Sponsored by:

rocker cover woes!

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2012, 06:14 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default rocker cover woes!

hi all, ive done my drivers side rocker cover gasket twice now and its still leaking. had as good a look as possible underneath but cant really tell where from,its ok when i drive slowly but as soon as i give the car some welly it starts smoking badly out of the bonnet gaps on drivers side as if im forcing the oil out as im putting my foot down.its burning on the exhaust obviously but i cant see from above or really properly from below although i have tried. was thinking i may just take to garage to get sorted as its doing my head in now.keep jacking up car and checking etc. does anyone now good mechanic in south west or south east london who would sort it once and for all?thanks if anyone has advice.
Old 03 September 2012, 06:23 PM
robhodgson216
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya mate, I've just had the same problem, what year car is it? I changed the rocker gasket and two spark plug gaskets but was still smoking quite badly, did you change the 6 rubber seals around the bolts too?? i didnt as i thaught the old ones would be ok but the one at the back at the bottom was shot and was leaking onto the up-pipe so i changed all 6 and all is ok now, hope this helps

Rob
Old 03 September 2012, 06:33 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

aalright rob, its 2001 bugeye,wrx. ej205 i think. no didnt change the rubber washers.so will do and see what happens, i cant believe that such a small job can be so hard to get right.i actually made the leak worse than when i started. did you change the half moons?
Old 03 September 2012, 06:41 PM
robhodgson216
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean, i thaught i'd fixed it, put sealant round the washers too but it still leaked worse than before i started the bloody job lol i didnt change the half moons but i took them out (get a flat head screwdriver and push at the top of the half moon and it should pop out) then take off any old sealant thats on them and put some fresh on, the washers are about £25 from subaru for the 6.

hope you get it sorted