ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Creaky squeeky front left

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2012, 09:47 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Creaky squeeky front left

Got a small issue on my bug sti at the moment, wondering if anyone can point in the right direction of what it could be. There's an intermittent creaking from somewhere around the front passenger wheel/suspension area.

I first noticed it a few months back and mentioned it to my mechanic who checked the suspension but seemed to think it was all pretty tight (although I think it was only a very quick visual check, not sure...as i left the car with him). It's got progressively worse, did a track day a few weeks ago and definitely seemed to aggravate it.

The noise I am getting is best described as a creaking sound and is most evident when cornering sharply and slowly. (even at a crawl) - its like something metallic is being strained. Can also hear it sometimes when traveling in a straight line too (not as often/reliably), but then its a different sound - more of a squeak

Recently changed the wheels, the noise was there before they were changed. Wheel nuts were changed at the same time, so that's one possibility ruled out. I don't think anything has gotten worse with the ride/handling....it certainly felt nice and tight when I did the track day last month.

Anyone got any idea what it could be / know anything relatively simple I can do to try and rule things out? Don't want to go to a load of expense just to chase down a noise if possible!

Suspension is all totally standard btw.

Cheers
Old 05 April 2012, 03:53 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try greasing the arb bushes - they sometimes creak and groan as they get older
Old 05 April 2012, 04:59 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion will get that done and see if it helps
Old 05 April 2012, 07:45 PM
UglyGreenBug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same creak / squeak on mine, an 02 plated Bug. Drives me nuts!

Its only come about after taking the undertray off as it won't clear the headers, so I dont know if its the same with yours. Tried lubing all the joints I could see and it still squeaked?

Anyway, it went away with the rain the other day, back today now its dried out a bit.

Cut a long waffle short, soaked the lower engine mounts with WD40 and its shut up again now

Know what you mean though, its really annoying
Old 05 April 2012, 09:15 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Not that confident with a spanner, so to be honest I've not really poked around much underneath myself. Know a local mechanic well so I have tended to leave everything to him - has probably made me a bit lazy so trying to learn a bit more for myself now!..... he must be sick of the sight of me since I got the Impreza as I'm always asking him to replace/check/upgrade things!

Will let you know if I get to the bottom of what is causing it! Will get a good check done of front arb, bushes, droplinks etc.....also might be a good excuse for a few uprated bits at the same time
Old 06 April 2012, 09:42 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

check the driveshaft nut isn't loose could be the wheel bearing is on the way out if it is the driveshaft nut works loose, some times when they are bad the bit you dent in on the nut comes out of the groove on the driveshaft.
Old 06 April 2012, 08:19 PM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UglyGreenBug
I have the same creak / squeak on mine, an 02 plated Bug. Drives me nuts!

Its only come about after taking the undertray off as it won't clear the headers, so I dont know if its the same with yours. Tried lubing all the joints I could see and it still squeaked?

Anyway, it went away with the rain the other day, back today now its dried out a bit.

Cut a long waffle short, soaked the lower engine mounts with WD40 and its shut up again now

Know what you mean though, its really annoying
I have the same squeek and my under tray came off yesterday.

Any ideas?
Old 07 April 2012, 09:19 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Try greasing the arb bushes as i mentioned above - they dry out over time and creaak graon when like that - a bit of rain can quiet them down for a short while but best is lube and or replace bushes - not hard.
Old 18 April 2012, 12:15 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Got it looked at yesterday. Seems that it is actually the wheel bearing that is knackered...the bushes are fine. Sometimes the noise isn't apparent until the car has been driven for a mile or two so makes a bit of sense I suppose.

Getting it replaced, so touch wood that will shut it up!
Old 18 April 2012, 06:53 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

also make sure they check the flange that presses in to the centre of the bearing they are known for wearing when the bearing goes
Old 19 April 2012, 09:17 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I had the same on my old MY05 STI
Garage greased up something around the suspension and bushes which cured it.