ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   middle lane hoggers (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/929490-middle-lane-hoggers.html)

chaps1536 20 March 2012 12:05 PM

middle lane hoggers

Hi all,

It really annoys me when you are on the motorway and some arse is just sat in the middle lane, and refuses to move to the left hand lane even if its clear.
I personally think its dangerous to overtake over 3 lanes, but its just as dangerous to undertake.
I was just wondering what other peoples views on this were?
Would you overtake, undertake or sit with full beam on?

cheers chappy.

scooby546 20 March 2012 12:18 PM

This winds me up too; there's only one lane for normal driving on the motorway, which is the left most one. The other two are for overtaking only, but some muppets don't know / don't care and use the middle lane for dawdling along in. Its worrying because if they are that lazy about changing lanes they probably don't pay attention to the road either. If there is a spare lane to their right then I'll just use that to overtake them, then they can annoy someone else and I no longer care :)

It's hard to get them to move, especially if they simply aren't aware of anything around them (as is so often the case with these muppets), so the approach is key - you need to make them aware of you, so approach quickly but check your speed to match theirs before you get too close. This causes a natural reaction to check behind them as the view from the rear view mirror changes rapidly as you approach, which is sometimes enough to catch their eye. If the don't pull over at this point (I'll wait a bit to be polite) then indicate left and move over to the empty left lane, and pace them for a bit. They should get the hint and pull over. If not, turn on headlights (still in lane 1) and wait a bit longer. If they are still there and lane 1 is clear, then feck em - undertake, as you can be fairly sure they aren't moving out of lane 2 any time soon - just do it briskly to avoid being in their blind spot any longer than you have to :thumb:

L.J.F 20 March 2012 12:21 PM

I hog the middle lane 90% of the time and don't even realise it.

Brun 20 March 2012 12:28 PM

I do around 60 miles a day on the M1 and see these wankers all the time - Taxi drivers are one of the biggest abusers!
Very annoying it is when there is practically no traffic but i can get over it - the ones that **** me right off are the ones who sit there when there is nothing in the left lane while there are a number of cars trying to overtake. I often find my self on the horn and main beam until they move :D

legb4rsk 20 March 2012 01:02 PM

I was coming home after working late,about 3am.
Came to join the M25 and there was not a single car to be seen on the motor way,ahead or behind.
The only other car I saw was joining the motorway at the next junction a long way ahead & proceeded to pull out & sit in the middle lane.
I guess it's just hard-wired in some people.

grahamc 20 March 2012 01:04 PM

pet hate of mine as well! Normally straight up behind them main beams on then over take and cut back in earlier than I would normally, with the middle finger up.....

chaps1536 20 March 2012 01:08 PM

It should be more like germany where slower drivers move out the way. I think this makes there motorways run so much smoother and safer. In 1 week in england driving on the motorways, i saw more accidents than i have done in Germany over 3and a half years.

BLU 20 March 2012 01:11 PM

I overtake then go back across all three lanes to the inside in the hopes they would notice and do the same. 50% of the time they do, the rest must be oblivious!

Don't ever undertake, its illegal and would make you as bad as them imo.

deepy 20 March 2012 01:14 PM

One of the worst journeys I had to endure was to a work meeting, with a woman who had never driven on a motorway and who had been told by her husband to do 70mph and stay in the middle lane. This was on the M25 and for around 40 miles I sat as lorries rode the rear bumper and cars cut her up as she drove on oblivious to it all with her nose pressed against the windscreen. Not bloody funny at all.

Markyscoob 20 March 2012 01:14 PM

I only wish I could ram the ****ers out of the way.......

I must admit I do occasionally undertake but only after giving them a chance to pull over, if I don't have time, then I just lane 3 and cut in sharply in front of them to lane 1

I used to have a Sierra Sapphire many moons ago that had Mk1 Sierra Cosworth suspension on it. My Lord did that tramline for England! on some roads I physically couldn't drive in lane 1 as I couldn't hang on it was that bad.

Long time ago though........I did put Sapphire Cossie uprights on in the end and that made it a lot better.

SwissTony 20 March 2012 01:20 PM

Dont get mad, have some fun. This is what you do :

Approach said middle lane hogger. Pass them in the outside lane, cut back into inside lane. Slow down, let them pass, back out into the outside lane and repeat. This is called ' doing a lap'

My record is 7 but I have known people manage a lot more depending on the length of the motorway and how stupid the middle lane hoggers are :D

Sellybob 20 March 2012 01:32 PM

Chaps1536 makes a very good point. In Germany they do a much better job with only two lanes in many places. There is also an unwritten rule that those with headlights and their left indicator on are giving it some and others simply get out of the way. I suppose the fact that the car with it's indicator on could be about to hit you at 200+ helps ;)

Daphne01 20 March 2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 10542637)

Approach said middle lane hogger. Pass them in the outside lane, cut back into inside lane. Slow down, let them pass, back out into the outside lane and repeat. This is called ' doing a lap'

My record is 7 but I have known people manage a lot more depending on the length of the motorway and how stupid the middle lane hoggers are :D

This is excellent. Lap record leader board? Name and shame the hoggers. I'm going to do some laps next time I'm out.

