Sponsored by:

Re Map questions

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2012, 08:18 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re Map questions

I have just about got enough cash to get my car re mapped.
My question(s) are , what would make it easy/ier for a mapper to get the best out of my car?
I have a full decat and front mount to go on, its a V4 '97 type R.
Really should I add an uprated fuel pump etc
Just ket me know really dont want to be wasting mappers time and my money for a few extra £ spent before mapping
Cheers Matt
Old 19 May 2012, 08:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I would personally get a Walbro or other uprated fuel pump Matt as the standard unit will be tired by now. Also a good panel air filter if not already done. I'm not sure what turbo you run on a '97 Type-r but sure the mapper can tell you it's possibilities if standard.

'97 cars need an external ECU don't they, like an Apexi/Simtec etc. Where you aware of this?

When I wanted my '99 UK Scoob mapping I sent an inocuous email to Bob Rawle under recommendation from Alcazar (Jeff) on here who has used him several times before.

In the end I sourced an already licensed ECUtek ECU for £140, a 60 mile old Green Cotton filter for £20 and a brand new Walbro for £60. I already had a 3" decat on and paid Bob £280 for a total fresh map on said bought ECU having not had to pay the license fee again.

The results (on a standard pddly TD04 turbo) are below...

And I was impressed
Old 19 May 2012, 08:28 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

As above add a walbro fuel pump, make sure the car is serviced,NGK PFR7B plugs , etc
Turbo back exhaust, walbro pump, FMIC, induction kit and some sort of aftermarket management expect around 330hp
Old 19 May 2012, 08:37 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Eh up Andy, nope going on the ESL route for mine, rather than standalone. Cars fully decatted, GT spec headers, up pipe and ive got a front mount to go on, turbo is a VF 22 iirc, my question was sort of should i uprate fuel pump, which you ve answered and Im not sure about boost controller solenoid etc.
You would have thought I would have known by now but I might as well add what needs to be added before the map
Old 19 May 2012, 09:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matttp1
Eh up Andy, nope going on the ESL route for mine, rather than standalone. Cars fully decatted, GT spec headers, up pipe and ive got a front mount to go on, turbo is a VF 22 iirc, my question was sort of should i uprate fuel pump, which you ve answered and Im not sure about boost controller solenoid etc.
You would have thought I would have known by now but I might as well add what needs to be added before the map

Someone like Bob Rawle (my example) will answer any questions you have and won't think any less of you for it.

Good fun if you map on the road I did
Old 19 May 2012, 09:13 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andy
Think I'll uprate fuel pump and see how it goes.
Looking like Dunx from racedynamix for the remap for where i am and what ive read.
Will be road mapped.. i think Lol
Will let you know how it goes should be fairly soon
Old 20 May 2012, 01:18 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

turbo should be a vf24 btw , your boost solenoid is a 3 port so leave that alone , very good anyway, you dont need a boost controller if youre going esl, can run mafless aswell if you prefer. i think you should get about 330
Old 20 May 2012, 07:17 AM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
turbo should be a vf24 btw , your boost solenoid is a 3 port so leave that alone , very good anyway, you dont need a boost controller if youre going esl, can run mafless aswell if you prefer. i think you should get about 330
Hi mate it is a 24, had been drinking. I'll just get a fuel pump then
Cheers Matt
Old 21 May 2012, 08:36 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heed what Andy/C.O.B. says above. Get your car to the conditon you intend to keep it at for some time otherwise you will need a second remap on a car approaching 15 years it would be foolish not to replace the fuel pump. Make sure you get a genuine Walbro 255 which are readily available for £75 posted and I see someone has got the price down to £60.
If you havn't got new plugs in the car fairly recently then a set of NGK PFR7B which are one grade hotter than those recommended by Subaru.
Check there are no misfires from deteriorating plug leads for instance and if you replace any plug leads stick with the Subaru items which are very good.
Clean air filter if it is dirty. There is nothing wrong with the Subaru paper/cardboard air filter but it does need frequent changing so consider a K+N which you can clean if you are keeping the car for a while.
Turn up for the mapping session with the fuel that you always use and stick to it. Preferably Momentum or Shell V-Power and not 95 Ron if you are interested in power.
Old 21 May 2012, 09:17 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Heed what Andy/C.O.B. says above. Get your car to the conditon you intend to keep it at for some time otherwise you will need a second remap on a car approaching 15 years it would be foolish not to replace the fuel pump. Make sure you get a genuine Walbro 255 which are readily available for £75 posted and I see someone has got the price down to £60.
If you havn't got new plugs in the car fairly recently then a set of NGK PFR7B which are one grade hotter than those recommended by Subaru.
Check there are no misfires from deteriorating plug leads for instance and if you replace any plug leads stick with the Subaru items which are very good.
Clean air filter if it is dirty. There is nothing wrong with the Subaru paper/cardboard air filter but it does need frequent changing so consider a K+N which you can clean if you are keeping the car for a while.
Turn up for the mapping session with the fuel that you always use and stick to it. Preferably Momentum or Shell V-Power and not 95 Ron if you are interested in power.
Hi Harvey
Fuel pump ordered, HRC, not Walbro. Metal type induction cone, got the car in March and i'm not overly sure when the plugs where changed, so i'll put them on the shopping list, plug leads are fine. Always ran on Momentum.
This is number 4 scoob but ive never had one mapped, so i wanted it to be top of its game when it came to getting mapped
Cheers Matt
Old 21 May 2012, 09:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

One thing to be wary of Matt and this happened to me after my remap. The leads, plugs and coil pack(s) may seem fine but may later show up a problem when more power is released. I thought all my leads etc. we're fine as during the map nothing showed up, but on the drive home I had an intermittent misfire when hitting close to full boost.

Plugs changed to the 7's as above, still did it. Several emails back and forth to Bob found the issue to be either the leads/coil. These were changed with known working ones and the issue disappeared. Both had been fine on standard power but that extra 0.5 bar of boost showed up a dormant fault.
Old 21 May 2012, 10:10 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andy. I'll bare it in mind and recheck
Matt
Old 21 May 2012, 10:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Does a remap up the boost?
Old 21 May 2012, 10:31 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Does a remap up the boost?
Depends on what the reason is for mapping and what mods / changes have been made. Re mapping is to fine tune the ecu set up and and control over the engine.
Old 21 May 2012, 10:36 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madmarx
Depends on what the reason is for mapping and what mods / changes have been made. Re mapping is to fine tune the ecu set up and and control over the engine.
Ok I mean why people are talking about getting their new WRX 'mapped'?
Old 21 May 2012, 10:46 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Ok I mean why people are talking about getting their new WRX 'mapped'?
Personal choice i guess. See if a bit more power can be tweeked from the engine. You should only really need to remap if you have changed a part or parts on your car that are out of the standard set up parameters.
Old 22 May 2012, 11:18 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I think most of the type Rs have got between 340-350 on ESL. Love to see one on 20% meth on map 2!