Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru UK Range - who decides ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2002, 02:41 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think IM can import non-EU spec cars if they want, but FHI won't be responsible for homologation.
I guess FHI has a list of available cars & spec mix, together with colours & equipment, & the importers pick & mix the different things as they like. For example, the AUS spec WRX is the same as EU spec, but they have a JDM spec gearbox. An auto is also available there.
I think FHI has a very wide range of colours available for all the cars in their lineup, the importers decide on which ones to offer in their home market.
What is the arragement with Suzuki with regards to the Justy? Cos it's a rebadged Suzuki Swift that's made in Hungary. Is that arranged by FHI or by individual countries. Anyway, the Justy/Swift is an European anomoly as that car was replaced long ago in Japan & the Justy ceased to exist in Japan since the early 90's.

[Edited by clarence - 5/4/2002 3:44:21 AM]
Old 03 May 2002, 02:21 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I guess that the importer's USP is to maximise profits, but I thought that the range would get more exciting after the import quotas ended?

So, why still the Justy, the Outback H6 in auto & two tone paint only (ok they do a white one), and no Turbo Legacies or more powerful Impreza GX / Sports (160bhp)?

Am I in the wrong job or do they know something about profit margins that I don't ?
Old 03 May 2002, 02:27 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Probably just silly EC emissions and type approval legislation...
Old 03 May 2002, 02:42 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think that IM decide (say no more ) and I have also heard that to increase their market share would involve an order of magnitude more paperwork/laws to obey and IM don't want to move into this slightly "larger" market share.

I know it's a wooley response but hopefully, someone can turn my vauge recollection into a statement of fact (from a position of knowledge)

Matt
Old 03 May 2002, 07:08 PM
JaMa
Scooby Newbie

Not sure I would complain about the Subaru lineup in the UK - here in the US we get a rather pathetic WRX and no STi stuff at all. At least you over there can get 2 varieties of the STi, one even done up by Prodrive.

Consider yourself lucky, even if there are Justy's sitting next to the Prodrive STi's on the dealer's lot.

Cheers

JaMa
Old 03 May 2002, 09:03 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

IM decide what and how many. Their MD visits Japan once a year for a meeting to decide numbers / spec / etc.

Type approval and EU emissions come into it for sure.

Another interesting point is that IM have been known to bring in non UK spec cars for evaluation.

David

Ps - all the above is IMHO
Old 04 May 2002, 09:05 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Having had one as a loan car yesterday, I've got words other than "anomaly" that best describe it ! Better ride than my car, err and that's about it .

Trending Topics

Old 04 May 2002, 02:20 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was hoping we were going to get the Vivio and then the Pleo (Plio?) but it seems not to be (for the wife of course )

Oh well, we've got our eye on a Leon Turbo or Gold PD150 now instead....

Matt