Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sti type R version 6 V limited (2000)

Old 26 April 2012, 10:32 AM
  #1  
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
BenGTTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kent
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti type R version 6 V limited (2000)

Hi all i am a newbie to this site and im basicly looking for a bit of advice.

I have been after a Impreza for a long time now and time has come where i can buy and afford to run one.

I am currently looking at a Subaru Impreza sti type R version 6 V limited (2000) from sva imports in Dover, Kent.

Link to car: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3306091.htm

I really like the car and looks like a very clean unmodified example, I have also left a deposit with sva for the car.

Now problem i have is that originaly i was looking at the normal impreza sti's and im not very clued up on the type r v6. I have tried searching online for hours but i cant seem to find much information on the 2000 Subaru Impreza sti type R version 6 V limited, I can only find earlier models.

Can anyone help me out on where i can find any information on this exact model?? Also is there anything i need to know or look out for ?? Someone told me the v5/6 engines are weak? is this true?? And finally am i right to say that the bumper on the car is off a 22b ??

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
BenGTTurbo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 10:46 AM
  #2  
Bristol98
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: www.bbscoobys.com
Posts: 716
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The V5/V6 engines are fine as far as I know (I've got a V6 STi wagon and not had a problem yet), the only weak point with them is the MAF is fragile especially when used with an induction kit....

Nice looking car too!

Last edited by Bristol98; 26 April 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Bristol98 is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 11:01 AM
  #3  
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (92)
 
crazyspeedfreakz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo View Post
Hi all i am a newbie to this site and im basicly looking for a bit of advice.

I have been after a Impreza for a long time now and time has come where i can buy and afford to run one.

I am currently looking at a Subaru Impreza sti type R version 6 V limited (2000) from sva imports in Dover, Kent.

Link to car: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3306091.htm

I really like the car and looks like a very clean unmodified example, I have also left a deposit with sva for the car.

Now problem i have is that originaly i was looking at the normal impreza sti's and im not very clued up on the type r v6. I have tried searching online for hours but i cant seem to find much information on the 2000 Subaru Impreza sti type R version 6 V limited, I can only find earlier models.

Can anyone help me out on where i can find any information on this exact model?? Also is there anything i need to know or look out for ?? Someone told me the v5/6 engines are weak? is this true?? And finally am i right to say that the bumper on the car is off a 22b ??

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
Nice car ... But not worth 8.5k unless it's had a rebuild I'd say its worth no more than 6.5 -7 tops but even that might be generous.

What has the car got or is it completely standard ?
crazyspeedfreakz is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 11:16 AM
  #4  
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
BenGTTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kent
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bristol98 View Post
The V5/V6 engines are fine as far as I know (I've got a V6 STi wagon and not had a problem yet), the only weak point with them is the MAF is fragile especially when used with an induction kit....

Nice looking car too!
Thanks for your reply, What do you mean by fragile ?? Can this be bypassed anyway ??

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz View Post
Nice car ... But not worth 8.5k unless it's had a rebuild I'd say its worth no more than 6.5 -7 tops but even that might be generous.

What has the car got or is it completely standard ?
Thanks, The car is completely slandered apart from what looks to be a 22b front bumper. The car has also done 69,000 killometers ... I have knocked the price down to 8,000 that includes full service and 12 month warranty.. Do you think the price is a bit to much. Ruffly what sort of miles will a standard well serviced engine reach before needs a rebuild ?? Cheers
BenGTTurbo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 11:42 AM
  #5  
wrx9181
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
wrx9181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 4,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes by fitting a maf less Ecu
Or just add a maf to your service every year
Engines are great in these v5/6 sti s.
But as said expensive mate .
wrx9181 is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 11:49 AM
  #6  
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
BenGTTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kent
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Im getting put off this now, Seems like the MAF sensor is the main killer of these engines from what iv just been reading
BenGTTurbo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 11:49 AM
  #7  
mantazini
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (25)
 
mantazini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MSOC
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It can be bypassed with mafless Simtek Ecu , or fitting z32/q45 Maf from a Nissan , and adjusting your map to it. Their much stronger that impress v5/6 mafs, and do handle up to 450 bhp very well. Regarding the car, I think SVA are overprised, as you could find a well sorted type r limited for that amount with a engine rebuild, 6 speed box etc. SVA sell quality thought, just yen and pound exchange rate is not in our favour ATM.
mantazini is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 11:53 AM
  #8  
mantazini
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (25)
 
mantazini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MSOC
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo View Post
Im getting put off this now, Seems like the MAF sensor is the main killer of these engines from what iv just been reading
Don't mate. All old cars will have some kind off bugs, but everything can be done/fixed. You'll need it get remapped anyway, so Maf is one little thing go be sorted. Yes their a week point, but if you swap/delete it , you'll have probably one of the greatest classics.
mantazini is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:02 PM
  #9  
Billy 3
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It is a little pricey but If your not bothered about that then go for it.
Looks a nice car,but better could be found for 8K.Would'nt worry about
the MAF thats a easy fix.

