Sponsored by:

Cleaning my car help

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2012, 05:53 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cleaning my car help

Right chaps, I plan to give the old heap a good clean up tomorrow but am unsure of the best method.
Just been to Halfords and got a bag full of stuff that the 12 year old employee said I'd need.

My process (please advise if its wrong)

1. Wash car with 'nano tech formula' shampoo using the two bucket method. I have a soft sheeps wool mit thing too.
2. Rinse car off and dry using new leather.
3. Polish with 'autoglym' super resin polish and autoglym polish applicator. Remove polish with soft cloth.
4. Apply wax (turtle wax original) using the same method as the polish and then remove with another soft cloth.

Does this sound about right ?
Didn't think I'd need to wax it after polish but it apparently helps to protect the paint.

Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks,

Matt.
Old 13 October 2012, 05:56 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Right chaps, I plan to give the old heap a good clean up tomorrow but am unsure of the best method.
Just been to Halfords and got a bag full of stuff that the 12 year old employee said I'd need.

My process (please advise if its wrong)

1. Wash car with 'nano tech formula' shampoo using the two bucket method. I have a soft sheeps wool mit thing too.
2. Rinse car off and dry using new leather.
3. Polish with 'autoglym' super resin polish and autoglym polish applicator. Remove polish with soft cloth.
4. Apply wax (turtle wax original) using the same method as the polish and then remove with another soft cloth.

Does this sound about right ?
Didn't think I'd need to wax it after polish but it apparently helps to protect the paint.

Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks,

Matt.
All sounds good,but 2 buckets and a hose/pressure wash is better.Also if it a new leather it will be rubbish for 2/3 washes,it will leave greasy streaks.Polish polishes,wax protects what you have polished.
Old 13 October 2012, 06:03 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This will easily take a few hours. I done mine with a Silverline buffer, was worth it in the end
Old 13 October 2012, 06:04 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I have heard chamois isnt the best. Pat dry with a towel , reduces swirls.
Old 13 October 2012, 06:07 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I have heard chamois isnt the best. Pat dry with a towel , reduces swirls.
Microfiber cloth works well
Old 13 October 2012, 06:24 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

a chamois is brilliant,it dries my car 100% mark free but they need a few uses to wash the juice out.The marks a new one will leave will come off with the polish coat.If your car is very dirty you could consider claying it,but sometimes they do more damage if your not careful .As said above everything else use microfibre cloths,supermarket multibuys are best value,you will need at least half a dozen ..Halfrauds want an arm and a leg
Old 13 October 2012, 06:37 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

1st I give it a good jetwash no matter how dirty then I use my poundstretcher (£6) foam lance attached to a garden hose to get some suds goin, 2 bucket wash with a fibre mit, jetwash all the suds off, tip: use a hose with no attachment to final rinse as it sheets the water and is easier to dry, microfibre towell for drying every time, then a coat of srp and finish with a wax, dodo is good if you have the time, that's my method anyway
Old 13 October 2012, 06:39 PM
gixxerjoe
Scooby Regular

I would get a clay bar kit for after the wash and dry mate makes a big difference.
Old 13 October 2012, 06:49 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I followed the guides here.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...re-advice.html
Old 13 October 2012, 07:09 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

use the site above next time much better kit. And a clay bar would be a real benefit.
Old 13 October 2012, 07:23 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bugger off to this section: https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/
Old 13 October 2012, 07:25 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Don't use a chamois leather. If you get a fine piece of grit trapped between the leather and your paint it will scratch. Use a waffle weave drying towel.
Old 13 October 2012, 07:34 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

I'd ditch the Turtle wax and get some Finish Kare 1000P. Cheap, goes a long way and gives amazing finish and protection for the winter.

I'd personally also both de iron, de tar and use a decent claybar before the polishing stage for best results.

My routine consists of.

The car when I got it had been lookd after pretty well by the previous owner. Mainly using Dodo Juice products.
But when I get a car new to me I like to start from scratch and give it a full going over. It took getting on for 6 hours but I think it looks the part now.

Washed with Werkstat auto body wash, using a Dooka woolie wash pad and the two bucket method.
Iron Xed (which I still think STINKS) then rinsed well.
Clayed with Dodo Juice Supernatural Clay & Born to be Slippy Lube. (as usual a surprising amount of contaminates were pulled out of the paint)
Polished with Menzerna Power Finish (PO203S) using a German Applicator pad
Rinsed off and dried with a Dodo Juice Orange Plush - Microfibre Car Drying Towel.

