middle lane hoggers

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2012, 12:05 PM
chaps1536
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default middle lane hoggers

Hi all,

It really annoys me when you are on the motorway and some **** is just sat in the middle lane, and refuses to move to the left hand lane even if its clear.
I personally think its dangerous to overtake over 3 lanes, but its just as dangerous to undertake.
I was just wondering what other peoples views on this were?
Would you overtake, undertake or sit with full beam on?

cheers chappy.
Old 20 March 2012, 12:18 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

This winds me up too; there's only one lane for normal driving on the motorway, which is the left most one. The other two are for overtaking only, but some muppets don't know / don't care and use the middle lane for dawdling along in. Its worrying because if they are that lazy about changing lanes they probably don't pay attention to the road either. If there is a spare lane to their right then I'll just use that to overtake them, then they can annoy someone else and I no longer care

It's hard to get them to move, especially if they simply aren't aware of anything around them (as is so often the case with these muppets), so the approach is key - you need to make them aware of you, so approach quickly but check your speed to match theirs before you get too close. This causes a natural reaction to check behind them as the view from the rear view mirror changes rapidly as you approach, which is sometimes enough to catch their eye. If the don't pull over at this point (I'll wait a bit to be polite) then indicate left and move over to the empty left lane, and pace them for a bit. They should get the hint and pull over. If not, turn on headlights (still in lane 1) and wait a bit longer. If they are still there and lane 1 is clear, then **** em - undertake, as you can be fairly sure they aren't moving out of lane 2 any time soon - just do it briskly to avoid being in their blind spot any longer than you have to
Old 20 March 2012, 12:21 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hog the middle lane 90% of the time and don't even realise it.
Old 20 March 2012, 12:28 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do around 60 miles a day on the M1 and see these ******* all the time - Taxi drivers are one of the biggest abusers!
Very annoying it is when there is practically no traffic but i can get over it - the ones that **** me right off are the ones who sit there when there is nothing in the left lane while there are a number of cars trying to overtake. I often find my self on the horn and main beam until they move
Old 20 March 2012, 01:02 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I was coming home after working late,about 3am.
Came to join the M25 and there was not a single car to be seen on the motor way,ahead or behind.
The only other car I saw was joining the motorway at the next junction a long way ahead & proceeded to pull out & sit in the middle lane.
I guess it's just hard-wired in some people.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:04 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

pet hate of mine as well! Normally straight up behind them main beams on then over take and cut back in earlier than I would normally, with the middle finger up.....
Old 20 March 2012, 01:08 PM
chaps1536
Scooby Regular

It should be more like germany where slower drivers move out the way. I think this makes there motorways run so much smoother and safer. In 1 week in england driving on the motorways, i saw more accidents than i have done in Germany over 3and a half years.

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2012, 01:11 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I overtake then go back across all three lanes to the inside in the hopes they would notice and do the same. 50% of the time they do, the rest must be oblivious!

Don't ever undertake, its illegal and would make you as bad as them imo.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:14 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

One of the worst journeys I had to endure was to a work meeting, with a woman who had never driven on a motorway and who had been told by her husband to do 70mph and stay in the middle lane. This was on the M25 and for around 40 miles I sat as lorries rode the rear bumper and cars cut her up as she drove on oblivious to it all with her nose pressed against the windscreen. Not bloody funny at all.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:14 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I only wish I could ram the ****ers out of the way.......

I must admit I do occasionally undertake but only after giving them a chance to pull over, if I don't have time, then I just lane 3 and cut in sharply in front of them to lane 1

I used to have a Sierra Sapphire many moons ago that had Mk1 Sierra Cosworth suspension on it. My Lord did that tramline for England! on some roads I physically couldn't drive in lane 1 as I couldn't hang on it was that bad.

Long time ago though........I did put Sapphire Cossie uprights on in the end and that made it a lot better.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:20 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont get mad, have some fun. This is what you do :

Approach said middle lane hogger. Pass them in the outside lane, cut back into inside lane. Slow down, let them pass, back out into the outside lane and repeat. This is called ' doing a lap'

My record is 7 but I have known people manage a lot more depending on the length of the motorway and how stupid the middle lane hoggers are
Old 20 March 2012, 01:32 PM
Sellybob
Scooby Regular

Chaps1536 makes a very good point. In Germany they do a much better job with only two lanes in many places. There is also an unwritten rule that those with headlights and their left indicator on are giving it some and others simply get out of the way. I suppose the fact that the car with it's indicator on could be about to hit you at 200+ helps
Old 20 March 2012, 01:46 PM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony

Approach said middle lane hogger. Pass them in the outside lane, cut back into inside lane. Slow down, let them pass, back out into the outside lane and repeat. This is called ' doing a lap'

My record is 7 but I have known people manage a lot more depending on the length of the motorway and how stupid the middle lane hoggers are
This is excellent. Lap record leader board? Name and shame the hoggers. I'm going to do some laps next time I'm out.

