ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bollox or truth? WRX fuel econo

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2012, 10:35 AM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bollox or truth? WRX fuel econo

A salesman at one of the bike stuff stores I use has a 2007 Hawkeye WRX Estate.

He claims he's got the fuel economy down to 8-8,5 liters/100km when driving carefully and nicely.

How can that be when GX's aka non-turbos have higher fuel economy? How much have Impreza 2.0 engines changed since Classics, even in terms of efficiency and economy as main changes always advertised are PS increases.

What fuel econo can one expect from BLOBeye WRX?

So, in the end, is he lying (I'm having real hard time believing it) or have Subaru engines really become that efficient?
Old 30 June 2012, 11:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your first job is to change that into miles per gallon.

Then you'll get replies from folk on here.

Done it for you: it's between 33-35mpg.

Unless he drives like Miss Daisy, I'd say he's exaggerating.

Last edited by alcazar; 30 June 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 30 June 2012, 11:33 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I reckon it's possible but by christ he'd have to be driving like a coffin dodger.
Old 30 June 2012, 11:46 AM
johnpye
Scooby Regular

My 350bhp p1 is averaging just short of 30mpg in mixed driving so I recon he could get it!
Old 30 June 2012, 11:58 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by johnpye
My 350bhp p1 is averaging just short of 30mpg in mixed driving so I recon he could get it!
When you say "mixed driving" you do mean slow driving and very slow driving don't you.
No way could a 350 bhp classic get near 30mpg with normal driving.
Old 30 June 2012, 12:03 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Bog std Blob eye WRX i had 35 mpg out of it on a long motorway run so it is possible. It averaged about 28mpg usually though living in the north of scotland where we have no motorways and loads of tractors/old giffers who drive everywhere at 40 doesn't help.
Old 30 June 2012, 12:49 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm averaging around 20mpg at the moment if not worse when a little spirited driving is called for!

The trouble I have is I don't often get out in the car being a second car, so the enjoyment of sitting in it comes at a price (heavy foot syndrome) as my family Scenic doesn't have 400 horses and handling to suit lol.

That reminds me, I need to order some meth

I'm sure 30 mpg is achievable if I potter or sit on a motorway at 60, but if I was to do that I may as well drive the Renault Scenic!

Rob
Old 30 June 2012, 02:24 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I get 28-33mpg in my 2000 turbo uk classic, my00 and I'm 22, mainly a and b roads, I wouldn't stay I push the car but I don't drive like a oldman
Old 30 June 2012, 02:54 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running WRX 2005 Blob PPP. On a full tank I get around 270 miles with daily driving. A little better when used on motorway
Old 30 June 2012, 02:56 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

bollox on everday driving
Old 30 June 2012, 03:50 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably true, but you will need ***** sized tiny ***** to drive like an old fart to squeeze 30+ out of any impreza. What's the point.
Old 30 June 2012, 04:16 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I average around 40mpg on full boost everywhere.....

Sorry, I thought I was one of the bullsh1t mpg brigade on here

Some people are such liars or they only drive everywhere downhill!
Old 30 June 2012, 04:40 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 250 miles out of a tank last week to/from the NBO and couldnt believe it as its only a 50L tank, Bit of motorway and A roads Just worked it out and it equates to 22.7Mpg

Thats is the best i have ever had, Some people need to drive there cars

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 30 June 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 30 June 2012, 04:43 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

MPG on Impreza's is pretty pointless to be honest as if you worry about it using so much fuel it sort of spoils the driving experience.

The only way you can get good MPG is if your stuck behind the coppers.
Old 30 June 2012, 04:51 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I get 36mpg on the motorway
Old 30 June 2012, 04:59 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Yeah, sorry about forgetting to convert to mpg, am too used to L/100km.

Just as I thought. Unless he's commuting (speed limits for out of town driving are 62mph over here - the optimum speed for travel and fuel econo) and not living in the city he works in (city driving being the worst for fuel econo), there's no way he'd get that kind of mileage. It's mpg my fam's old 1.6 Impreza had and this one has three times the HP.