Better that my usual flash o the headlights.

SwissTony 20 March 2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Daphne01 (Post 10542661)
This is excellent. Lap record leader board? Name and shame the hoggers. I'm going to do some laps next time I'm out.

Better that my usual flash o the headlights.

It is very difficult to even achieve 7 though in the spirit of the Olympics, I think some form of 'leaderboard' could be established. Problem is how you make sure people are not doing a 'Ben Johnson' :)

Graeme_Curley_STI 20 March 2012 01:54 PM

:lol: too funny!! I'm defo goin to try this, we shall all post up our laps! :D

BLU 20 March 2012 01:58 PM

WATPMSFL :lol:

I will try next time I come across a middle lane hog..... sucker
:lol1:

Ginola 20 March 2012 02:07 PM

you could add sitting in the outside lane of a duel carriageway as they are turning right at the roundabout that's more than 3 miles up the road, this means they have to sit in that lane at 57mph :|

drives me mad on a daily bases

Doobs Scoob 20 March 2012 02:09 PM

Genius idea.

Bicco 20 March 2012 02:14 PM

Middle lane hogger lapping is fun! Although my record only stands at 3, the look on thier faces when they realise whats happening is class, Sometime they go bright red too! :)

Blue by You 20 March 2012 02:17 PM

:lol:
We defo need a lap leader board :D

Graeme_Curley_STI 20 March 2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 10542702)
you could add sitting in the outside lane of a duel carriageway as they are turning right at the roundabout that's more than 3 miles up the road, this means they have to sit in that lane at 57mph :|

drives me mad on a daily bases

+1
I drive a stretch of road almost daily and it happens every fcuking time!! :brickwall

stevebt 20 March 2012 02:18 PM

If you are sitting on the inside lane and you pass them its not undertaking, undertaking is where you deliberately move into the inside lane then move back over once you have overtaken.

I have passed police cars before when I have sat in the inside lane as you are doing nothing wrong.

SwissTony 20 March 2012 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10542725)
If you are sitting on the inside lane and you pass them its not undertaking, undertaking is where you deliberately move into the inside lane then move back over once you have overtaken.

I have passed police cars before when I have sat in the inside lane as you are doing nothing wrong.

Even over the Blaydon Bridge ? :)

legacy_gtb 20 March 2012 03:12 PM

These feckers really get my goat too! .... its made even worse now that my daily runabout wont do more than 80 and it takes a fair bit of pursuasion to get up there! So once on the motorway and up to speed, any deek that makes me drop to 50 gets a fair bit of abuse!

The cutting from lane 3 to 1 in front of them feels good, and youd think that theyd understand, but i honestly think they dont get it!

Doing laps is the only way, but with a chunky turbo, its suprising how much fuel these feckers make you use!

Much respect to your 7 swisstony, ive only ever managed 5!

grahamc 20 March 2012 03:26 PM

Middle Lane Lapping is sounding like an awesome idea!! Definitely need a leader board and the ability to add photos of the cars! Bonus points for "lapping" a car thats already been on the leader board.

legacy_gtb 20 March 2012 03:39 PM

Good shout ^

I can remember the car i got 5 on .... it was a silver golf .... only reason i remember it is because it was KN03 *** .... thought at the time it was quite fitting!

Osimabu 20 March 2012 05:08 PM

I read last year in one of the broadsheets that a court case back in the 1960s determined that a motorway is classed as a one way street and therefore it's legal to overtake on either side. I don't think I'd fancy going to court now to prove it though.

cookstar 20 March 2012 05:45 PM

:notworthy:notworthy That's my drive home entertainment sorted tonight. :notworthy:notworthy

bish667 20 March 2012 05:48 PM

Middle lane hogger lapping by subaru's will be on the news shortly, latest motorway craze :lol1:

SwissTony 20 March 2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 10542969)
:notworthy:notworthy That's my drive home entertainment sorted tonight. :notworthy:notworthy

Originally Posted by bish667 (Post 10542973)
Middle lane hogger lapping by subaru's will be on the news shortly, latest motorway craze :lol1:

Glad it will provide you with some fun on the way home.
Please note * MLH Lapping © is copyrighted
I thank you :D