Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What sort of price for backbox modification?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2012, 09:19 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What sort of price for backbox modification?

Just looking to see if others have had this done and/or an idea of price.

Basically myself and another memebr on here did a backbox swap. Both Cobra backboxes with 3" pipework. The only reason for the swap was aethestics, he preferred the straight exit type of mine and I preferred the up/angled exit type of his. So all good there.

When mine arrived to him, it fitted a dream (classic going onto newage). His hasn't really fitted mine well (newage onto classic) which is a chance I took. I'm certainly not annoyed or anything with him, indeed we've had banter over the phone. But obviously the fitment issue needs sorting.

The issue is the angle of the pipework. The flange fitment is ok onto the centre section, but when tightened up it's lifted the centre section up towards the car so is tapping around there. The backbox pipe is also rubbing on the rear axle (has pretty much worn through the thickness of the backbox and is blowing a little).

I've called Cobra up in Sheffield and they had a quick look but were to busy to sort it then. Matt/Mark? said it'll just be an hourly rate job as it needs new pipe re-angling down to miss the axle/drive shaft and adjustment to the hangers so the centre section drops back down again. So looking around £100+ for this.

It's definitely not just a case of adjusting hangers as otherwise the tailpipe will sit far too low off the rear bumper.

Anyone have something similar done and what did it cost? The Scoob is off the road anyway for Lambda related issue so not being driven.

Thanks.
Old 06 May 2012, 09:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

£100? That's about three driving lessons isn't it?
Old 07 May 2012, 02:47 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

They only wanted £75 to make a 'de-cat' pipe for my 944! That involves removing the old centre section, fabricating a new part and fitting it - so £100 to massage a ready made part is a **** take.

Simon
Old 07 May 2012, 08:05 AM
Schwabbie
Scooby Regular

I used my local Powerflow agent to modify the pipework on a backbox - They charged £50 for extending the pipework and fitting everything up
Old 07 May 2012, 09:09 AM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At that price wouldnt you be better off just buying another exhaust? as you will know theres always cheap second hand ones to be had on here.