On a different note, how much did EJ20 non-turbo engines change from the time they were in Classics till they were used in Blob-eyes? Are they the exact same engines or were they refined at some point?

Unfortunately over here the fuel is so expensive because of very low income (500 EUR average montly pay and 1.5 EUR per liter of 95 octane) that very few can afford such a car as second car (the insurance comes up to over two montly paychecks - paychecks on which you barely survive) where it's fuel econo doesn't matter and if it's a daily driver, because of the fuel costs it's economy does matter. Will probably be looking for a WRX or a GX this winter, would love the former, but the latter wouldn't slaughter me with it's expenses.
Old 30 June 2012, 06:18 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

33-35mpg? Maybe if you started on Everest and coasted downhill all the way to Bangladesh
Old 30 June 2012, 06:32 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by panta_rei
Yeah, sorry about forgetting to convert to mpg, am too used to L/100km.

Just as I thought. Unless he's commuting (speed limits for out of town driving are 62mph over here - the optimum speed for travel and fuel econo) and not living in the city he works in (city driving being the worst for fuel econo), there's no way he'd get that kind of mileage. It's mpg my fam's old 1.6 Impreza had and this one has three times the HP.

On a different note, how much did EJ20 non-turbo engines change from the time they were in Classics till they were used in Blob-eyes? Are they the exact same engines or were they refined at some point?

Unfortunately over here the fuel is so expensive because of very low income (500 EUR average montly pay and 1.5 EUR per liter of 95 octane) that very few can afford such a car as second car (the insurance comes up to over two montly paychecks - paychecks on which you barely survive) where it's fuel econo doesn't matter and if it's a daily driver, because of the fuel costs it's economy does matter. Will probably be looking for a WRX or a GX this winter, would love the former, but the latter wouldn't slaughter me with it's expenses.
Sounds like Britain! Where did you say you were from?

€1.50 is around £1.20, so your fuel is actually cheaper than the UK!

Don't bother with the GX, in my opinion you won't be satisfied.

Maybe consider an STI and use it for track only?

Rob
Old 30 June 2012, 07:41 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

in stop start school run and back and fourth to work stuff without booting it ive managed 27 - 28mpg on my 320bhp version 5sti
Old 30 June 2012, 11:38 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Sounds like Britain! Where did you say you were from?

€1.50 is around £1.20, so your fuel is actually cheaper than the UK!

Don't bother with the GX, in my opinion you won't be satisfied.

Maybe consider an STI and use it for track only?

Rob
Hi

Yes, the fule IS cheaper here than in the UK, but remember that we also get paid a LOT less than you guys do. Basic yearly insurance for a WRX with 230HP would cost around 1200 EUR and that's completely basic, just enough to get the car on the road. Basic insurance for a 125HP GX would be 740 EUR.

While I'd love an STi it would be too much of an expense (not only as a daily driver, but also as a second/track vehicle) and we also don't have any tracks. My predicted budget during Winter will be around 1600 quid, so unfortunately an STi is not a viable choice for even that reason only and even a WRX will be an extremely tight squeeze if even possible.

A GX can't be worse than a Chrysler Neon Gen II, can it?

How much does basic, unmodded, Blobeye WRX produce anyway? 230HP?
Old 30 June 2012, 11:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Come on lads ...... don't we remember the Re-Map Claims?

500 BHP and 50 mpg ..... if hobbyist mappers can achieve that then I'm sure Subaru is capable of delivering.

I could get 35 mpg from my Classic ..... I drove it with sympathy - not like I stole it!
Old 01 July 2012, 04:38 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can get 33 from my Blob wrx ppp but you have to keep it below 2.5k rpm and you need a boost gauge, which is ok around town and even on some country roads as the cameras round here are terrible, my mate gets 36mpg out if his 360 bhp 2.5 so it is possible.

And mine does get driven properly, just not around town or cameras.
Old 01 July 2012, 08:23 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive managed 275-325 miles on the motorway without using boost on my00 classic. Intown maybe approx 250. If i "use" it properly then i can empty a tank in less then 200 miles.
Old 01 July 2012, 09:11 AM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do any of you understand why the Impreza is so poor? Pumping losses.

