Some slight issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2012, 09:43 PM
Matt M
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some slight issues!

Hello everyone!
After much deliberation I have decided not to sell my Scooby! So what I am going to do is rectify the few issues I have with it hopefully with some help from members on here!
It's a 2004 WRX PPP which is pretty much stock other than some engine internals.
The problems I have are as follows:
1. Bad vibrations at motorway cruising speed. I've had the wheels balanced but it is still as bad and I wondered if anything else needed to be balanced. You can drive through it as it only vibrates between 65 and 75 mph!
2. The car sometimes hiccups quite badly when low speed but hard cornering.
Other than the above the car works exactly as it should and never misses a beat so was wondering if the above were common faults and easily rectified.
I could also do with some new pads and wondered what people recommended?
Thanks very much in advance.
Old 02 October 2012, 10:19 PM
kez wrx
Scooby Newbie

Hello there,
have you got after market wheels on?
Old 03 October 2012, 08:37 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Do you let the fuel get below a quarter of a tank?
Old 03 October 2012, 09:00 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buckled alloy or out of shape tyre, or possibly warped discs.

As for the hiccup thing, can you explain exactly what that means ie the engine is hiccuping or possibly something along the lines of the suspension?
Old 03 October 2012, 09:03 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

i no it sounds silly but my scooby car that did the same in the end i put new tyres on and everything was ok

was gutted as they were googyear eagles with loas tread but they wore funny and no matter how much tracking and balanceing i did they still did it so went with new avons in stead
Old 03 October 2012, 09:18 AM
paulob1
Scooby Regular

my tyre got a bulge because it had a slow puncture, it didnt show up on the balancing rig, but once warm it grew and caused an almighty vibration above 50 mph, a new tyre was needed, actually a new tyre and a new wheel, that visit cost me over 900 quid as i was on my way on holiday ouch..

is the vibration through the body of the car if so its the rear wheels,
if its through the steering column its the front wheels...
try swapping the front wheels to the back...or rotating them around the car and see what happens...

a buckled wheel can be balanced but will generally cause a low frequency vibration through the body or the steering column as described above but generally at all speeds...just more noticeable at high speeds..you cant drive through it...

I had a similar effect caused by a dodgy LSD in another car...it would vibrate at a specific speed just like wheels out of balance, I didnt do anything about it until the box failed, twice...the lsd is now off for repair...

dont know if its the same on the scooby box but it could be a prblem with the box or drive shafts...again depends where it is felt...box will be body and some steering feel, drive shafts will mostly be steering wheel...
Old 04 October 2012, 08:40 PM
Matt M
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Funnily enough, the front tyres have worn unevenly and even though I've had them balanced, there's a good chance this is causing the problem.
I've just bought a set of fully adjustable coilovers and I'm having them fitted on Saturday so while I'm there I'll get some nice new rubber up front and get the whole car setup and hopefully see the end of my problems.
With regards to the hiccup I mentioned, if I chuck the car hard to the right, say turning 90 degrees into a side road, I get a complete loss of power for a split second. It feels like fuel starvation which is why I wondered if it was a commen fault. I've not noticed how much fuel was in the tank when this has occurred.
Once again, thanks for the help so far.......
Old 04 October 2012, 08:59 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i wud say fuel starvation. Its happened 2 me a couple of times. When i attempted my first donut it happend wen i was low on fuel and i thought i broke it but doesnt happen when theres plenty juice in