Sponsored by:

OEM Airbox resonator box

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2012, 03:49 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Airbox resonator box

Does anyone know if it is ok to run the air box with the resonator removed?
Old 02 June 2012, 04:33 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this should be fine generally, as long as the filter is in place (obviously!). I have gone through a few of these modifications on old and new cars including Legacy 2.0 NA, UK Turbo 2000 Impreza and 2.5 WRX Impreza, and in all cases I ended up putting the resonator back on eventually. It does increase induction noise a bit and doesn't seem to hinder performance at all, however I found that in all cases it caused the induction to 'drone' a bit when cruising, which i was soon tired of.

Also, when I removed the resonator from the 2.5 WRX, i found that it served another purpose (I think) in that there was a hole in the bottom section, which made me think that it might be used as a catch-can for water taken into the induction system. Water could get in, but it would be caught and would drain out the bottom of the resonator.

Many guys on here I believe run without the resonator - snorkus delete, it's sometimes known as

Hope that helps
Old 02 June 2012, 05:06 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If its an early classic just make sure the replacement hardpipe allows you to re-plum the solenoid and idle returns
Old 02 June 2012, 06:20 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Fantastic. thanks for the informed answers. The only reason i want it removed is to be able to add a cold air feed on the day i get my car re-mapped. I will be adding a 80mm maf induction kit that can only be fitted in situ. The idea is to remove the snorkel before hand, drive to mapper, remove air box, fit induction kit and also fit a cold air feed.
The snorkel is a job too far to do at my mapping session.

thanks Lads
Andrew. p.s my car is a 2003

Last edited by apac; 02 June 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02 June 2012, 06:39 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah your plan makes good sense there - enjoy the mapping
Old 03 June 2012, 02:03 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Andrew : FWIW I did a lot of experiments on my STi 3 Wagon when I started tuning it. This included removal of the snorkel and various panel air filters. In semi standard form with the existing modifications the power was 335.5 bhp on the rollers with Steve Simpson/TEG Sport. I removed the snorkel and power was back to 327 something but with a louder induction roar. This was not what I expected and I gave it a lot of thought. On return home I got another snorkel from one of the cars here and refitted it. (I had actually hacksawed the old snorkel while the car was on the rollers to get it off quickly).
I returned to TEG the next day and we got 335 bhp, removed the snorkel carefully and got 327 bhp. The snorkel was refitted and back to 335 bhp.
If you are continuing to run the MAF sensor then I think you have to continue to run the snorkel and the reason for this is that the snorkel smooths out air flow pre maf sensor. I see that plastic U tubes are available to delete the snorkel and that may give a different result. It also may be that the result would change with remapping but as far as I am concerned from the work I did, if you are running a MAF sensor stick with the snorkel.
Old 03 June 2012, 02:12 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

I will be removing the whole OEM air box for induction kit and cold air feed anyways once at Bob Rawles. I just needed to know if i can run my car off boost for 70 miles to get to Swindon without the snorkel resonator as this takes a bit more time and effort to remove than just the air box. I hope that makes sense?