Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found out how dealer screwed me, and screwed my Check Engine Light...

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2012, 11:56 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found out how dealer screwed me, and screwed my Check Engine Light...

Hi guys,

I'm feeling kinda chuffed, but also pretty hacked off tonight.

I'm chuffed as Andy Forrest made a great job of mapping my car, but I had been hacked off about my ongoing disabled check engine light saga.

To sum up, I bought the car in July from Forsyth Street Cars in Chapelhall, yes I know, shouldn't have done, but the car seemed straight and I really liked it. When I viewed the car there was a Check Engine Light showing, part of the sale was that they would sort whatever was causing the light.

Anyway, I picked up the car and the CEL was extinguished, told it was a sensor. Fair enough I thought. The CEL lit with ignition, then went out. All fine I thought.

A few weeks ago I went to Andy Forrest for a remap, right away he noticed that the car had a faulty front lambda sensor, but the CEL wasn't showing. We also pulled a MAF which should have thrown a CEL but it didn't. Andy advised me that someone had bypassed the CEL. He checked around the ECU, no sign of tampering.

Anyway, the car chucked it's fuel pump mid mapping, so we had to postpone the map. In the meantime I go the fuel pump replaced and asked my garage to check for CEL bypass dicking about with. They couldn't find anything obvious, nothing looked as if it had been messed with. I ordered up a WiFi OBDII reader and confirmed that the lambda sensor was still faulty.

My garage were going to have a longer look at car, let their auto electrician track it down, but tonight I decided to change the dashboard lights to LEDs and when I removed the dash pod, what did I see? Just peeping out from one of the bulb holders was a wire, when I removed the plastic back to the pod to expose the circuit board, it all became clear...

The two wires were held under the bayonet for one of the lights, which light? Yup, the charge light... The wires led up the circuit board and through to the clocks. Time to strip the pod further...

The two wires led up to the plastic surround for the CEL, soldered to a small bulb which was fed through a melted hole (solder iron I reckon) in the side of the plastic that surrounds the CEL bulb. The bulb was held in place with Blu-Tac and the original CEL bulb was masked out with Blu-Tac...

So, the original CEL was masked out, the new bulb was in effect mimicking the charge light so that when I turned on the ignition it lit, and went out when I started the car. Andy noticed that the CEL was brighter than it should have been, which was due to a brighter bulb being used.

So, the problem is now sorted, the bypass removed and I now have a permanent CEL illuminated, but I'll get the front lambda sensor replaced and the light will go out. I'm really angry that they screwed me like this but they have been palming me off. I'll phone the garage again tomorrow just to let them know that I know exactly what they did, I'll mention trading standards but sure they would want the garage to have the chance to put it right. I wouldn't trust this garage to empty the ash trays never mind fit a lambda sensor so I reckon I'll have to forget it. I'll have the lambda sensor done by people I trust..

I'm glad though that I tracked it down, found it and fixed it myself. Gave me quite a buzz.

So there you have it, NEVER EVER deal with Forsyth Street Cars in Chapelhall....
Old 27 September 2012, 12:05 AM
Wrx sti Ed
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ar$eh0les!!! Glad you've got it all sorted now!!!
Old 27 September 2012, 12:22 AM
AdeWRX
Scooby Regular

Dont forget about it fella, get yourself back there and show him the pictures of what you found, then either tear him a new one or have them pay for the repairs to your car including the fuel pump to be done at a garage of your choice or you will be phoning Trading Standards. Imagine if the CEL bypass they did had caused your engine to go pop instead of the Lambda and fuel pump, would you be forgetting it then? I know i wouldnt! They did it to you, and they will most probably continue to do it to other customers.
Weird thing is, how much did they pay an electrician to do that compared to buying a new Lambda for it?
Old 27 September 2012, 12:30 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

**** it report them to trading standards cos they will do it again, at least you will of done your bit, anybody could of been fooled the same.
Old 27 September 2012, 02:08 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice bit of detective work there pal.. Agree with bustaMOVEs on this one report them to trading standards asap. You have lost out on a fair bit of money because of this disgusting shoddy act of blatant fraudulent behavior..
This kind of level of service makes me sick..
Old 27 September 2012, 07:30 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love storey's like this..I only wish i could come with you to see the W*****S face when you tell him and show him the pic's..!!
Old 27 September 2012, 07:51 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice find mate , dont fit the LEDs till u get sorted incase it looks like u tampered with it. Where did u get the LEDs by the way ?
Old 27 September 2012, 07:53 AM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

+1 for Trading Standards

The case is blatent deceit regarding the CEL and them not carrying out the work to resolve prior to sale.
I think you would be on safe ground to ask that a 3rd party correct the error or if your happy, they supply a genuine spare part and do the work yourself.

