ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog-Stupid Ignorant Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2012, 10:47 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Fog-Stupid Ignorant Drivers

Headlights and any other lighting is for the benefit of other road users so they're able to see you.

I have seen at least a dozen vehicles this morning driving without any lights on at all and hundred with just sidelights. They appear out of the fog light magic, where as vehicles fully lit appear gradually from the fog. Just because you can see 100 foot
Old 15 March 2012, 11:31 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It always amazes me how bad weather brings out the morons. Its worth noting though that fog lights should not be used unless visibility is reduced to below 100 metres.
Old 15 March 2012, 12:08 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

flashed a guy this morning with no lights on in a silver car so it appeared from nowhere he looked at me as if i was mental fooking eejit
Old 15 March 2012, 12:37 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Its the ***** that leave their rear fogs on in traffic that get my goat!
Old 15 March 2012, 01:50 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Agree with all of the above
Old 15 March 2012, 02:02 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

One of many of my gripes with people on the road....

"mate- get your ******* lights on, have you not noticed the fog/fading light!"

"I don't need to- I can see where I am going"

"yeah but no other **** can see YOU, moron!"
Old 15 March 2012, 02:15 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
flashed a guy this morning with no lights on in a silver car so it appeared from nowhere he looked at me as if i was mental fooking eejit
If I flashed everyone I saw without lights on I'd blow a bulb per day!

The best people are the ones who drive with no lights in thick fog travelling at 80+ on the motorway. Death wish!

What I'd like to do is pull out on the *******.

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2012, 02:53 PM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Here here! I lost count of how many nitwits I (just about) saw on the roads this morning without lights on at all!

Especially so down the country roads where fog always tends to be thicker!
Old 15 March 2012, 04:37 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would that no be the same as all these with retro HIDs in and beam pattern all over the place.
thats just as bad
Old 15 March 2012, 04:46 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet they the same people who drive around with the fog lights on when its not foggy
Old 15 March 2012, 05:47 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Also, these new-fangled 'automatic' light switches. Guy at work doesn't think about lights any more as they "come on 'automatically' when required". How good are they at detecting fog rather than gloom?
Old 15 March 2012, 06:02 PM
greylag
Scooby Regular

On the subject of lights and there use, as anyone else noticed the trend of using your sidelights and/or headlights when it is broad daylight.Some sort of mass hysteria when one driver starts then another must think "well he's got them so i will put mine on".Dull or overcast weather brings it on,plus the misjudgement of dusk.Wazzocks!
Old 15 March 2012, 06:51 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we are on winter time hours I think there should be 24hr lights on no matter what.

Anyone who does not comply gets a £10,000 fine and their car crushed,that should sort out that problem.
Old 15 March 2012, 07:06 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedking
Also, these new-fangled 'automatic' light switches. Guy at work doesn't think about lights any more as they "come on 'automatically' when required". How good are they at detecting fog rather than gloom?
I think it's a bit of nanny state, dumbing down, sheeple, common sense failing sort of mentality overtaking the nation (except us snetters of course )

But yes, flashing them gets rabbit eyes... pointless
Old 16 March 2012, 02:47 PM
BLACK TURBO
Scooby Regular

I was on the m5 yesterday, quite thick fog, and this tit in a silver audi a4 flew up passed me must have been doing 90 no lights on....... I personally think that any one driving in fog without lights on should be charged with dangerous driving, also side lights should be outlawed they are a waste of time, people put them on then forget to upgrade to dipped when it gets darker.......*****
Old 16 March 2012, 04:42 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLACK TURBO
I was on the m5 yesterday, quite thick fog, and this tit in a silver audi a4 flew up passed me must have been doing 90 no lights on....... I personally think that any one driving in fog without lights on should be charged with dangerous driving, also side lights should be outlawed they are a waste of time, people put them on then forget to upgrade to dipped when it gets darker.......*****
Cars used to be fitted with a dim-dip relay whereby you could leave your 'parking' lights on but when you turned the ignition on your main lights came on. Was a good idea, I don't know what happened to that?
Old 16 March 2012, 07:04 PM
chaps1536
Scooby Regular

i have my lights on all the time, its just force of habbit from driving in military vehicles . i cant c why it would annoy people though.
Old 17 March 2012, 11:38 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greylag
On the subject of lights and there use, as anyone else noticed the trend of using your sidelights and/or headlights when it is broad daylight.Some sort of mass hysteria when one driver starts then another must think "well he's got them so i will put mine on".Dull or overcast weather brings it on,plus the misjudgement of dusk.Wazzocks!
at least that doesn't put anyone in danger, i'd take that any day over the idiots who don't use their lights properly/at all.
Old 17 March 2012, 07:36 PM
greylag
Scooby Regular

Well yes,when you look at it in that way,I suppose Volvo started it off in the 70s with the constant sidelights on the 140s and 240s.
Old 18 March 2012, 01:45 PM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Over here (and in several other countries) it is actually mandatory to have the headlights on at all time when driving, it has been like this for something like 15 years and I think it's one of the best rules introduced. Takes the subjective assessment of light levels out of the equation and is genuinely safer both for drivers and pedestrians.
Old 18 March 2012, 02:23 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

i wouldn't say these new "running lights" are safer!! so bright you cant see **** all else..............
Old 18 March 2012, 06:49 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Always driven with my headlights on, hangover from biking days. Am sure it has saved my bacon several times at T junctions when people have started to pull out, then slammed on the anchors when they saw my lights. Can't see a problem with everyone having their lights on all the time. Thought all new cars were being fitted with DRL's anyway....

