Sponsored by:

Going from WRX to STI

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2012, 09:25 PM
colapepsi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from WRX to STI

Advice needed, I am thinking about going from my 2006 WRX to a 2005-2007 STI as the prices seem reasonable.

My 2006 WRX is in mint condition with 47,000 miles tomorrow I am having a look at this STI, What would be a good part ex price to change mine for this?

http://www.autoprestigecars.co.uk/us...shire/13296763

Also please remind me of the differences in performance between them.
Old 09 June 2012, 09:29 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for performance.......... what can i say? chalk and cheese comes to mind

you will be well chuffed believe me
Old 09 June 2012, 10:42 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sti is a faster car, but if you have the 2.5 wrx, at first you will miss the torque of the 2.5,
the sti will be much firmer
the one you are at has a much stronger engine than the wrx, you can push the engine much more, and still stay reliable.
It is also the later 05 with Wide track and 114 pcd and is said to be totally std,, even the exhaust.
can you keep it that way, keep it a rare car std.

good look bud

nice car

Bez

Last edited by Bez300; 09 June 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09 June 2012, 10:46 PM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

Hardly chalk and cheese, my stage one wrx is as fast as my mates sti and the drive is a lot nicer - my mates words
Old 09 June 2012, 10:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by monkfish2
Hardly chalk and cheese, my stage one wrx is as fast as my mates sti and the drive is a lot nicer - my mates words

The sti can get to reliable 450bhp with a minimal spend while a wrx will cost thousands. It would be cheaper to sell the wrx and buy an sti to achieve this figure
Old 09 June 2012, 10:54 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not just about performance buddy, totally agree that a modded WRX will no doubt keep up with a standard STI. But look at what an STI offers above a WRX in OE spec, it's a totally superior car in every way.
Let's not start another WRX vs STI thread as everybody with half a brain knows that an STI is the superior car.

OP, the car in your link looks a good one on the face of it and considering its at a dealer the price is about right. Just don't expect him to offer a great price for your car, he'll probably try and hit you hard and want £4K to change.
Old 09 June 2012, 10:57 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My reading is that the op has a std WRX so of course an STi will be quicker - if yours is what you call stage 1 then i assume we are talking exhaust and map? which would put it in the ball park power of an STi but with less weight - but i know where i'd rather be

Trending Topics

Old 09 June 2012, 10:59 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Whats the price on the STI?

Bear in mind if the STI`s are getting cheaper the WRX`s will be cheaper still
Old 09 June 2012, 11:00 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Whats the price on the STI?

Bear in mind if the STI`s are getting cheaper the WRX`s will be cheaper still
The dealer is asking £7995
Old 09 June 2012, 11:04 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Probably about right there Matty, I`d be suprised if the OP has to hand over much less than 4K and his motor.
Old 09 June 2012, 11:15 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

Std wrx & std sti are both very good, quick cars,
when you start to push them the guy in the wrx will think he is keeping up with the guy in the sti,
then the wrx brakes will stop working, the sti brakes will still be good,
the wrx will not be able to play with the rear end like the sti due to lack of dccd
then the wrx 5 speed will go bang, normally 3rd gear.
new wrx & new sti,,,, there is not £7000 difference in price for no reason, the sti is a much better more reliable car,
I am not dissing a wrx, they too are a great car, I think the sti is worth the difference.

My car is only a WRX

Bez
Old 10 June 2012, 07:30 AM
nizcon
Scooby Regular

Nice motor that, and in the fastest colour too.
I wouldn't know about px price but judging by the ride height and the dealers claim that it's unmodified, it's gunna be on standard suspension.
If it's got the common knocking shock issue, that could be a potential price negotiating point.
Old 10 June 2012, 07:39 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As above the Sti has the stronger engine and box, stiffer suspension, better brakes, wide track, DCCD, Gear change light and buzzer, blue interior.

Is it a better car? depends on your preferences and future plans.

Is it a faster car? depends on mods.

Is it worth £4k more? depends on your point of view and wallet.

You can spend £1k on yours and have the same brakes and performance, if you want to go further then it will be a cheaper and safer bet to get the sti.

Both can go pop, both have knocking suspension issues.

At the end of the day your looking so that probably means you want more and can afford it, the car in the link looks a good one and is the one to have.

Go for it, you only live once and life is too short, so have what your heart desires.
Old 11 June 2012, 12:00 PM
Jammedsix
Scooby Regular

All been said but....again if your just looking to upgrade to STI and leave it standard then potentially £4000 to swap is alot when you can spend around a grand to get STI power from your WRX.if it is the power your after.
I have the Uk300 Prodrive so only 10-15 bhp behind the STI and am in the process of going to the Next stage and possibly get Just under the 300bhp(hopefully) so more BHP than the STI

However saying all that i don't think it will be long before i go for the STI because again it is the more superior car out of the two....STI is the WRX with all the allready upgraded bits as said above ^

Its easy to make something as good as but doesn't always mean it is...

All my own opinion of course.....and eveyone will have their own views on this

Last edited by Jammedsix; 11 June 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11 June 2012, 10:09 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jammedsix
All been said but....again if your just looking to upgrade to STI and leave it standard then potentially £4000 to swap is alot when you can spend around a grand to get STI power from your WRX.if it is the power your after.
I have the Uk300 Prodrive so only 10-15 bhp behind the STI and am in the process of going to the Next stage and possibly get Just under the 300bhp(hopefully) so more BHP than the STI

However saying all that i don't think it will be long before i go for the STI because again it is the more superior car out of the two....STI is the WRX with all the allready upgraded bits as said above ^

Its easy to make something as good as but doesn't always mean it is...