To cruize at 50mph you'd need to put about 15bhp to the road. To do that in a C1/Aego, etc would need in 5th gear about three quarters throttle. Therefore engine working well and little losses.

My STi is pushing four bloody great pistons about and one is having to do the work of pulling 625cc of air passed a filter, hosing, turbo compressor and through an intercooler to get there. Even then the throttle is barely cracked so it's got to drag it passed that too. Then what's made has to get through the gearbox, (driving the pump in there too) and passed two big diffs to get to the road.

To get the 15hp out (plus anouther for the aero bits sticking out) I need to make 40-45bhp first.

Hence the **** poor off-throttle consumption.

Go a bit faster keep it in a high gear and those with boost gauges try to keep close to zero boost should in theory give the best compromise.

I can get 35mpg that way on UK major roads/motorways on the rare occasion I get over.

On the IOM? forget it. 22-23mpg max.

Even my VFR800 only gives 30mpg here, way under specs. Stop start stop start...then there's the hills. Oh, and the temptation on that big one too.....
Old 01 July 2012, 11:46 AM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Come on lads ...... don't we remember the Re-Map Claims?

500 BHP and 50 mpg ..... if hobbyist mappers can achieve that then I'm sure Subaru is capable of delivering.
About 7-9 years ago I was at a used car market... something like a flea market, but it's about used cars. Obviously you guys have this too, I just can't remember the English word for it, sorry.

Anyway, there was this guy selling a Opel (Vauxhall) Frontera who had quite a captive audience of three (parents and a younger adult 20-30 yoa son).

The guy was claiming his petrol Frontera, while doing 110 mph on the freeway and towing a trailer with a Zodiac on it, was consuming only 35 mpg! And those poor, naive idiots (IIRC they were hillbillies) were actually buying it, eating off his hand.

I swear, I've rarely seen someone so gifted to be a seller!

5 minutes later they were getting into the Frontera to take it for a test drive. They didn't come back, leading me to believe he actually conned those idiots to buy it.

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
you need a boost gauge
Boost gauge... hm, something I'll need to research, am still learning about turbos and mods.

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Even my VFR800 only gives 30mpg here, way under specs. Stop start stop start...then there's the hills. Oh, and the temptation on that big one too.....
I manage to keep my GSX-R 750 at 56 UK mpg by riding like a pensioner with an occasional spirited boost up to the speed limit and that's mostly city riding. With the roads here and some of the most moronic and blind drivers, riding much more aggressive is not a good proposition.

I don't know what they put in the fuel of a OMV gas station once, but my fuel econo dropped for a single tank down to 68 mpg. Could never repeat that, even though I refilled at that same station one week later. Guess they forgot to put the water into that fuel like they have a habit...
Old 01 July 2012, 01:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Ah so now i know where you are, with the omv, because it seems like you don't want us to know which country you are in.
Old 01 July 2012, 02:00 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

Ah so now i know where you are, with the omv, because it seems like you don't want us to know which country you are in.
Good show! Now you just need to narrow it down.
Old 01 July 2012, 02:10 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by panta_rei
Good show! Now you just need to narrow it down.
I'm quick and i think you are slo or you will be if you don't buy a turbo wrx.

boost gauge tells you when the turbo is boosting as in spinning up and giving lots of power but drinking like nesto drugi pian.
Old 01 July 2012, 02:13 PM
panta_rei
Scooby Regular

I'm quick and i think you are slo or you will be if you don't buy a turbo wrx.

boost gauge tells you when the turbo is boosting as in spinning up and giving lots of power but drinking like nesto drugi pian.
Thanks!

How much does it cost to buy and install it?
Old 01 July 2012, 03:37 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

I recently averaged 815 mptanker when I was driving at full chat over channel with my super deep threaded anti aqua plane channel clearing wheels. I then managed announce before flying back from frogville

Quick Reply: Bollox or truth? WRX fuel econo