Better that my usual flash o the headlights.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:50 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daphne01
This is excellent. Lap record leader board? Name and shame the hoggers. I'm going to do some laps next time I'm out.

Better that my usual flash o the headlights.
It is very difficult to even achieve 7 though in the spirit of the Olympics, I think some form of 'leaderboard' could be established. Problem is how you make sure people are not doing a 'Ben Johnson'
Old 20 March 2012, 01:54 PM
Graeme_Curley_STI
Scooby Regular

too funny!! I'm defo goin to try this, we shall all post up our laps!
Old 20 March 2012, 01:58 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

WATPMSFL

I will try next time I come across a middle lane hog..... sucker
Old 20 March 2012, 02:07 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

you could add sitting in the outside lane of a duel carriageway as they are turning right at the roundabout that's more than 3 miles up the road, this means they have to sit in that lane at 57mph :|

drives me mad on a daily bases
Old 20 March 2012, 02:09 PM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Genius idea.
Old 20 March 2012, 02:14 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Middle lane hogger lapping is fun! Although my record only stands at 3, the look on thier faces when they realise whats happening is class, Sometime they go bright red too!
Old 20 March 2012, 02:17 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

We defo need a lap leader board
Old 20 March 2012, 02:18 PM
Graeme_Curley_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginola
you could add sitting in the outside lane of a duel carriageway as they are turning right at the roundabout that's more than 3 miles up the road, this means they have to sit in that lane at 57mph :|

drives me mad on a daily bases
+1
I drive a stretch of road almost daily and it happens every ******* time!!
Old 20 March 2012, 02:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are sitting on the inside lane and you pass them its not undertaking, undertaking is where you deliberately move into the inside lane then move back over once you have overtaken.

I have passed police cars before when I have sat in the inside lane as you are doing nothing wrong.
Old 20 March 2012, 02:28 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
If you are sitting on the inside lane and you pass them its not undertaking, undertaking is where you deliberately move into the inside lane then move back over once you have overtaken.

I have passed police cars before when I have sat in the inside lane as you are doing nothing wrong.
Even over the Blaydon Bridge ?
Old 20 March 2012, 03:12 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

These ******* really get my goat too! .... its made even worse now that my daily runabout wont do more than 80 and it takes a fair bit of pursuasion to get up there! So once on the motorway and up to speed, any deek that makes me drop to 50 gets a fair bit of abuse!

The cutting from lane 3 to 1 in front of them feels good, and youd think that theyd understand, but i honestly think they dont get it!

Doing laps is the only way, but with a chunky turbo, its suprising how much fuel these ******* make you use!

Much respect to your 7 swisstony, ive only ever managed 5!
Old 20 March 2012, 03:26 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Middle Lane Lapping is sounding like an awesome idea!! Definitely need a leader board and the ability to add photos of the cars! Bonus points for "lapping" a car thats already been on the leader board.
Old 20 March 2012, 03:39 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Good shout ^

I can remember the car i got 5 on .... it was a silver golf .... only reason i remember it is because it was KN03 *** .... thought at the time it was quite fitting!
Old 20 March 2012, 05:08 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

I read last year in one of the broadsheets that a court case back in the 1960s determined that a motorway is classed as a one way street and therefore it's legal to overtake on either side. I don't think I'd fancy going to court now to prove it though.
Old 20 March 2012, 05:45 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

That's my drive home entertainment sorted tonight.
Old 20 March 2012, 05:48 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Middle lane hogger lapping by subaru's will be on the news shortly, latest motorway craze
Old 20 March 2012, 05:51 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
That's my drive home entertainment sorted tonight.
Originally Posted by bish667
Middle lane hogger lapping by subaru's will be on the news shortly, latest motorway craze
Glad it will provide you with some fun on the way home.
Please note * MLH Lapping © is copyrighted
I thank you

Quick Reply: middle lane hoggers