Trading standards wont like this bodge at all.

Vik
Old 27 September 2012, 08:41 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I've got to wonder why they went to all this trouble - when all it was was a Lambda Sensor ........ what they did was ingenious - a cunning, liar thought that up.

Certainly, if they do this, they are capable of all kinds of tricks to squeeze money out of the unwary .......... and this is what the problem is, you see? You knew they were lying cheats, yet still did business with them.

That said, this is a fantastic little story for WatchDog or some such TV Program .... they are bang to rights - Trading Standards today!
Old 27 September 2012, 09:20 AM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

That's fraud plain and simple.
Definately get trading standards involved because you won't be the last person they do this or similar too. With new MOT regs bodges like this wll become more common, and the rogues need slapping down.
Old 27 September 2012, 09:44 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The garage you got the car from aren't at fault here though are they ?
Im sure you said they sent it to an auto electrician, all they will do is blame him/her, they have a invoice from the auto spark saying its been done etc,
they may feel peeved if they have been charged for a sensor that's not been fitted as original sensors aren't cheap and actually want to help.
Old 27 September 2012, 09:48 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry to p1ss on your chips but here is what will happen.

1) You will approach them and show them what they have done

2) They will deny it

3) You will have to go to a solicitor and/or get the necessary papers together to sue them for whatever value you have lost by their little fix.

4) They will (maybe via a solicitor) refute your claim.

5) Ultimately it can not be conclusively proved that they are responsible for what you found as you could have done it yourself (not saying you have but from a legal standpoint) and no court will find otherwise.

6) You will have wasted time and more money to get to a stalemate.

Case dismissed!

It's ****, but that is the way the UK is these days!
Old 27 September 2012, 10:37 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Sorry to p1ss on your chips but here is what will happen.

1) You will approach them and show them what they have done

2) They will deny it

3) You will have to go to a solicitor and/or get the necessary papers together to sue them for whatever value you have lost by their little fix.

4) They will (maybe via a solicitor) refute your claim.

5) Ultimately it can not be conclusively proved that they are responsible for what you found as you could have done it yourself (not saying you have but from a legal standpoint) and no court will find otherwise.

6) You will have wasted time and more money to get to a stalemate.

Case dismissed!

It's ****, but that is the way the UK is these days!
then I guess either
1) see if trading standards will take it on or
2) use the small claims process to have a bit of fun and see "British justice" in action. This process can be initiated online and is fairly straightforward. The hearing will be informal and (I think) decided on a balance of probability standard. I have always found the judges to be friendly and fair (to the little man).
Personally I always prefer to avoid using a legal professional if I am picking up the bill.
ps. Have you contacted the previous owner regarding the condition of the car when they sold it to the vendor?

Last edited by cster; 27 September 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 27 September 2012, 10:55 AM
banzai2009
Scooby Regular

To down there with if you can a few boys and state your case show them the photos if it were me I wouldn't of disconnected it I'd of took it straight down the way it is..

There should be a log on what the fault was and who and how it was fixed. There's your back up evidence they can't get rid of work thatl be fiddling so there will be a log of the problem surely
Old 27 September 2012, 11:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
then I guess either
1) see if trading standards will take it on or
2) use the small claims process to have a bit of fun and see "British justice" in action. This process can be initiated online and is fairly straightforward. The hearing will be informal and (I think) decided on a balance of probability standard. I have always found the judges to be friendly and fair (to the little man).
As effectively the OP would be accusing them of fraud they will more than likely ask for the case to be heard outside of the small claims court and then it starts to get silly.

