ECU reset

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 10:14 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all

I hear lots of talk about resetting the ECU on a UK turbo makes a big difference if going from standard unleaded to SUL.

My MY00 runs at the moment on standard unleaded but considering the small price difference of SUL these days I'm going to start running her on SUL.

So my question is do I need to reset the ECU, or should the MY00's ECU work it out for itself? If so how long should this take?

If I need to reset it whats the best way? Disconnecting the battery or using the plugs under the steering column? Could I damage the ECU by doing this?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Neil
Old 10 April 2001, 10:18 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

IMO disconnect the battery for a couple of hours. Done it a couple of times with my WRX and Seeeeeeeeeems to work. Easier to do and less to **** up than the other method. Seem to get more boost when the ECU first learns it's settings anyway.....

Cheers

Nick

P.S It may be the brain of the Car, but being a car, I think that they are fairly robust!
Old 10 April 2001, 10:41 PM
sparkplug
Scooby Regular

MOST SOFTWARE IN THE E.C.U. IS UNAFECTED
BY A POWER DOWN SO DONT EXPECT IT TO DO
MIRICALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best advice is check with your local
subaru dealer

tony.
Old 10 April 2001, 11:17 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Wink

The ECU will learn given time (couple of tanks) without the need for a reset, SUL is the cheapest performance mod you can do IMHO and doesn't affect your insurance

andy
Old 11 April 2001, 11:46 AM
Mkhan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you are going to reset your ECU do it the right way (not by disconnecting the battery cowboy stylee)

With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off.

Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side.
NOTE: sometimes they are still taped over with some small amount of plastic tape, so look hard, they will be there!
With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.
Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release.
Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.
ECU is now re-set.
At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.
Once, stop the car and turn off the engine.
Disconnect the plugs.
Job complete

This how I have done it and the car runs much better...........

Mark