Sponsored by:

obp baffled catch tank

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2012, 05:54 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obp baffled catch tank

has anyone whos bought a baffled one looked inside?
reason i ask is mine says baffled on it and i paid extra for baffled but took drain screw out and shined torch through inlet and its empty?
Old 31 May 2012, 05:57 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

i just have a piece of scotch bright in the bottom of mine to catch the oil and works spot on.
Old 31 May 2012, 06:03 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

theres no way to open it up to put anything in without having it all welded back up
Old 01 June 2012, 08:29 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

left a message on their answer phone last night got to twelve today and rang them.
i am very dissapointed with the customer service the quality of the tank is excellent wish i'd paid more and got one from else where. will be returning it for refund
Old 01 June 2012, 08:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they just sent the wrong one out as they do both baffled and non-baffled ones
Old 01 June 2012, 08:38 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

spoke to the bloke on phone and he wouldnt have it that it wasn't a baffled one. i must of told him five times that it is completely empty.
i need one desperately and he wants pictures etc sending back then wait for replies it'll be two weeks till i eventually get a baffled one from them
Old 01 June 2012, 08:55 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Use this mate, send it back, get a replacement and make sure they refund all of your postage costs

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...ral/oft913.pdf
Old 01 June 2012, 09:06 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Iv got one & I'm suspicious now. Mines coming off tomorrow to be checked & if it's not baffled I'm having a full refund or I'll create the mother of all stinks & tell all my Motorsport connections how shoddy they are. I paid for the baffled version & I won't be ripped off by anyone.
Old 01 June 2012, 09:13 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

sweet thanks
Old 01 June 2012, 09:13 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I'd be interested in knowing whether it's a one off or if they are genuinely bad; I was about to order one
Old 01 June 2012, 09:27 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

it probably is a one off but the bloke on the phone's attitude was the final straw for me
Old 01 June 2012, 09:34 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukimpreza
it probably is a one off but the bloke on the phone's attitude was the final straw for me
Wether it's a one off or not they aren't cheap & its poor form they haven't sorted it for you. I'll post my findings tomorrow.
Old 01 June 2012, 09:45 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

think ill get my mate to make one at work. anyone know any designs for the baffles etc?
Old 02 June 2012, 11:11 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Right, just to set the record straight, these are baffled, & I suspect UKimprezas is too. You need a small headed camera on a flexi to see it as the plate is at the top of the can. The plate is at the verry top welded in at an angle like a ramp under the vent & 1 port, but two ports sit under it. I can't comment on wether this is correct or not now as the level on the side showed mine was collecting oil, but it is infect only collecting water. As I can smell oil vapours passing through the vent I suspect the baffle set up is wrong.
I'd spend my money on an RCM one next time as it's the only one I know actually works properly.
Old 02 June 2012, 11:25 AM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

mine is defo empty a bore scope confirmed.
Old 02 June 2012, 05:07 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

For how much use the baffle is I'd get a refund & buy an RCM one. Mine only catches water & the oil sprays out of the K&N from the vent. Very disappointing,why aren't these made properly?
Old 02 June 2012, 07:27 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

how long have you had yours
Old 02 June 2012, 08:23 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Not long, about 3 months. If it was going to catch any oil it would have done on a road mapping session last Saturday when it was driven fairly hard.
Old 03 June 2012, 08:48 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

I have an obp one.
I can't tell if its baffled but it certainly caught plenty of oil on my last track day.
Never catches any on the road tho.
Old 03 June 2012, 09:05 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

The thing is Don, I thought mine caught oil as it was half full on the pipe on the side. No oil gets in the inlet or intercooler, but the oil goes straight through the can & out the K&N breather vent. All that stays in the can is water.
I think if I send the vent to a second smaller can with scotch brite in it the oil will be caught, but why should I have to do that. I'm now thinking of getting a refund & buying th RCM one.
Has anyone else got an OBP can & how does it perform?
Old 03 June 2012, 10:00 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
The thing is Don, I thought mine caught oil as it was half full on the pipe on the side. No oil gets in the inlet or intercooler, but the oil goes straight through the can & out the K&N breather vent. All that stays in the can is water.
I think if I send the vent to a second smaller can with scotch brite in it the oil will be caught, but why should I have to do that. I'm now thinking of getting a refund & buying th RCM one.
Has anyone else got an OBP can & how does it perform?
I ran mine for just under a month on the road and never collected a drop.
After 20mins going round Castle Combe it was half full. I emptied it out and it was all oil (no water). Topped up my oil and did another 20min session and it was half full again.
I have now made it return to sump as its a pain to empty everytime I pit.

My vent is just a hose run down the transmission tunnel with no filter.

I shone a torch in mine and couldn't see any baffles but my experience so far has been fine.
Old 03 June 2012, 10:17 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Your vent is similar to mine just mine has K & N on it, but the oil coming out of the filter should have stayed in the tank. Iv got a few jobs to finish on mine before it goes on a track day but I'm considering return to sump for track use only as I don't fancy all that water going in my oil during road use.
Old 03 June 2012, 10:20 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Don,do you have any pictures of your set up so I can compare it to mine,& in particular the sump return. Thanks.
Old 03 June 2012, 11:25 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

hmm i don't know why the oil would come out the breather and not be caught in the tank.
Your breather is a larger diameter hose, right? I would of thought gravity alone would keep the oil in the can.

I made a thread of my install:
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...n-to-sump.html
Old 03 June 2012, 01:12 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Thanks Don. My breather is the larger pipe. Infect apart from tank location & return to sump it's the same as my set up. Do you not get any oil around your vent atall?
Old 03 June 2012, 08:26 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Thanks Don. My breather is the larger pipe. Infect apart from tank location & return to sump it's the same as my set up. Do you not get any oil around your vent atall?
Its difficult to say as i dont have a filter on it so i can only really see when i'm working under the car. But when the can was half full the oil dropped on the dip stick from the top hole to the bottom hole which is about half a litre so it adds up if you see what i mean.
There is a little oil around the end of the of the hose but i figured that was from the oily air condensing on the walls of the vent hose.
Old 03 June 2012, 09:17 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I'm sure some oil from the vent is normal as the vapours are oily. Thinking about it the water in my catch tank was slightly oily so perhaps all is OK after all. Im going to route my vent to a second tank which used to be fitted to my car just to see how much comes from the vent. I'd like to return to sump like yours, but I'm not happy to do it at the moment while it's catching so much moisture, perhaps it's just the weather we have been having.
Old 04 June 2012, 03:28 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

the oil collected in mine did not look watery at all it just looked like used oil. I don't think i would be happy setting it to return to sump if it looked at all watery either.
I have heard that you do get a watery or mayo like stuff if you only do short journeys. Dunno if that is the difference between mine and yours?
Old 07 June 2012, 09:11 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I am trying to order one of these OBP baffled catch cans from their site with custom port sizes, how long do they take to reply?

Or can anyone else recommend a good baffled catch can (apart from RCM which cost way too much)?
Old 07 June 2012, 10:24 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

The RCM one is pricey but comes with all the pipes & fittings Inc return to sump set up. By the time youv bought your OBP, a load of samco or similar & fittings you won't be too far behind the cost of an RCM. Don't get me wrong the OBP is well made but I'm not convinced how well mine works at the moment & with ukimpreza having no baffle in his I'm now thinking RCM is a better buy.
However they are quick to respond to orders, mine took about three days to arrive & it's probably the only realistic alternative to a RCM.

Quick Reply: obp baffled catch tank