I wish the OP the best of luck, but British Justice is a bit of a joke these days!
Old 27 September 2012, 11:48 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banzai2009
To down there with if you can a few boys
Don't think that'll get him anywhere really.
Old 27 September 2012, 11:51 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

-Print the pictures
-explain what you have found and that you are far from happy
-mention that you have been advised to speak to your solicitor
-ask them what they are going to do about it

They will do anything they can, the last thing they want is to be involved in a legal fight. Just threaten that you will take further action, they will sort it before you need to.
Old 27 September 2012, 12:09 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

As effectively the OP would be accusing them of fraud they will more than likely ask for the case to be heard outside of the small claims court and then it starts to get silly.

I wish the OP the best of luck, but British Justice is a bit of a joke these days!
He will be asking for his money back in a civil law setting
I can't really imagine the dealers would be too kean to have the matter bought before the criminal court, in which case they may be quite happy to settle up before the matter comes before a judge of any type.
Old 27 September 2012, 12:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
He will be asking for his money back in a civil law setting
I can't really imagine the dealers would be too kean to have the matter bought before the criminal court, in which case they may be quite happy to settle up before the matter comes before a judge of any type.
Nah they will just deny it and they will get away with it! The law sucks!
Old 27 September 2012, 12:51 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Nah they will just deny it and they will get away with it! The law sucks!
I must have had better luck when I have "my day in court" than you have.
Old 27 September 2012, 01:28 PM
banzai2009
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Don't think that'll get him anywhere really.

I don't mean to do anything just show the dealer you mean business and the problems no going away till its sorted . As most will know dealers try there best to palm off problems and hope they go away
Old 27 September 2012, 01:46 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
I've got to wonder why they went to all this trouble - when all it was was a Lambda Sensor ........ what they did was ingenious - a cunning, liar thought that up.
For once I actually agree with you Pete!!

I was typing a similar reply this morning on my phone but lost signal.

Surely it would have been easier and less hassle for them to replace the lambda sensor instead of going to these lengths ??
Old 27 September 2012, 03:54 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

UPDATE: I realise that the garage will try to wheedle out of this, but I spoke to them today. Told them what I had found and my engineer was preparing a report and had advised me to pass it straight to trading standards. Said I was very unhappy etc. etc. and made it clear that I wouldn't be mucked about. The garage are saying its the auto electrician, and will give them the benefit of the doubt on that. The salesman asked what I wanted him to do, and I said I wanted a front lambda sensor, supply and fit by MY garage. He says he'll get back to me after he speaks to his boss. We'll see what they come up with, although I've made it clear that I know cars and I know what will happen if I'm not happy. I'm a Press Photographer so I may phone all my motoring editor contacts...
Old 27 September 2012, 04:22 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Why would they send a car to an auto electrician to trouble shoot a CEL anyway. That would get my alarm bells going straight away.
Old 27 September 2012, 05:19 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenose172
Why would they send a car to an auto electrician to trouble shoot a CEL anyway. That would get my alarm bells going straight away.
Sales only garage that farms out all repairs...
Old 27 September 2012, 05:25 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

f1 fan is correct,
you will show them, they will deny it, then how are you going to prove you didnt do it???

case dismissed, undo the bodge and fit a new lambda sensor and never use these clowns again.
Old 27 September 2012, 05:30 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

drive past late at night, chuck a couple of breeze blocks into their parking lot and cause some damage to other cars they have to sell. That will cause them some financial pain, more so than even if they sorted out your lambda.

That is what I always wanted to do to a grage that ripped me off some years ago!
Old 27 September 2012, 06:00 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IainMilford
drive past late at night, chuck a couple of breeze blocks into their parking lot and cause some damage to other cars they have to sell. That will cause them some financial pain, more so than even if they sorted out your lambda.

That is what I always wanted to do to a garage that ripped me off some years ago!
A water pistol and brake fluid is better, pay some local kids a fiver so your not caught on any CCTV.
Old 27 September 2012, 06:16 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Stick a similar post everywhere Lenny. Name and shame these barbaric thiefs where ever you can.
Old 27 September 2012, 06:28 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If this garage is renowned for bad press, ever thought it never went to the auto elec and they have done that themselves?? Aint that hard to figure out really when you look at it, just a possibility seeing as their know for all sorts by all accounts

Glad you sorted it tho pal bet it felt quite an achievement

Quick Reply: Found out how dealer screwed me, and screwed my Check Engine Light...