Sponsored by:

LLandow Circuit last Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2012, 05:04 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LLandow Circuit last Saturday

Few pics from Llandow last weekend. Finally got around to taking my Sti for its first track outing

Was great fun to properly feel its limits as it's rare you can safely get anywhere near them on the road. The car was great and took it all in its stride, only real problem I had was that midway through the morning I started getting ridiculous amounts of understeer through the tight technical section. Realised at Lunch that I hadn't let enough air out of my tyres and the front left had become over-inflated. Handling was much much better after dropping the psi a bit more.

Couple of other Impreza's there on the day. Also members on here I believe, good to meet you chaps

Was a few other interesting cars there including a supercharged Atom.

Old 18 March 2012, 05:21 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to meet you too. Nice pics mate, it was a good day. Really fun little circuit wasn't it?
Some more pics of the day:

Last edited by DonNedly; 18 March 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 18 March 2012, 05:24 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Couple of videos i did too:
(ignore the dials they didn't work properly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLnZIPTV2Z0

and one that ends with me blowing an intercooler hose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2iTR...eature=related

Last edited by DonNedly; 18 March 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 18 March 2012, 05:32 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Yeah really enjoyed it mate, felt myself improving and getting much quicker in the afternoon once I had got used to the track and built my confidence a bit. Got loads of track time, good value I thought. Will probably go back there sometime, but I do now really fancy also doing one of the bigger tracks sometime later this year

Did you get to the slight problem you picked up in the afternoon? I pretty much destroyed my front left tyre lol, but think the incorrect pressure must have contributed to that
Old 18 March 2012, 05:32 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

ah blown Intercooler hose. Glad it was nothing too serious!
Old 18 March 2012, 07:03 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Llandow is very hard on the front left tyre on an impreza. It's also pretty hard on the brakes when approaching the 'Bus Stop' at the end of the home straight. 100mph down to 30mph. I'm hoping to go there on the track day at the beginning of April, and as you say the understeer in the bus stop tight turns gets worse as the day goes on. I'll definatley be checking tyre pressure as i will have a new set of R888's and want them to last!
I only get to use 3rd,4th and 5th in my Spec C. It's a small track but great value for money. Especially if you know the land owner
Old 18 March 2012, 10:37 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Nice videos, I tried to take a few using my flip HD but they didn't come out quite as well as that.

Yeah the bus stop is certainly pretty tough on the front left, tyres squeal like pigs all the way through there if you push! My brakes seemed to cope pretty well to be fair, although i did try to only go out for no more than 15mins at a time. Car was squirreling about a fair bit under braking at the end of the home straight - like you say, you do have to scrub off quite a chunk of speed

Trending Topics

Old 19 March 2012, 12:08 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amv#01
Yeah really enjoyed it mate, felt myself improving and getting much quicker in the afternoon once I had got used to the track and built my confidence a bit. Got loads of track time, good value I thought. Will probably go back there sometime, but I do now really fancy also doing one of the bigger tracks sometime later this year

Did you get to the slight problem you picked up in the afternoon? I pretty much destroyed my front left tyre lol, but think the incorrect pressure must have contributed to that
Yeah i blew an intercooler hose at the end of the day so no big deal but it did take me a while to find it as it was the most awkward hose to go. My brakes aren't really up to the job now i'm over 350bhp so i didn't have much confidence approaching bus stop but my Hankooks let me push hard out of the corners. Glad i swapped them around half way through as the lefts got punished.

I bet you have caught the bug for it now and can't wait to do another
I'll probably be going to abingdon in May and doing Castle combe in August and hopefully back to llandow at the end of the year.
Old 19 March 2012, 01:14 AM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Yeah, definitely up for some more! Got the expensive prospect of insurance renewal next month and new road tyres so won't be happening for a little while yet. Hmm, maybe I will join you at Castle Coombe in the summer, we shall see
Old 19 March 2012, 06:57 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a set of track wheels/tyres, mate. It will transform your track day experience.
Old 19 March 2012, 07:55 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

I've got a set of part worn Hankook RS2 track tyres in my garage taking up badly needed space, if anyone is interested?
Old 19 March 2012, 08:16 PM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

Hello guys.

Nice to meet you amv, great day out. The more I think about it the more I enjoyed the day, a little circuit but huge amounts of fun. Hard to stick to the 10 min I was allowing but it was so easy to get in and have a breather, let the car cool down and then no queue to get back on.

Everybody was extremely friendly as well, from the other drivers to the nice marshals.

Like I said nedz, I'll have to wait until we get this house thing sorted or the Mrs will have my ***** but I am keen to get back on the track.

Hopefully catch you at another one amv, you coming to japfest in may?

Cheers

John (Daphne was name of my old car to save any confusion, I was the one in the black sti)
Old 19 March 2012, 08:17 PM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
Get yourself a set of track wheels/tyres, mate. It will transform your track day experience.
for sure, we must be close on power but you were all over me (and we can only blame so much on my driving)
Old 21 March 2012, 12:31 AM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Hi John was nice to meet you also mate. Wish I could change my crappy username, I'm Andy by the way! Not sure about Japfest, may go along if I can but prob wouldn't bother with track time. Also thinking about going to Rally day at castle coombe in the summer as have heard from a mate that its a good day out.

Yeah I have actually already bought another set of wheels, some 18s for the road (keeping my sti wheels for track). But the chap I bought them off told a few porkies about the tyres on them (not worth the time/cost of chasing it up) and also as the alloys are probably worth about what i paid anyway - I am in the process of getting some new rubber on them.

Be much nicer to go out on track and not have to worry about trashing road tyres or getting pulled over on the way home!

apac - I would maybe be tempted if u still have them in a couple of months. (my track tyres still have a little bit of life in them though and I'm already getting moaned at for filling garage up with car parts, no way I can get away with any more in there!)
Old 21 March 2012, 09:54 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Yeah i hope to go to Rally Day and i'm going to spring performance action day at combe next month.
I can't vouch for the road legal hankooks but my Hankook moulded slicks are flipping excellent, highly recommended.
Some more pics i took:

Old 22 March 2012, 08:21 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

I'm planning on going to the 7th of April Llandow track day, if anyone is tempted?

Rgds
Andrew
Old 23 March 2012, 08:18 AM
Daphne01
Scooby Regular

can't make that one mate but great day out, great price. I will be going back. Get pics up when its done.