Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying a bug/blob eye WRX - help?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2012, 01:11 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a bug/blob eye WRX - help?

Hey. Looking to buy one and generally with cars over 60K (like fiestas etc) is a no no previously but wanted people opinions on what mileage is high/getting a bit risky for a scooby generally? Also any help on when the cambelt and clutch will go/be changed etc? Trying to work out what sort of mileage is acceptable as ive a max budget of 4K for the car. Im trying to find ones with FSH as have seemed to find from my research FSH is far more important than mileage on scoobys. Any helps appreciated guys
Old 19 July 2012, 01:31 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Welcome mate, post up links to cars you are looking at. The guys here will advise which is best....
Old 19 July 2012, 01:50 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the welcome craig! Heres a few ive found in order I like:

Bug1

Bug2

Bug3

Blob1

Bug4

Not sure on the Prodrive kit as i have to be insured with the admiral group then learnt theyre difficult with performance mods, then any details on how long a clutch generally lasts on a scooby be great as online lot people say 130K which would be great! Thinking about a classic but age puts me off a bit, and cant decide if i prefer the bug/blob changes every day. Mods wise im looking at doing exhaust, filter and remap and stick a nice big STI spoiler on the rear

Call me a weirdo but I prefer bugs to blobs too! Cheers

Last edited by TheKeano; 19 July 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 19 July 2012, 07:17 AM
robinmgb
Scooby Regular

I agree and prefer bugs, recently bought a 2002 myself, my advice would buy one with the mods already done and save yourself alot of money, if you search round on ebay and autotrader you'll find cars with decat exhausts, spoliers, remapped etc already done and you price wise if you buy right will be no higher than an unmodded car, you can easily get £1000 worth of kit for nothing or next to nothing! Good luck
Old 19 July 2012, 08:00 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Buying any used car is a lottery. You could have a mint well cared for car and low mileage and the clutch could start to slip a month after you buy it.

As you are worried about the clutch and the cambelt why not factor in getting these replaced when yuo buy the car if no reciepts can be proven that they have been done recently. Cost wise you are looking at around £350 supplied and fitted for a clutch and about the same again for cambelt.

A clutch in one of these can wear quickly if it is launched hard often. I bought our Bug wagon WRX with 92k miles on it but full service history for £2k. Obviously if you go for a Bug STi these tend to cost a few pennys more.
Old 19 July 2012, 08:34 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My blob ppp has 93,000 now and is just fine, i was in a bug wrx last week with 130,000 and it pulled like a train, and was launched full bore, went like the clappers

Scoobs are very reliable if treated properly and can cope with high miles,as for clutches, luck of the draw, all you can do is make sure it's ok when you buy, i'd be looking for ones that are owned by someone that knows them well and buy on condition.

In my 30yrs of car ownership i have found that the most important thing is regular oil changes for engine longevity, everything is subject to wear and tear, high miles just mean it's been used, and if you think about it, it also means it's a good un, because if it weren't then it would not have gone as far as it has and will have lots of history.

Low mileage is not always a good thing, cars like scoobs with low miles can have either done lots of short journeys or only spanked at the weekend, or even worse been track toys, none of which i would want to be taking a chance on, because all of them will have sat around with fuel in the oil, which will have all drained down to the sump over a week or two sat in the garage, and average joe not in the know wont be disconnecting the crank sensor to let the oil pressure build before running the car at warp speed, with oil that has lots of unburnt fuel in it, then if all it does is have a 50mile blast down some back roads, it's not enough to make that fuel evaporate, it takes around 2hrs at motorway speeds, and will cause more wear than a car thats been used normally.
Old 19 July 2012, 08:36 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys guys. Thanks robin trying to find one already done. Seen few I've really liked then seen they've upgraded turbos etc and cos I'm 21 insurance on that's a no no, so limited to a WRX with a few mods. Cheers David for the prices too
Old 19 July 2012, 08:39 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
My blob ppp has 93,000 now and is just fine, i was in a bug wrx last week with 130,000 and it pulled like a train, and was launched full bore, went like the clappers

Scoobs are very reliable if treated properly and can cope with high miles,as for clutches, luck of the draw, all you can do is make sure it's ok when you buy, i'd be looking for ones that are owned by someone that knows them well and buy on condition.