All my own opinion of course.....and eveyone will have their own views on this
Wise words, my Huddersfield blue road warrior.

Bez
Old 11 June 2012, 10:53 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I went from my03 uk wrx to my05 jdm sti and the difference was well worth it, in theory my wrx was only 30hp down than the sti and was lighter, so on paper not much difference. But it still wasn't an sti. I don't regret having my wrx as it was a very good car, but the sti is in a different league and feels far better to drive. But test drive it first as it may not be what you want. Most of my passengers preferred the wrx for ride and comfort.
But I must agree that a stage 1 wrx with sti brembos is a very good car, but just not what I wanted.
Old 12 June 2012, 12:26 AM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Here's and equation for you...

WRX > STI = BMW 330 > BMW M3
Old 12 June 2012, 12:38 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

330 has around 66% of the bhp of an M3 but with no chance of ever seeing M3 power without huge money being spent.
WRX has around 85% of the bhp of an STi but with £500 chucked at it, the STi will be surpassed on power to weight.

How's my maths?
Old 12 June 2012, 01:02 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Brun
330 has around 66% of the bhp of an M3 but with no chance of ever seeing M3 power without huge money being spent.
WRX has around 85% of the bhp of an STi but with £500 chucked at it, the STi will be surpassed on power to weight.

How's my maths?
But you ain't factored in the cost of a gearbox replacement when the 5 speed does one. Also the toilet roll for when the brakes fade.
Old 12 June 2012, 01:02 AM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Okey dokey, here we go then...

Its not all about power. The M3 is far superior to the 330 in almost all respects of the car, ranging from drivetrain components to suspension parts.

Likewise the STI has a whole host of better parts than the WRX, including suspension and drivetrain.

I went from a newage WRX PPP to a 2005 STI. They were supposed to be hitting the same power. Like hell did they! The STI was obviously quicker, but what I really appreciated was how solid and stable the STI felt over the WRX.

Honestly, my WRX felt flimsy in comparison to my STI, with regards to handling characteristics. That's not to say that the WRX is not a good car, but they should not be compared to each other as they are on different platforms.

A better comparison would be WRX vs BMW 330 or Golf GTI or Civic Type R and so on.

For the STI it would be vs Mitsubishi EVO, BMW M3, Golf R32 and so on.
Old 12 June 2012, 01:11 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Its not all about power.
Not always - but sometimes. Some people just like the rush of power between the roundabouts and don't really give a ****e about hammering into corners with the brakes glowing.
I'm one of these people (and you can be **** sure that i'd still pick an STi over the WRX )
Old 12 June 2012, 01:30 AM
zayd
Scooby Regular

Even when you just pootle along in an STI, it feels like a bloody tank. I can hear the chassis talking to me...
Old 12 June 2012, 12:42 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a 04 wrx, sl spec, done 117k miles, which I might get maybe £3k in chop? Just need to find a nice STi to have a deal with. To me it makes more sense to get one as the standard wrx brakes are a challenge. I'm looking at low to mid 300's so it's not even worth it IMO to start changing brakes, turbo, injectors, intercooler, etc, etc with my wrx as it'll just end up been broke for spares to get any decent money back out of it ....
Old 12 June 2012, 12:52 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Had both & Sti much better car all-round in my opinion. Give it a test drive & bet your itching to get it....
Old 12 June 2012, 12:57 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

the wrx is a far superior car,
your paying extra money for blue seats
Old 12 June 2012, 01:01 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

I wnet from bug wrx to jdm bug sti, for me the sti is a much better car, the way it feels and drives, just feels much more fun and composed. I like the power delivery of the sti too.
Old 12 June 2012, 01:25 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

These threads make me laugh, I really loved the chalk and cheese and 330 vs M3 comparisons.

A stage 1 WRX vs a sti on the road is a very close comparison evo mag rated the WRX the better car for normal road use. I wouldn’t personally want to swap a hawk WRX for a older spec STI as it would feel like a step backwards for just a road car..

Blue door cards, 6 speed and a load of bits I would personally throw away doesn’t sound like chalk and cheese to me. Standard STI boys please don’t go out and race a New M3 as it would be embarrassing for us all.
Old 12 June 2012, 01:26 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
These threads make me laugh, I really loved the chalk and cheese and 330 vs M3 comparisons.

A stage 1 WRX vs a sti on the road is a very close comparison evo mag rated the WRX the better car for normal road use. I wouldn’t personally want to swap a hawk WRX for a older spec STI as it would feel like a step backwards for just a road car..

Blue door cards, 6 speed and a load of bits I would personally throw away doesn’t sound like chalk and cheese to me. Standard STI boys please don’t go out and race a New M3 as it would be embarrassing for us all.
throw away a 6 speed??
didnt you just have one fitted to your wrx?
Old 12 June 2012, 01:40 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Blue door cards, 6 speed AND a load of bits I would personally throw away doesn’t sound like chalk and cheese to me.

Nope the 6 speeds the key bit that makes a STI worth paying the extra for
Old 12 June 2012, 01:44 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

wrx is the better car......

Quick Reply: Going from WRX to STI