Sponsored by:

LINK users...I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2001, 12:02 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam,

I've got a MY98 euro spec + link, and get good boost control and idling characteristics. Many people over here are using the link with a similar engne spec to you, and don't have the problems you describe - with the right map your boost control should be good with good cold starting and a smooth idle.

It sounds like your running into your MAP limit cutout during when your boost gets to 1.4 bar.

It may be a good idea to get in touch with BR Developements, who are the best mappers around. If you can download your map via the serial link, and get a longish data capture including idle, cruise and WOT driving they should be able to help you get to good base map which will sort out these issues.

See
Old 08 April 2001, 12:11 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, and get knocklink and Lambdalink units installed (if you haven't already) to allow you to watch out for knocking and to keep an eye on the fueling.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 08 April 2001, 12:19 PM
adam99rs
Scooby Regular

Hey guys..hope all is well with everyone there. I haven't posted in awhile, mainly because I have been waiting for my Scooby.

I finally picked it up today, and I am generally pleased with the results. As many know, I swapped in an STi V4 motor done to Group N specs, fully balanced, etc. I also elected to go with the LINK ecu. Here are a couple of questions for those more familar with programming the unit:

1. Boost - I am running a VF22, 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust, exiting to Apex N muffler, no cats. Boost comes up a bit high in the rev range (4,000 or so)..is this about right? Also, when you go on throttle 100% and keep your foot buried, it spools to about 1.3 bar, then hits some sort of "cut"...feels similar to fuel cut, which I have experienced on other cars, but I really have no idea. It seems like the boost "wavers" between about 1 and 1.4 bar....ow do I make it hit that point and stay there? The people who installed and did the initial tuning of the LINK (Rallispec here in the states) are not really familar with the system, played around with it, but couldn't quite get it. I don't mind spending the time to learn the system, having successfully learned and become quite good at programming similar systems (I use an Electromotive TEC2 on another car). Could I be reacing the maximum that the MAS an "read"? We're not sure of the injectors sizing yet, but I did upgrade to fuel pump from a Supra Twin Turbo.

2. Timing wise, what is should a reasonable settings be? I use 94 octane fuel, which is equal to 98 in the UK.

3. Idle - the cold idle fnction isnt working yet, and when warmed up, idle hunts between 1100 and 800...we're not sure yet if this is do to the LINK not being fully set up and programmed correctly or furhter evidence that the cams are not stock STi.

Thanks in advance guys! I want to get these basics down first, then start really playing with all the LINK features.
Old 09 April 2001, 03:27 PM
adam99rs
Scooby Regular

The tuning begines today....wish me luck!
Old 12 April 2001, 01:19 AM
adam99rs
Scooby Regular

Got the overboosting sorted out today....was easy to do. The idle is another issue...got the oscillations down to 50 rpm (idle when war varies between 900 and 95- rpm)..not bad, but not yet perfect. However, as the car is being sold, I don't think I will play with it anymore. But, the 8000 rpm rev limiter is sure nice...much better than the 6250 that my EJ25 had!