need help of anyone who knows what there on about

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2012, 07:58 PM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help of anyone who knows what there on about

Got a issue

Looking at a 95 impreza its got a issue needs a actuator apprantley its got a td0d turbo but it says its just the acuator which needs changing,some one explain what this is pleaseeeeeee

Also how much will it cost

Cheers
Old 29 June 2012, 08:55 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

i dont get the question mate what is it you need to know?..is actuator broke?..turbo size?
Old 29 June 2012, 09:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

AN issue, it's got AN issue

What turbo is on it? There is no such turbo as a td0d.

WHAT says it's the actuator wants changing?
Old 29 June 2012, 09:26 PM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

Sorry its a td05
The turbo is holding its pressure seems fine but doesn't release,its like its boosting and it hits a limiter

Sorry for the lack of knowledge on these engines
Old 30 June 2012, 01:28 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Nowt changes, nice

It could be any thing from an fivers worth of vac hose upwards. With out seeing it no one can tell you.

Last edited by Glowplug; 30 June 2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 30 June 2012, 02:37 AM
Ballyscoob
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mr Effinknowitall again no doubt, if unable to give helpful advice to the newer members or those who are not so clued up with the ins and outs of subarus, dont post or leave unvaluable info as its getting boring now, every other thread,Oh and theres no medals given out for the highest amount of posting!!
Old 30 June 2012, 06:10 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I presume by your post that your looking to buy this car?

A 95 wrx running a tdo5 on standard internals? with issues what other mods does it have?

Td05's can be had quite cheaply, i wouldn't mess around with a dodgy turbo, just swap it.

But tbh i would walk away, there are lots more out there with no issues.

Trending Topics

Old 30 June 2012, 08:49 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ballyscoob
Mr Effinknowitall again no doubt, if unable to give helpful advice to the newer members or those who are not so clued up with the ins and outs of subarus, dont post or leave unvaluable info as its getting boring now, every other thread,Oh and theres no medals given out for the highest amount of posting!!
+1
Old 30 June 2012, 09:05 AM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info

And the ones who just come on here to take **** just because we don't know subaru's inside out doesn't mean I can't ask the questions,**** off
Old 30 June 2012, 09:23 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sadly you offer no useful advice yourself and use this as an excuse to have a pop at a long understanding who has offered valued advice over the years....

now we know what turbo it is - (as Alcazar asked) the problem can be looked at in greater detail.

as also pointed out it could be anything from a vacuum hose to the turbo itself. If the car needs an actuator as the seller states then get the seller to get one fitted and solve the problem if it is that simple.

Question - Does the turbo smoke on start up and/or on boost and if so what colour blue or black???

Last edited by The Zohan; 30 June 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 30 June 2012, 09:26 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Zohan
Sadly you offer no useful advice yourself and use this as an excuse to have a pop at a long understanding who has offered valued advice over the years....

now we know what turbo it is - (as Alcazar asked) the problem can be looked at in greater detail.

as also pointed out it could be anything from a vacuum hose to the turbo itself.

Does the turbo smoke on start up and/or on boost and if so what colour blue or black???
+1 newbs
Old 30 June 2012, 11:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sigh........here we go again.
Because the OP didn't post very well and didn't give the info required, it's somehow MY fault because I asked for more info, and I'm a knowitall because I've a few posts on here.

Fair enough.

I withdraw from this and any other thread asking for help by those three members above, JAPOLLY, Ballyscoob and Classic Subaru Si.

Hope you get it sorted, mate.
Old 30 June 2012, 12:03 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

while I agree with Alcazar about needing more information, I have to say the OP does himself no favours with his post. I counted nine mistakes in his original post. Bad grammar and spelling aside the post is still fairly ambiguous. I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are wanting advice from the more "senior" members on here then at least meet them halfway. a good explanation of the problem, listing your make of car and any modifications that you may have goes a long way to helping others diagnose what could be potentially any number of faults.
Old 30 June 2012, 12:11 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Reading between the lines here..

Sounds like it's creeping boost, ie when you keep it floored it spikes up to max and then as the revs rise the boost is climbing when it shouldn't? Is it fuel cutting? Harsh cut from too much boost.

If this is the case, has the car got a free flowing exhaust? Cat removed from the downpipe?
Old 30 June 2012, 12:40 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JAPOLLY
Sorry its a td05
The turbo is holding its pressure seems fine but doesn't release,its like its boosting and it hits a limiter

Sorry for the lack of knowledge on these engines
Ok from this it sounds like you are hitting overboost. The seller says it is the actuator.

Seems doubtful that if the car is achieving full boost that the actuator is faulty. Normally if they are faulty you dont achieve full boost.

It could be that there is boost creep because the boost control system cannot effectively control this turbo due to various factors.

I would suggest that you ask the sller to fix the problem before buying, as it doesnt sound like just the actuator. It could be that the turbo cannot be effctively controlled by the existing boost control system.
Old 30 June 2012, 12:55 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said it does sound like overboost resulting in fuel cut. The underlying problem can be very difficult to locate (I know from experience). It could be a vacuum hose, leaking turbo intake pipe, etc and you can end up tearing your hair out trying to solve it.

As suggested, ask the seller to remedy it - if it solves the problem then fine. But if he is unwilling to, walk away and find another without such issues. Also see it as a positive experience: the more cars you see the better informed you'll become and you should end up with a decent car.
Old 30 June 2012, 01:57 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Sigh........here we go again.
Because the OP didn't post very well and didn't give the info required, it's somehow MY fault because I asked for more info, and I'm a knowitall because I've a few posts on here.

Fair enough.

I withdraw from this and any other thread asking for help by those three members above, JAPOLLY, Ballyscoob and Classic Subaru Si.

Hope you get it sorted, mate.
I wouldn't ask you for advise anyway, for fear of you checking every word for spelling. Don't start going on with yourself "here we go again" cr@p when you only have to look at your opening response to the op.
Old 30 June 2012, 03:17 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
I wouldn't ask you for advise anyway, for fear of you checking every word for spelling. Don't start going on with yourself "here we go again" cr@p when you only have to look at your opening response to the op.
it's "advice" btw
Old 30 June 2012, 03:24 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

fair cop, I don't use spell check. It does wind me up no end though, more than the bad spelling and grammar, just no need to pull people up over it all the damn time, it's not as if we can't understand what the guys asking
Old 30 June 2012, 04:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
fair cop, I don't use spell check. It does wind me up no end though, more than the bad spelling and grammar, just no need to pull people up over it all the damn time, it's not as if we can't understand what the guys asking
not wanting to be a pedantic **** here, but read the OP. something about and actuator then................... I dunno. maybe it it just me but i would want to narrow it down a wee bit more than an actuator. there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here but you will only get a half decent answer if you give them something to work with. I can understand the OP may not be technically minded and those with lots of experience take that into account, but when you have to extract information like pulling teeth to get to the bottom of a problem I can understand Alcazar's frustration. Add into that the bad spelling and terrible grammar, text speak then you begin to understand why people just don't get involved in threads anymore. any hoo just my 2p worth.

it can be short and concise like this

or it can be very detailed like this

Now I don't expect the OP to post something like the last link, you can see the responses he got and the traffic he generated due to the amount of information he supplied.

we are getting into a totally different scene here and I apologise to the OP for the OT, but it had to said.

Last edited by bigsinky; 30 June 2012 at 04:46 PM.