Good luck with the purchase.
Billy 3 is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:05 PM
  #10  
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (92)
 
crazyspeedfreakz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo View Post
Im getting put off this now, Seems like the MAF sensor is the main killer of these engines from what iv just been reading
The maf will not kill ur engine ... U would just have running issues..
Very simple to remove and replace only takes 10 min and if u can get a good secondhand one on this site for about 60 .. Or 120 new..

My only problem with this car is 8000 .. I mean it's just sooo over priced .. 6000 would be my limit for this car but that's my view ..

crazyspeedfreakz is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:12 PM
  #11  
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
BenGTTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kent
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mantazini View Post
Don't mate. All old cars will have some kind off bugs, but everything can be done/fixed. You'll need it get remapped anyway, so Maf is one little thing go be sorted. Yes their a week point, but if you swap/delete it , you'll have probably one of the greatest classics.

So do these cars have to be mapped to run on uk fuel?? Can they not run on shell v-power ?? Also can you map the standard ecu or would i have to go piggyback/standalone??

Also people saying would be better to get one thats been rebuilt?? I dont really understand that as the cars only on about 50,000 uk miles and i thought the engines would be strong?? I have a little Toyota starlet 1.3 gt turbo that if had for 6 years now and thats on 190,000 and still running sweet as lol.

Sorry for all the questions its just that i wanna make sure i make the right choice as like said above 8k is alot of money
BenGTTurbo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:14 PM
  #12  
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
KAOS_JNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 395
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

A faulty maf Will cause the A/F mixture to be all over the place and the ECU will pull fueling out and this in a worst case situation melt a piston i have a v6 uk car and when i purchased it the car had a shot maf i purchased a second hand one from one of the guys on here car has been spot on sice i am now fitting a Q45 Maf as this is a better solution and are far more reliable as i have fitted many performance parts i.e turbo,ecu,downpipe and fmic.

i purchased my Q45 from Jap performance parts expensive but imo worth every penny

I agree this car seems high in price but tbh if you like the car go for it mate
KAOS_JNR is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:15 PM
  #13  
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
BenGTTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kent
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz View Post
The maf will not kill ur engine ... U would just have running issues..
Very simple to remove and replace only takes 10 min and if u can get a good secondhand one on this site for about 60 .. Or 120 new..

My only problem with this car is 8000 .. I mean it's just sooo over priced .. 6000 would be my limit for this car but that's my view ..

Yea i agree the car is a little on the high price but i cant seem to find a standard clean low mileage type r around a 99/00
BenGTTurbo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:21 PM
  #14  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KAOS_JNR View Post
A faulty maf Will cause the A/F mixture to be all over the place and the ECU will pull fueling out and this in a worst case situation melt a piston i have a v6 uk car and when i purchased it the car had a shot maf i purchased a second hand one from one of the guys on here car has been spot on sice i am now fitting a Q45 Maf as this is a better solution and are far more reliable as i have fitted many performance parts i.e turbo,ecu,downpipe and fmic.

i purchased my Q45 from Jap performance parts expensive but imo worth every penny

I agree this car seems high in price but tbh if you like the car go for it mate
that amount of mods replace the ecu mate, much better way to go than mucking aroudn trying to make it more resiliant. (although change it when you next replace it).
Tidgy is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:21 PM
  #15  
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (92)
 
crazyspeedfreakz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo View Post
Yea i agree the car is a little on the high price but i cant seem to find a standard clean low mileage type r around a 99/00

For 8k u could buy a very nice blob STI !! I no its not a classic but a v nice car indeed ..

Also for a 8k u could have a new engine 3-4 k and look for another Type r and replace the engine so u have a spanking new engine ..

