ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Handbrake turns and LSD's

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2001, 12:06 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word of warning...

The UK and import WRX drums are quite small and I destroyed my handbrake mechanism at Wethersfield, years ago, by doing handbrake slides into the hairpin. The rear wheel seized solid and when I removed the wheel and hub, the ground just got covered with shrapnel.

The later (version 5 and later) Type R and RA's (and new WRX) have a much bigger hub and these can lock up more easily. These the same as what is used on a Group N car.

I would strongly recommend that no one does this, as it puts ridiculous loads on the hubs and diffs.
Old 18 April 2001, 12:09 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

.........I use the handbrake all the time on the roads it helps give a more acute turn in and better traction out of 90deg corners and hairpins........note I live in the middle of nowhere and this is on quiet lanes and leaving b roads.......NOT in town
Remember to dip the clutch or u will rip the centre out of the diff........I take no blame for damage done to your cars and or other road users.....
Old 18 April 2001, 12:13 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Mr Croney
Shame on you, you hooligan.....
Old 18 April 2001, 11:48 AM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Question

Every now and again I get this childish urge to do a handbrake turn, especially when there is crowd of young girls to impress. But being mechanically sympathetic I was wondering if this is likely to have a detremental effect on the viscous coupling between the front and rear wheels.
Anyone know if this is the case ?
I know the rally boys use the handbrake all the time, but then they probably need to change the diff on a regular basis.
Old 18 April 2001, 01:30 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Pete C,

I seem to remember seeing you handbrake it around that corner... those many years ago... IIRC, you were running slicks at the time, which can't have helped... Mind you, everyone on the airfield knew when you had got to the corner at the end/start of each lap.

Moray
Old 18 April 2001, 01:47 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Moray

I was on slicks. Huge amounts of braking down the hill with a jab on the handbrake was setting it up nicely... obviously it wasn't going to last for long

Was it noisy then ???
Old 18 April 2001, 01:55 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

You certainly got people's attention.

I'm a little curious to know what you did with your RA as far as handbrake mechanism goes? Standard cable operated or hydraulic system?
Old 18 April 2001, 03:23 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I'm using a 22B LSD rear diff with version 5 RA driveshafts and hubs. These hubs use the larger 2 pot rear disc set up and the bigger handbrake shoes.

The handbrake is still cable operated, but a quick tug will lock the rears on dry tarmac without any need to use the brake pedal.
Old 18 April 2001, 03:27 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Red face

But how would dipping the clutch save your diff ? You would still have the front wheels rotating whilst the rears were stationary.
I get a similar problem when I take my Range Rover for an MOT, they can use the brake test rollers as one set of wheels will be stationary.
Old 18 April 2001, 04:00 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Because there then is no strain on it-Hence your not locking your wheels. If the clutch is engaged you are not then letting the rear wheels drive, only free wheel..hence locking is ok...
But take Petes advice, just don't do it.

R
Old 18 April 2001, 07:46 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RonaldoH:
<B>Because there then is no strain on it-Hence your not locking your wheels. If the clutch is engaged you are not then letting the rear wheels drive, only free wheel..hence locking is ok...
[/quote]

Sorry.
Didn't understand that. (No doubt 'cos I'm stupid)
Could you explain further?

Rich
Old 18 April 2001, 10:16 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

"Like most rally drivers do" ?

I think you will find that most decent rally drivers do not !!!!! Clubman drivers do it all of the time but on some events, I have only used it once or twice at the very most.

The problem with using the handbrake on your one and only visit to a corner is that it is an imprecise method and often only serves to provide a dramatic looking turn for the spectators.

On gravel etc. Yes on tarmac save all but the most severe of hairpins, its slow and amatuer.......Looks good though...

I would also support Petes observations....If you do it in a standard Impreza, you will end up with a locked up rear brake and a bill..You have been warned!

[This message has been edited by Mike@PD (edited 18 April 2001).]