First time Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2001, 03:31 PM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

2nd time on the BBS, be gentle...!
I'm looking at buying a new car as I opt out of a company car scheme and the Scooby 5 door Turbo is towards the top of my list.
I'd appreciate some thoughts on the following 3 options I'm considering .
1. 1999/2000 MY 5 door from a Subaru UK dealer with the balance of the UK warranty-Generally these cars are advertised at around £16k to £18k and I would hope/expect to to be able to get at least a further £1,000 (or more??)for a straight cash sale.
2.2000 MY-Brand new as a Y reg. My local dealer has 2 of these cars left (1 DMB, 1 Silver) and the deal he is offering is £19,250 including the Mica and Air fitted.
3.WRX MY01 import-Seems to be widely advertised at £16.5k to £18.5k but with a 3 to 5 month wait for a 5 door. I've looked into the UK 'official' route and the 2 dealers I've spoke to wouldn't offer any deal at all on a new car, in stock or to order.
I've now driven both the 'Old' and 'New' cars and for once agree with most of the UK motoring press when they've done the same comparisons. I think the MY01 is a better overall complete car with a number of useful improvements over the old car, but with an ugly face!. The old car is simply more F.U.N and faster, but I can see how it may become wearing over the long term, particuarly with the crappy interior enviroment.
To confuse the issue there are 2 other cars I'm considering and no surprise they are increasingly mentioned on the BBS recently. They are the Audi S3 Quattro and the BMW 330dse Touring (need space for the dog!)
I look forward to hearing the normal non biased BBS responses!!.
Old 11 April 2001, 09:33 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Gareth (thought it might be worth posting again to kick off the discussion...)

I suggest you re-post a new post in the General Section to get a few more responses but here is a personal view.

Whatever you purchase will depreciate. If you want to minimise depreciation then buy the used UK car or alternatively look out for a used UK Spec EU Import which are presently being advertised (year old MY00) in the likes of Autocar for around £14,000. You don't get the extended warranty but you can buy this for £350 - everything else is the same as UK car.

Secondly, relating to depreciation, a new MY01 is likely to depreciate slower than a new MY00.

Thirdly, relating to depreciation, a MY01 EU Import will depreciate at the same rate as a UK car but the initial and final values (for the first three years or so) will remain relative i.e. so you pay less initially and you get less back at point of sale.

If its important for the car to be new (it was for me because I wanted to ensure it hand't been abused) then its a personal choice between the MY00 and MY01 - test drive them both and make a personal choice.

Personally, my desire for a new car and financial constraints mean't that I imported a EU car. I can recommend this route if you are prepared to wait and undertake the (minor) hassle of importing. If this is your scenario then I'd go for the WRX MY01 EU Import and spend a little more on performance improvements.

Phil (MY00 5 Door EU Import)
Old 13 April 2001, 06:15 PM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Come on Guys and Girls let's hear your thoughts!!!.

I've got a itch in my wallet and it's waiting to be unleashed on a Scooby...

All views taken...no crap about gold wheels though....
Old 13 April 2001, 06:43 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Gareth,

This is how I decided.

I nearly bought a brand new MY00. Then I thought I better test drive the MY01.. despite what people are saying about it.

I'm glad I did... I decided to buy a MY01.

I chose the MY01 because I do a fair bit of motorway driving. I enjoy the MY01 more on the motorways than i did previous scoobs. Plus the handling is so crisp and responsive it's a joy to chuck about the corners.

Otherwise go for the MY00... it "Feels" quicker.... It depends on your average driving style.

I bought mine new from a UK dealer.. I know rip off Britain and all that. I have been saving for the past seven years and I could not be ar*ed to wait another 6 months waiting for an EU import.

Plus I did not want the hassle that comes with importing one from Japan.

hope that helps
Old 13 April 2001, 07:10 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

An interesting choice of cars to choose from. Not sure how the S3 slipped into the list if you need a 5 door WRX and 3 series Touring.

Why not buy a 3 month old demonstrator. These are listed at £19,750. For cash your sure to get more off. You should get at least £1,200 off a brand new UK car.
Some dealers are still living in the 90's.

I'd certainly go for a MY01 over the old shape. Lots more going for it. MY00 is not in the same class. It only has the extra push in the back over the MY01. Yes I have owned a MY00 before I get flammed.

If it was S3 vs MY00 i would go for an S3 with a chip anytime. I owned an S3 at the sametime as a MY00. If you dont want to chip the S3, then MY00.

I'm driving my second S3 at the moment, and its not chipped. Its pretty unexciting without it. I'm 90% certain that I will change it for a MY01 Special Edition in a couple of months - got the reg S300 UK just in case

Jonathan