I was then kind of caught in two minds as to what to use on the now clean paintwork. I've got the entire Werkstat Acrylic kit which I used to great effect on my Championship White Civic Type R. I was unsure how this would of worked with the WR Blue paintwork. I've also got a good selection of different waxes. Dodo Juice Supernatural, Dodo Juice Bouncer, Zymol Glasur, Zymol Concours & Swissvax Best of Show to name a few

However I was waiting for a excuse to use the Finish Kare #1000P which I purchased a few weeks back. I applied a thin coat with a dampened foam applicator pad and left for 20-30 minutes for it to cure. It was then removed with a large microfibre. I repeated a second coat to ensure complete coverage. Went on nice and easy, although it was a bit tough to completely remove. The results were really nice and slick looking with hopefully great durability over the winter months.

Then given a double coat of Finish Kare #425 Ultra Slick Polywipe for an extra glossy finish.

Wheels were also sealed with 1000P and the tyres blackened with a Turtle wax spray on sealant that a mate of mine living in the states sent me. Sprays on and leaves a nice wet looking tyre without looking to over the top.

Exhaust backbox was cleaned and polished with Auto Glym Metal polish.

Think she comes up pretty well.

Claybar pulling crap out of the paint

Old 13 October 2012, 07:38 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

always rinse it first mate before you start washing with your mitt as it will remove loose dirt/grit-ideally you want to snow foam it 1st and dont forget to blast under the arches and clean your door/boot shuts as grime builds up there quite badly
Old 13 October 2012, 07:38 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

matty surely you have an eastern european car wash near you.

£5

job done
Old 13 October 2012, 07:40 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
matty surely you have an eastern european car wash near you.

£5

job done
no no no no no no dont listen to tubby as he has obviously been drinking-never take your car to them take pride in your car mate and enjoy cleaning it

tubby tommy............tut tut tut
Old 13 October 2012, 07:42 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
no no no no no no dont listen to tubby as he has obviously been drinking-never take your car to them take pride in your car mate and enjoy cleaning it

tubby tommy............tut tut tut
lol do you think i was serious
Old 13 October 2012, 07:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

lol do you think i was serious
who knows with you

my mate takes his evo 6 to the turks and when he does i just give him "the look of disgust"
Old 13 October 2012, 07:54 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
who knows with you

my mate takes his evo 6 to the turks and when he does i just give him "the look of disgust"
what for owning an evo
Old 13 October 2012, 07:58 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
I'd ditch the Turtle wax and get some Finish Kare 1000P. Cheap, goes a long way and gives amazing finish and protection for the winter.

I'd personally also both de iron, de tar and use a decent claybar before the polishing stage for best results.

My routine consists of.

The car when I got it had been lookd after pretty well by the previous owner. Mainly using Dodo Juice products.
But when I get a car new to me I like to start from scratch and give it a full going over. It took getting on for 6 hours but I think it looks the part now.

Washed with Werkstat auto body wash, using a Dooka woolie wash pad and the two bucket method.
Iron Xed (which I still think STINKS) then rinsed well.
Clayed with Dodo Juice Supernatural Clay & Born to be Slippy Lube. (as usual a surprising amount of contaminates were pulled out of the paint)
Polished with Menzerna Power Finish (PO203S) using a German Applicator pad
Rinsed off and dried with a Dodo Juice Orange Plush - Microfibre Car Drying Towel.

I was then kind of caught in two minds as to what to use on the now clean paintwork. I've got the entire Werkstat Acrylic kit which I used to great effect on my Championship White Civic Type R. I was unsure how this would of worked with the WR Blue paintwork. I've also got a good selection of different waxes. Dodo Juice Supernatural, Dodo Juice Bouncer, Zymol Glasur, Zymol Concours & Swissvax Best of Show to name a few

However I was waiting for a excuse to use the Finish Kare #1000P which I purchased a few weeks back. I applied a thin coat with a dampened foam applicator pad and left for 20-30 minutes for it to cure. It was then removed with a large microfibre. I repeated a second coat to ensure complete coverage. Went on nice and easy, although it was a bit tough to completely remove. The results were really nice and slick looking with hopefully great durability over the winter months.

Then given a double coat of Finish Kare #425 Ultra Slick Polywipe for an extra glossy finish.

Wheels were also sealed with 1000P and the tyres blackened with a Turtle wax spray on sealant that a mate of mine living in the states sent me. Sprays on and leaves a nice wet looking tyre without looking to over the top.

Exhaust backbox was cleaned and polished with Auto Glym Metal polish.

Think she comes up pretty well.

Claybar pulling crap out of the paint

Right! When you doing mine
Old 13 October 2012, 08:07 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

what for owning an evo
hahaha yeah-i get worried they might wash the rust off it
Old 14 October 2012, 09:24 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Think it went pretty well...........

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...l#post10828637
Old 15 October 2012, 10:30 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KAS35RSTI
Right! When you doing mine
Whenever you like mate

Just ordered myself a DAS6 Pro so results may well get even better
Old 15 October 2012, 04:52 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

I like the DAS6 polisher, has a good feel. The silverline is ancient with so much weight!