In my 30yrs of car ownership i have found that the most important thing is regular oil changes for engine longevity, everything is subject to wear and tear, high miles just mean it's been used, and if you think about it, it also means it's a good un, because if it weren't then it would not have gone as far as it has and will have lots of history.

Low mileage is not always a good thing, cars like scoobs with low miles can have either done lots of short journeys or only spanked at the weekend, or even worse been track toys, none of which i would want to be taking a chance on, because all of them will have sat around with fuel in the oil, which will have all drained down to the sump over a week or two sat in the garage, and average joe not in the know wont be disconnecting the crank sensor to let the oil pressure build before running the car at warp speed, with oil that has lots of unburnt fuel in it, then if all it does is have a 50mile blast down some back roads, it's not enough to make that fuel evaporate, it takes around 2hrs at motorway speeds, and will cause more wear than a car thats been used normally.
Cheers didn't think of that for the mileage. Ok ill have a look at higher mileage ones that have FSH etc and not be so mistrusting of them haha!
Old 19 July 2012, 08:49 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

At 21 your insurance will be quite high without mods I would have thought. Also I'm sure your aware there are UK cars and JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Imports. The UK cars will be significantly lower to insure but they only run about 215bhp whereas the JDM's are around 240+ Some Insurance companies will also want you to have a tracker fitted, bear this in mind because if it doesn't have one its not just a case of having one installed its the yearly subscription costs of it as well.

What previous cars have you owned? A UK WRX is more than quick enough.
Old 19 July 2012, 08:54 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

With filter and exhaust only its an extra £70, so a bugeye WRX is £1100 for me declared (which im happy to pay as its £600 for my current car). And yes cos of insurance im limited to a UK WRX, but as you said thats more than fast enough for me, especially as ill be upgrading from a 1.25 FIESTA
Old 19 July 2012, 08:56 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Stick with an upgraded panel filter and just change the back box. This way you wont need to mess around with a remap.
Old 19 July 2012, 08:59 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Yeah, or looking for one thats already had it done. Whats the deal with insurance and a remap as most companies dont have a remap box to tick, and tbh nearly all my mates whove had remaps on their cars never declared them but id not want to risk that
Old 19 July 2012, 09:08 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

For high milers, would this be seen as actually a safe bet (in theory anyway) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s/40?logcode=p
Old 19 July 2012, 09:17 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Cambelt is usually changed every 40k ish and when my clutch went at 70k I was told I`d done well. Bugeyes are fugly too
Old 19 July 2012, 09:19 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Cambelt is usually changed every 40k ish and when my clutch went at 70k I was told I`d done well. Bugeyes are fugly too
Haha!! Cheers Steve
Old 19 July 2012, 09:23 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheKeano
Haha!! Cheers Steve
You know you want a Blob really
Old 19 July 2012, 09:27 AM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
You know you want a Blob really
:P nahhh depends on the colour for me and blobs more expensive to insure
Old 19 July 2012, 09:43 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

What about this on here: https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...pic-heavy.html
Old 19 July 2012, 10:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKeano
For high milers, would this be seen as actually a safe bet (in theory anyway) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s/40?logcode=p
Milage is fine at 114k for the age and it's the best colour, but the price is a bit high, i paid 4k for mine with ppp and ap racing front brakes almost a year ago, so i'd be looking to get a reduction on the price and some warranty and a full service.
Old 19 July 2012, 12:54 PM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

That is a nice on here! Yeah its got full subaru history and has only 3 months warranty so id demand more! On the hunt now for one with the few mods im looking for so let you guys know how my search goes and soon hopefully be a new scooby owner
Old 19 July 2012, 02:35 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Watch out for rust, rust and rust again, especially on Bugs. Have a look here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...l#post10713494

Shiny doesn't always mean dandy!
Old 19 July 2012, 03:51 PM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Cheers! Hmmm ill check then when I look at them then. Found few others but they all say no test drives i will drive - can see the reason but not sure id feel comfortable without one of my dads mate whose a mechanic trying it out, or is that normal for scoobys? Hes about 55 so maybe theyll let him cos he doesnt look like a joyrider haha!
Old 19 July 2012, 04:21 PM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Peoples opinions on this one? http://www.pinewoodautos.co.uk/used-...01213460559132

