Sponsored by:

subaru all new to me ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2012, 12:02 AM
leet1983
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subaru all new to me ??????????

hi there im currently on the look out for a subaru impreza wrx looking at a blob eye model is there anything when looking at the cars i need to beaware off as im spending 3k-4k of my hard earned pennies and dont wanna buy a dog/heap any help would be appreciated as it will be the first subaru im goin to buy/own
Old 14 October 2012, 12:06 AM
Stu.sti
Scooby Regular

Service history is a must
Old 14 October 2012, 12:09 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

welcome to the site matey

for around 4k you wont get a blobeye sti but you should get a mint wrx for that money with a decent spec,as with any car you buy check all fluids etc look for smoke/leaks etc and dont be put off by mileage,buy it on the way it drives/history etc, my blobeye has 94k on the clock and its brilliant also check timing belt/water pump history if there is none then get money off to have it done

remember that these sort of cars are not luxury drivers so dont expect a smooth quiet ride,a bit of transmission noise is to be expected

good luck in your search mate you wont regret it when you get one
Old 14 October 2012, 12:28 AM
leet1983
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for info it's appreciated it's the wrx I'm after Sti is out of my price range the reason I posted this is because I don't wanna get ripped off and someone sell me a nail I'm selling my beloved Yamaha r1 to buy one because I have a young son and need to calm down with the bikes, my bike is mint and my pride and joy if I'm selling it to buy a Subaru I want to have the same respect for it if u know what I mean if anybody knows of any common faults please add and I'll watch out for these when viewing cars, cheers lee

Last edited by leet1983; 14 October 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Forgot to say cheers
Old 14 October 2012, 12:32 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by leet1983
Thanks for info it's appreciated it's the wrx I'm after Sti is out of my price range the reason I posted this is because I don't wanna get ripped off and someone sell me a nail I'm selling my beloved Yamaha r1 to buy one because I have a young son and need to calm down with the bikes, my bike is mint and my pride and joy if I'm selling it to buy a Subaru I want to have the same respect for it if u know what I mean if anybody knows of any common faults please add and I'll watch out for these when viewing cars
common problem is poor maintenance really ie poor quality oils/oil changes not being done on time and being thrashed from cold etc,if the guy selling it looks like a chav ******* then walk away,also if its had any mods who were they done by? most performance mods on a scoob will require it to be remapped so check things like that
Old 14 October 2012, 01:29 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the guy selling it looks like a chav ******* walk the **** away...

Priceless advice by the shreksta......

Here is mine
WRXs are ****e save up for an STi don't join the wannabe crowd..
Old 14 October 2012, 07:37 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GoML-STi
If the guy selling it looks like a chav ******* walk the **** away...

Priceless advice by the shreksta......

Here is mine
WRXs are ****e save up for an STi don't join the wannabe crowd..
^^ Just got back from the disco and had a few too many shandys.

Ignore the STI fanboys, not everyone wants an STI, and with his stated budget he should get a nice WRX.

A lightly modded WRX is a faster car than a standard STI in the real world and a nicer daily driver, the only reason to get an STI is if you plan to mod the ar$e off it, but if you want a quick road car thats easy to live with but has plenty of punch when your in the mood then a WRX is the place to be, and you can tweek it as and when funds allow.

Only other thing to watch out for is there was a recall on WRX blobs for the front wishbones rusting, make sure this has been checked, or check them yourself.

Appart from that normal rules apply, make sure it's had regular oil changes and as above that the cambelt has been done and is not due anytime soon, i'd also pay close attention to tyres, disc and pad condition because if all of the above need replacing your looking at a £1k bill.

If you see a car your interested in post the link and we'll give you our opinion.

Happy hunting.
Old 14 October 2012, 12:12 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For not much more than £4k you could buy a bugeye STi, better basis to start with when the tuning bug bites you (as it will !)
Old 14 October 2012, 12:42 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

It`s also good if the rear shocks have been replaced, or modified with a grease nipple, to prevent them knocking as they wear from lack of grease.