Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi 2.5 Oil Consumption

Old 15 July 2012, 03:37 PM
  #1  
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Aldershot
Posts: 1,604
Default STi 2.5 Oil Consumption

Hi,

Since having my WRX STi Spec D 07/07, I have had to put approx half a litre of oil in it to top it up (2 lots of approx 250ml)

I've done around 1,650 miles in it so far, some spirited driving, but not a huge amount really.

Is this about right would you say? I guess with the engine temperatures involved, it's going to burn some oil, but how much is normal?

It's done 23,500 miles now, but hopefully it's not turning into an oil burner already?!! I don't see any smoke in the rear view mirror or anywhere else, no smoke on cold / hot starts either.

The oil in the engine already is clean, and the previous owner had is serviced in March this year with 21,012 miles on the clock, (Subaru dealer, on the invoice says fully sythetic 5w 30 oil)

I'm using Helix Ultra AG 5w 30, as sold to me by a Subaru dealer.

Many thanks.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 15 July 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Hawkeye D is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 03:53 PM
  #2  
chopperman
Scooby Regular
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,241
Default

That's 1 litre per 3300 miles which is well within the excepted limits.
chopperman is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 03:56 PM
  #3  
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Aldershot
Posts: 1,604
Default

Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
That's 1 litre per 3300 miles which is well within the excepted limits.

Ok, cool. So I needn't worry then?
Hawkeye D is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 03:59 PM
  #4  
chopperman
Scooby Regular
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,241
Default

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D View Post
Ok, cool. So I needn't worry then?
No.
What oil are you using?
chopperman is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 04:03 PM
  #5  
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Aldershot
Posts: 1,604
Default

Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
No.
What oil are you using?
Helix Ultra AG 5w 30 fully synthetic oil.

Subaru sold it to me when I popped in there last week as a top up pack.
Hawkeye D is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 04:13 PM
  #6  
fez the plodder
Scooby Regular
 
fez the plodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LEICSTER
Posts: 162
Default OIL CONSUMPTION

HI
ive got an sti 2.5 and i top it up monthly,it works out just over 1 litre for every 10.000 miles and its had plenty of B rad blasts and motorway runs its done 60k
Im no expert but ive been told thats normal for a 2.5?
fez the plodder is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 04:22 PM
  #7  
chopperman
Scooby Regular
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,241
Default

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D View Post
Helix Ultra AG 5w 30 fully synthetic oil.

Subaru sold it to me when I popped in there last week as a top up pack.
Most manufactures say 1 litre per 1000 miles is the limit although i think that's very excessive.

5w 30 seems a bit light to me. I always used a 5w 40 and used a little oil, probably about the same as you.
I recently have had my engine re-built forged by a respected engine builder and he told me to use at least a 10w 50. He went on to say " no 5w in a 2.5 under any circumstances". Not sure why but i would be interested to know if anyone here can give an informed answer.
chopperman is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 04:26 PM
  #8  
fez the plodder
Scooby Regular
 
fez the plodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LEICSTER
Posts: 162
Default OIL CONSUMPTION

i use millers 10-60 in the 2.5 and use to use 10-50 in the ej20 motor....???
fez the plodder is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 05:05 PM
  #9  
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
DT-SPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rugby
Posts: 798
Default

Never had to top mine up more than 100ml between oil changes every 3k

I always use a 10w50 oil and would never use a 5w30 oil in any engine I want to keep in good condition. I have worked in the engine development, testing and calibration industry far too long to ever use a 5w30 through choice.

5w30 is only specified to give good fuel economy, almost all manufacturers are specifying this oil and some going to 5w20 and thinner in the aim of gaining a reduction in CO2.

Any engine used hard should run a higher grade as it says in the manual ( on the right hand side).

DT-SPD is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 05:40 PM
  #10  
dj219957
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Staffs
Posts: 3,708
Default

what he said^^
dj219957 is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 05:48 PM
  #11  
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Wales Scoobys Supporter
Posts: 1,922
Default

They use 5 30 at main dealer to much to thin ,i always take my own oil when serviced millers
STI Glenn is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 06:42 PM
  #12  
chopperman
Scooby Regular
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,241
Default

I would be interested to compare oil usage with different viscosity oils.
chopperman is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 06:54 PM
  #13  
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Aldershot
Posts: 1,604
Default

Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
I would be interested to compare oil usage with different viscosity oils.

+1

I'm thinking maybe a 10w 50 change will be for the better.

They do a Fuchs Titan Race Pro S oil on Opie, so may give that a go.

Anyone tried / tested that oil? It's an ester based fully synthetic

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68898-fu...ngine-oil.aspx
Hawkeye D is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 07:00 PM
  #14  
fubar phil
Scooby Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: guilden morden
Posts: 14
Default

Previous to my 08 sti, I had a golf r32 which didn't use a drop. This made me a bit paranoid when I noticed that my Scooby was using oil, especially when you hear the horror stories of ringland failure. I took it into the dealers and apparsntly the word from Subaru is that 1l per 1300 miles is fine.
fubar phil is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 07:05 PM
  #15  
chopperman
Scooby Regular
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,241
Default

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D View Post
+1

I'm thinking maybe a 10w 50 change will be for the better.