Got FSH and cambelt was changed at 50k so need to be changed again, had 1 owner since Subaru owned it. Viewed it today and the scratches on the bumpers have gone too

Hes the MOT history:

Full Test History, starting with first recorded vehicle and test results

Registration mark:
X40BDJ

Make/Model:
SUBARU / IMPREZA

Colour:
SILVER

VIN/Chassis No:
JF1GDAKD35G052793

Approximate date of first use:
24/03/2006

Type of fuel:
Petrol

Date of test:
06/03/2009

Certificate issued (Pass)

Odometer reading:
45,681 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
FROSTS JAGUAR

Test station number:

Test station telephone number:

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
24/03/2010

Advisory Notice issued

Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

Date of test:
05/05/2010

Certificate issue refused (Fail)

Odometer reading:
66,484 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
KEMPTOWN MOT CENTRE LIMITED

Test station number:

Test class:
IV

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.4)

Offside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Date of test:
05/05/2010

Odometer reading:
66,484 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

Test station number:

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
04/05/2011

No Advisory Notice issued

Date of test:
04/05/2011

Odometer reading:
83,680 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:

Test station number:

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
04/05/2012

No Advisory Notice issued

Change of details

Registration mark:
X40BDJ recorded at time of test, changed to BJ06CEU on 10/04/2012 by DVLA.

Date of test:
17/05/2012

Certificate issue refused (Fail)

Odometer reading:
97,118 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
KSM AUTO CLINIC

Test station number:
4315A4

01737 768718

Test class:
IV

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

Offside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)

Exhaust catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard (7.1.3)

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.4)

Advisory Notice issued

Small screen damage

Rear tyres worn on very inner edge

Both front tyres worn on very inner edge

Date of test:
15/06/2012

Odometer reading:
97,192 Miles

Test number:

Test station name:
NOW GARAGES

Test station number:

020 8684 5004

Test class:
IV

Test expiry date:
14/06/2013

Advisory Notice issued

Both front tyres worn on edges
Old 19 July 2012, 04:26 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Sounds like its had a decat judging by some of the fail reasons on MOT
Old 19 July 2012, 04:39 PM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Yeah what I thought but nothing serious on that list. Insurance is £200 more for this than a WRX bug tho
Old 20 July 2012, 12:09 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

That last one looks ok and a good price. The mileage would personnaly put me off but as long as the paperwork backs up then its worth taking a punt on OP. I did put mine up for sale a couple of months ago but didn't have much serious interest in it, so decided to keep it and modify for a while. Have a look at my for sale ad if you are still looking, I would sell for the right price. I've made a few more mods since I did the ad but it may be a bit too modified for your insurance company

Jamie
Old 20 July 2012, 12:32 PM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Ive got it down to 2 Imprezas guys and im stuck which I prefer... V reg Impreza Classic thats done 40K putting out about 300bhp in blue (my preferred colour), or a 06 Blob thats done 97K (silver) thats standard but will need a 100K service so cambelt etc.

Both have FSH, 1 owner and both in great condition. The V reg is £3500 and the 06 is £3800.

I cant decide in theory which will be more reliable. The older one with lower mileage, or newer one with high milage. I know the V reg has been well cared for (but driven hard like most scoobys) as know the person selling it too. At 21 owning a scooby is pretty good so id be happy with both, and prefer them in different ways. I prefer the blob a bit more, but if in the long run the classic will be a more reliable, cheaper (if that word can even be associated with scoobys haha!) id definitely choose the classic. Im also guessing parts for the classic will be a lot cheaper like with any older version of a car and insurance for the modded classic is the same price as the standard blob. Any help at all is appreciated.

Last edited by TheKeano; 20 July 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:48 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

I would say the classic is more of a raw driving experience and the blob will be more comfortable. What map and mods does the classic have on it?
Old 20 July 2012, 12:56 PM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

Its got a decat exhaust, K&N cone and tek2.5. Comfort isnt an issue my fiesta is on 17s, low profile tyres and dropped 45mm on standard shocks too so the ride is shocking!! The decat isnt an issue for me btw

Last edited by TheKeano; 20 July 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:09 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

What map has the classic had done?

Quick Reply: Buying a bug/blob eye WRX - help?