Old 18 March 2012, 08:06 PM
w3lshboyo
Scooby Regular

I went out last night to pick the girlfriends brother up from town an 2 old people in a car with no lights on pulled up next to them an said mate you havnt got your lights on an his response was yeah I no the street light lighting up the road perfect for me to see so don't need them on was shocking shouldn't be driving
Old 19 March 2012, 01:39 AM
biggi
Scooby Regular

my Mrs has a fiat 500 the side light stay on all the time, I referred to the handbook and they r called daylight s, pmsl honest I could not believe it, anyway I spoke to fiat and the guy see they r getting common now as the law is changing in the foreseeable future that all new cars must have them. My dad has a ds3 and that is the same he has led
Old 19 March 2012, 01:00 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Aside from the general ignorance on the use of foglights, why do people use fog lights in daylight???

Do they think they are better than dipped beam for something?

Come to that, why do people use fog lights other than to pi$$ me off ......
Old 19 March 2012, 01:28 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front fogs miss-use get right on my ****.

What i see almost daily:
Front fogs on with only the side lights - Cool?
Front fogs aswell as the headlights - cool?
Front fogs on because one of the head lights is out - Stupid!

Generally speaking i feel that people use them for vanity - which is highlighted as these people don't switch on the rear fog lights.

I think it would be easy to cut down on fog miss-use:
* One switch for fog lights - the rears come on with the fronts. Lets face it, have you ever been in a situation where the visibility at the front of your car differs from that of the rear?

* When the ignition is switched off, the fog lights are cancelled, ie: they don't automatically come back on when you get back in your car.

Old 19 March 2012, 01:42 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Normally all you hear is people moaning about drivers with fogs on when its not foggy. Can’t say it bothers me unless its dark and I am a) driving behind someone with rear fog on (almost never happens) or b) someone is very close behind me with their front fogs on (normally I stick my rear on to make a point).

But it is amazing how many people run normal lights or no lights at all in heavy fog. Last week or so has been been really bad around here. At one junction I could not see more than 10m I reckon so I had to pull out hoping anyone coming had their fogs on and was driving slowly.

Its just common sense. Some people say you don’t need them on all the time but if its patchy your not going to keep turning them on and off as that’s just another distraction to take your eyes off the road. Unless your in a queue of traffic where cars are close to each other and moving slowly then leave them on.
Old 19 March 2012, 01:45 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chaps1536
i have my lights on all the time, its just force of habbit from driving in military vehicles . i cant c why it would annoy people though.
Gotta agree with this really. Unless someone has full beam then there is no way it can annoy / distract you that much but the benefit is that the chances of other road users seeing you is far greater imho. Especially when your in an area with lots of parked vehicles it is then clearer to see which cars are actually moving or about to move. I always have this argument with my old man who moans at anyone who has their lights on before midnight
Old 19 March 2012, 02:45 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Brun
Front fogs on because one of the head lights is out - Stupid!
This is the only time I would condone the use of foglights when it is not poor visibility. I would rather know the width of an approaching vehicle.

Originally Posted by Brun
I think it would be easy to cut down on fog miss-use:
* One switch for fog lights - the rears come on with the fronts. Lets face it, have you ever been in a situation where the visibility at the front of your car differs from that of the rear?
IMO front fogs are to enable you to see better, rears are so others can see you. If you're on a streetlit motorway you don't need your fronts, but the rears give some extra security.

If leading down a foggy road you might need the fronts, but should turn the rears off if being followed by another vehicle.

Therefore independent controls are part of the solution not part of the problem.

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
... people moaning about drivers with fogs on when its not foggy. Can’t say it bothers me unless its dark and I am a) driving behind someone with rear fog on (almost never happens) ...

Its just common sense. ... Unless your in a queue of traffic where cars are close to each other and moving slowly then leave them on.
Bit of a contradiction there If someone is close enough behind then your rear fogs have no benefit, and by disguising your brake lights can be an additional hazard. Turn them off if in a queue.

Overall I think that better education is necessary to improve the use of foglights.
Old 19 March 2012, 03:00 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Bit of a contradiction there If someone is close enough behind then your rear fogs have no benefit, and by disguising your brake lights can be an additional hazard. Turn them off if in a queue.

Overall I think that better education is necessary to improve the use of foglights.
I am referring to normal driving scenario with no fog. Many people use their front fogs to look cool which doesnt bother me unless they are driving up my chuff. But you dont see it happen with rear fogs (I have but very rare) as the cool factor is not there.

Quick Reply: Fog-Stupid Ignorant Drivers