That car is worth no more than 6k !
crazyspeedfreakz is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:23 PM
  #16  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BenGTTurbo View Post
Yea i agree the car is a little on the high price but i cant seem to find a standard clean low mileage type r around a 99/00
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2842657.htm

750 cheaper and engine built by dave at api so will be decent.
Tidgy is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:24 PM
  #17  
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (92)
 
crazyspeedfreakz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2842657.htm

750 cheaper and engine built by dave at api so will be decent.

+1 on this much better idea !
crazyspeedfreakz is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:24 PM
  #18  
craigo
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
craigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: surrey/west sussex
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Going simtek and maffless would be my advice. someone else might suggest otherwise or even it will be ok with std maff. give scoobyclinic or another engine tuner a call, they should be able to point you in the right direction. my type R has been in the country little over a year now and is clean as a whistle. these cars makes less in the uk but lots lots more in europe. you will have a car that is hugely admired. good examples are becoming rare rare these days... buy it and love it
craigo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:27 PM
  #19  
Yellow R
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England
Posts: 611
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes you will have to have it mapped to run uk fuel as ecu wont pick it up if you just start filling it with v-power, if that makes sence.

As far as I know you cant map a standard ecu unless you have a daughter board added 2 it.

The reason people are saying get a rebuilt one is possibly because when people rebuild they use stronger internals so will be better of in the long run IF you wanted to boost the car up etc.

As stated above 8k is abit on the high side for that car, As you could get some decent Spec ones for that, Personally 8k for a classic I wouldn't want a standard one, But that's my opinion good luck with the purchase anyway,It is a mint car
Yellow R is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:29 PM
  #20  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by craigo View Post
Going simtek and maffless would be my advice. someone else might suggest otherwise or even it will be ok with std maff. give scoobyclinic or another engine tuner a call, they should be able to point you in the right direction. my type R has been in the country little over a year now and is clean as a whistle. these cars makes less in the uk but lots lots more in europe. you will have a car that is hugely admired. good examples are becoming rare rare these days... buy it and love it

syvecs for the win

although tis a bit budget dependant lol
Tidgy is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:30 PM
  #21  
richiewong
Twatful
 
richiewong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Grew up and don't drive Scoobs anymore!
Posts: 9,050
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

DCCD back end out craziness!
richiewong is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:33 PM
  #22  
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
KAOS_JNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 395
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
that amount of mods replace the ecu mate, much better way to go than mucking aroudn trying to make it more resiliant. (although change it when you next replace it).
I have i forgot to add that i have Power FC
KAOS_JNR is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:34 PM
  #23  
craigo
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
craigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: surrey/west sussex
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

however, i do know of a fantastic low mileage P1 for less cash. some will say rightly so. There are more good examples of the P1 in the uk than there are Type R. me personally, i ll sit on the fence as i love both of them
craigo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:34 PM
  #24  
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (51)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Around
Posts: 12,538
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I wouldn't go simtek, save up a bit more and have sivecs if your going down that road.

Regardless, 8000 for a standard R is far too expensive in the current climate.
MattyB1983 is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:37 PM
  #25  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KAOS_JNR View Post
I have i forgot to add that i have Power FC
tbh i would ditch that as well lol
Tidgy is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:37 PM
  #26  
craigo
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
craigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: surrey/west sussex
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
syvecs for the win

although tis a bit budget dependant lol
sure mate, some price difference though. what is the syvecs these days ?
craigo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:39 PM
  #27  
craigo
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
craigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: surrey/west sussex
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 View Post
I wouldn't go simtek, save up a bit more and have sivecs if your going down that road.

Regardless, 8000 for a standard R is far too expensive in the current climate.
only in the uk matty, not in europe !
craigo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:40 PM
  #28  
craigo
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
craigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: surrey/west sussex
Posts: 3,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by richiewong View Post
DCCD back end out craziness!
craigo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:42 PM
  #29  
BenGTTurbo
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
BenGTTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kent
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2842657.htm

750 cheaper and engine built by dave at api so will be decent.

Yes that does seem alot better for money altho 1.5bar boost might not be very economical lol

I think im gonna give that 1 at sva a miss then and have another look around... I might even give hurst cars a ring and see if i can go veiw this one.

Thanks for all your help
BenGTTurbo is offline  
Old 26 April 2012, 12:43 PM
  #30  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,296
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by craigo View Post
sure mate, some price difference though. what is the syvecs these days ?
Syvecs is prob the best ecu on the general market. Its roughly 1700 fitted and mapped + the dreaded.

http://www.syvecs.co.uk/

Tidgy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sti type R version 6 V limited (2000)


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.