They do a Fuchs Titan Race Pro S oil on Opie, so may give that a go.

Anyone tried / tested that oil? It's an ester based fully synthetic

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68898-fu...ngine-oil.aspx
Thats the oil i have always used, Fuch Titan race pro. It's an excellent oil and as i said in another thread, i have just had a forged re-build on my engine and was told by the builder my internals were in excellent condition.
chopperman is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 07:24 PM
  #16  
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Wales
Posts: 1,290
Default

Owning MY07 RB320 from new, i've always changed the oil & filter every 6 months.
I use Fuchs Titan Race Pro S, 5w 40 & never had to top up between service intervals!
I also use K&N oil filters..

However, i've got 5 litres of Millers CFS 5w 40 NT, ready for the 50k service!
IggyRB320 is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 07:50 PM
  #17  
chopperman
Scooby Regular
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,241
Default

Originally Posted by IggyRB320 View Post
Owning MY07 RB320 from new, i've always changed the oil & filter every 6 months.
I use Fuchs Titan Race Pro S, 5w 40 & never had to top up between service intervals!
I also use K&N oil filters..

However, i've got 5 litres of Millers CFS 5w 40 NT, ready for the 50k service!
I bought some Millers CFS because Opie had a deal going but then i was told by Mr Finch to used 10w 50 and not the 5w oil for some reason. The misses Honda jazz got the millers in the end. Complete over kill in that car but it saved buying more oil for that
chopperman is offline  
Old 15 July 2012, 08:01 PM
  #18  
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
DT-SPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rugby
Posts: 798
Default

Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
Thats the oil i have always used, Fuch Titan race pro. It's an excellent oil and as i said in another thread, i have just had a forged re-build on my engine and was told by the builder my internals were in excellent condition.
+1 from me too, thats the oil I use.
DT-SPD is offline  
Old 16 July 2012, 01:48 PM
  #19  
matt-c
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,033
Default

Scary oil consumption though.

IMHO the car should be ordinarily able to go between service intervals without a top up. Bad of Subaru to claim otherwise, even though it's best practise to keep an eye on the level.

2.5 bores obviously move around all over the place.

2L here, nearly 40k miles from new, never used a single drop as far as i can tell from the dipstick. More torque would be nice though - hmmm.
matt-c is offline  
Old 16 July 2012, 01:51 PM
  #20  
matt-c
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,033
Default

The Fuch's stuff is apparently the same as Silkolene Pro S.
matt-c is offline  
Old 16 July 2012, 01:55 PM
  #21  
chopperman
Scooby Regular
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,241
Default

Originally Posted by matt-c View Post
The Fuch's stuff is apparently the same as Silkolene Pro S.
Silkolene was re-branded as Fuch. And my 2.5 doesn't use any oil. Im told it depend on how there run in. Running in with no boost can cause them to become oil burners. Im running mine in now with a running in map that gives me 0.5 bar to bed the rings in.
chopperman is offline  
Old 16 July 2012, 02:26 PM
  #22  
matt-c
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,033
Default

Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
Silkolene was re-branded as Fuch. And my 2.5 doesn't use any oil. Im told it depend on how there run in. Running in with no boost can cause them to become oil burners. Im running mine in now with a running in map that gives me 0.5 bar to bed the rings in.

Interesting, glad you don't have an oil burner.
matt-c is offline  
Old 16 July 2012, 06:39 PM
  #23  
bioforger
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
bioforger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pig Hill, Wiltsh1te
Posts: 16,984
Default

Mine doesn't use a drop, it is a 2ltr though
bioforger is offline  
Old 29 February 2016, 01:07 AM
  #24  
Ivesy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London
Posts: 51
Default

Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
Silkolene was re-branded as Fuch. And my 2.5 doesn't use any oil. Im told it depend on how there run in. Running in with no boost can cause them to become oil burners. Im running mine in now with a running in map that gives me 0.5 bar to bed the rings in.
I'm using Millers and I'm going through loads in my 2.5. There's a class action law suit going on in America cos loads have suffered engine problems after drivers haven't realised their engine is out of oil... Apparently very common to burn alot, can lead to excessive engine wear high emissions and bad economy. It is fun tho aye. Keep checking it.
Ivesy is offline  
Old 10 April 2016, 07:10 PM
  #25  
Ivesy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London
Posts: 51
Default

Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
Most manufactures say 1 litre per 1000 miles is the limit although i think that's very excessive.

5w 30 seems a bit light to me. I always used a 5w 40 and used a little oil, probably about the same as you.
I recently have had my engine re-built forged by a respected engine builder and he told me to use at least a 10w 50. He went on to say " no 5w in a 2.5 under any circumstances". Not sure why but i would be interested to know if anyone here can give an informed answer.
I took mine to a specialist who builds and drag races classic imprezas with modded 2.5 engines, and he too advised me to only use Millers 10w 60. Bloody expensive and I burn a hell of a lot.
Ivesy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
[email protected] Developments
Car Parts For Sale
1
18 November 2015 07:49 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STi 2.5 Oil Consumption


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.