a bit quieter.i have brand new downpipe,brand new non resonated centre section and its just my backbox is too loud,i cant seem to find anywhere that sells anything like what im after and cant really see atm what my options are as regards to another backbox,other than the hks legamax box which ive bloody sold!
Old 18 October 2012, 10:11 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

The tornado system doesn't narrow to 2.5", complete true 3" system. I have it on my car. The advert says it reduces but call him and he can supply the full 3" setup.

Ring Tim at scoobyparts, tell him you want the tornado back box with 3" pipework. Buy it, fit it, drive it.

Simple as that.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 18 October 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 18 October 2012, 10:22 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

The tornado system doesn't narrow to 2.5", complete true 3" system. I have it on my car. The advert says it reduces but call him and he can supply the full 3" setup.

Ring Tim at scoobyparts, tell him you want the tornado back box with 3" pipework. Buy it, fit it, drive it.

Simple as that.
and.......
probably freak out at the noise and say"ffs! here we go again"
is yours a resonated centre matty?
Old 18 October 2012, 10:24 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

imo that sounds loud,similar to my system atm.
Old 19 October 2012, 07:54 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Be careful when swapping exhaust components about that you don't alter the back pressure etc. Resonators, baffles and pipe work bends all make a difference to a custom map so you may need a tweak regardless. Bob Rawle said to me when I asked about swapping a straight exit back box to angle exit that it should be ok if the back boxes were similar size and similarly resonated/baffled. Otherwise I would have required a map tweak on my ECUtek. Just something to think about before changing everything 99GW.

I still say simply buy a Cobrasport track day back box and go from there. Be warned as above on flange fittings, I found this out. Standard is a diagonal fit but many aftermarket ones have horizontal fittings which obviously need chopped and moved about.
Old 19 October 2012, 07:52 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Be careful when swapping exhaust components about that you don't alter the back pressure etc. Resonators, baffles and pipe work bends all make a difference to a custom map so you may need a tweak regardless. Bob Rawle said to me when I asked about swapping a straight exit back box to angle exit that it should be ok if the back boxes were similar size and similarly resonated/baffled. Otherwise I would have required a map tweak on my ECUtek. Just something to think about before changing everything 99GW.

I still say simply buy a Cobrasport track day back box and go from there. Be warned as above on flange fittings, I found this out. Standard is a diagonal fit but many aftermarket ones have horizontal fittings which obviously need chopped and moved about.

thanks for the info,i do like the look of the jetex half system,it looks well made and also similar bends etc to whats on the car,but £350 is a bit pricey to make the exhaust a bit queter!

the cobra sport trackday box imo will look hidious on the back of my type r,the box looks really wide,and im not so sure that it will look right,i must be a fussy git!

Quick Reply: milltek