Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you own a SimTek made between 2007 and 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2012, 08:17 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you own a SimTek made between 2007 and 2012?

If so, go read the post in Traders Announcements, just in case you don't normally scroll that far down!
Old 07 May 2012, 08:55 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Alan
Old 07 May 2012, 10:08 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Spot on info that Alan thanks Duncan's getting a call as he supplied it do I return for upgrade through him ?
Old 07 May 2012, 10:36 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by leecalcars
Spot on info that Alan thanks Duncan's getting a call as he supplied it do I return for upgrade through him ?
Correct!
Old 07 May 2012, 10:40 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

I bet everyone who flogged their 'old simtek' units are gutted!
Old 08 May 2012, 04:33 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

It is a real shame that Alcatek didn't do this in the first place. It is also a shame it is only for the 2007 models and newer.

Thank goodness I jumped ship when I did, my car is a classic.
Old 08 May 2012, 04:43 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
It is a real shame that Alcatek didn't do this in the first place. It is also a shame it is only for the 2007 models and newer.

Thank goodness I jumped ship when I did, my car is a classic.
No this is for Simtek units made between 2007-2012, so about 96% of the user base can have their ECU's upgraded.
Old 08 May 2012, 06:31 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
No this is for Simtek units made between 2007-2012, so about 96% of the user base can have their ECU's upgraded.
Oops

My loss then, why didn't Alcatek get off his @rse and sort this out when people wanted it?

A lot of un-necessary expense and time wasted!
Old 08 May 2012, 10:32 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Originally Posted by Scooby B
I bet everyone who flogged their 'old simtek' units are gutted!
nope not one bit,too little too late as far as im concerned,the support for this ecu should have come a long time ago and never did,so glad i ditched it and moved to a syvecs ecu when i had the chance.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:16 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan
nope not one bit,too little too late as far as im concerned,the support for this ecu should have come a long time ago and never did,so glad i ditched it and moved to a syvecs ecu when i had the chance.
Nothing wrong with your choice, at least the person who now has your old SimTek can make good use of it!
Old 09 May 2012, 07:25 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent news.

Now to plan a trip over
Old 09 May 2012, 07:43 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Nothing wrong with your choice, at least the person who now has your old SimTek can make good use of it!
very true, my old 99 one sold aswell , gone to a syvecs, if this upgrade had come out a little while ago it would have saved me some £££££,
But as you say Alan the new owners will get better use out of them now
Old 09 May 2012, 08:32 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

It has only been a few months since Steve Simpson announced his replacement ecu due to alcatek not providing upgrades. Then all of a sudden all these new features are added, so technically it wasn't a huge task and at a cost of £60. Leaves a very bad taste!
Old 09 May 2012, 10:44 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

It has only been a few months since Steve Simpson announced his replacement ecu due to alcatek not providing upgrades. Then all of a sudden all these new features are added, so technically it wasn't a huge task and at a cost of £60. Leaves a very bad taste!
To be fair, technically it very much is a big task!
The original product was what it was, and wasn't sold on the promise of free upgrades.
It would have been nice to have been able to come up with something earlier, but for ourselves, we always got on well with the SimTek and we're very pleased with what we're seeing now.
As I've said, it provided a great solution for sensible money.
Old 09 May 2012, 11:02 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
To be fair, technically it very much is a big task!
The original product was what it was, and wasn't sold on the promise of free upgrades.
It would have been nice to have been able to come up with something earlier, but for ourselves, we always got on well with the SimTek and we're very pleased with what we're seeing now.
As I've said, it provided a great solution for sensible money.
I never asked for free upgrades, I would of gladly paid £60 and a remap tweak to give me these features. But many people have been asking for just active knock control, maybe wideband. I got sick of waiting and sold my Simtek secondhand- lost money, bought a new ECU, more money laid out. A full remap required instead of a tweak, more money.

You can see where I am coming from, and its only taken a few months to completely revise the original Simtek into something that every other ECU currently has.

Extremely poor customer service on the part of Alcatek!
Old 09 May 2012, 11:15 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

I never asked for free upgrades, I would of gladly paid £60 and a remap tweak to give me these features. But many people have been asking for just active knock control, maybe wideband. I got sick of waiting and sold my Simtek secondhand- lost money, bought a new ECU, more money laid out. A full remap required instead of a tweak, more money.

You can see where I am coming from, and its only taken a few months to completely revise the original Simtek into something that every other ECU currently has.

Extremely poor customer service on the part of Alcatek!
Of course you're entitled to an opinion, but it's a bit like blaming Apple for not having the latest iphone features out in time for you to decide between one of their products and a Blackberry. That's my opinion by the way.
AlcaTek are a very small business indeed, and don't have a customer service department. Therefore I'll offer their apologies for not being able to meet your requirements.
Old 11 May 2012, 09:55 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by alanbell
But as you say Alan the new owners will get better use out of them now
Yep, and very grateful I am too! Car is currently running a treat and will be all the better for this upgrade!