Sponsored by:

New Scooby owner says hello!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2012, 12:10 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scooby owner says hello!

Well finally got my 56 STi last night after 8 days of the dealership messing me around and besides a small dent in the wing, a few small marks on paintwork and really bad brakes i have to admit it has blown my expectations out of the water!!
As a Civic type R owner, the forums were littered with posts stating that the difference wasnt huge between the two cars.....They could not be more wrong! for one thing going from a car that small, it feels like i'm driving a canal barge! and the power it has is nothing short of amazing! just have to learn how to drive it now as my heavy foot is costing me a fortune! and £73 for a tank of opimax is making my wallet bleed but who needs luxuries like food and holidays!
few things I have noticed whilst reading the enormous maual is the amount of tech on the car. I imagined it to be a striped out racer like the civic but there are quite a few toys that make it much less dull, and secondly the interior build quality that made me originally discount the car arent nearly as bad as first thought. I still have a lot to learn though and the user manual is pretty vague about a lot of things but thankfully I have this forum to trawl through.
THe only big dissapointment was the brakes which to be honest are borderline dangerous but the dealership is sorting that out and the speakers in the doors! absolutley dreadful! easy fix i suppose... the other thing is the headlight leveling light seems to stay on for too long before dissapearing but i'm gonna see how taht goes as in the dark I can still see pretty good. hopefully its just me being paranoid! at the rate I am going through fuel i will be lucky to do 200 miles to a tank and thats without me thrashing it, just sloppy gear changes and stop start traffic down the M60!

There are a hundred questions I want to ask but gonna do a little research before i bombard the forum with stuff but just wanted to say a proper hello!

Cheers for reading

Mark
Old 14 March 2012, 12:11 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to mention - i think that the car has a tracker but the paperwork is a litlte vague. I have a vodafone sim card and a keypad in the coin drawer on the dash. is that standard or am i lucky enough to have a tracker fitted? (so much for not asking questions lol)
Old 14 March 2012, 12:14 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Again spoke to soon, it has a metasat gpa800 fitted but i havent got a clue how to use it??? gonna be a long night googling!
Old 14 March 2012, 12:19 AM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the wallet crunching madness :-) the standard speakers are absolutely dreadfull I've had 3 sti,s and been the first mod I've done, secondly I'd advise a bit of thought on the brakes IMHO don't go putting standard rubbish on, I had mintex m1144 pads and vented grooved discs n my 05 sti and you practically got whiplash when you used em. Like an old friend used to say 3 things you never skimp on............. condoms, tyres and brakes. As for the tracker check your service history for the certificate if you have one it'll be on a certificate which the insurance comp may want to see.
Old 14 March 2012, 12:21 AM
faz27
Scooby Regular

You don't use trackers as such if its nicked you call the company and get em to turn it on to let te fuzz know where your baby is :-)
Old 14 March 2012, 12:24 AM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Keypad in the pull down drawer to the right of the wheel is ur immobilser keyad to reset codes etc ..... :-)
Old 14 March 2012, 12:24 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

cheers guys!

so far i have found a metasat gpa800 user information sheet, a vodafone top up card and a subaru cat 1 alarm operating instruction booklet which shows a picture of the keypanel i have built into the coin holder in the dash. there is also 2 silver stickers that say your preprogrammed pin is ****. Not sure if that is the tracker pin. Tried googling for local fitters or something but no luck so far. this should help out the insurance price if i can sort out how to get it working

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2012, 12:25 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

ahhhhh - might resort to ringing previous owner for more info. he lives in buxton so hopefully he will be a nice chap who can point me in the right direction
Old 14 March 2012, 12:33 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by faz27
Keypad in the pull down drawer to the right of the wheel is ur immobilser keyad to reset codes etc ..... :-)
Thanks for that, answered to of my questions, what the keypad was and what the two pin stickers are for. Just need to find out if there is actually a tracker fitted as the card in the history says it does.
Also looked at the service interval and as it is sitting nicely at 49,000 it is almost time for the cam belt to be changed. the fun just keeps coming but no regrets so far!

thanks for the responses guys, its a great site and everyone seems friendly from the posts I have read. look forward to meeting some of you soon (probably the trafford meet as it is only down the road)
Old 14 March 2012, 12:34 AM
faz27
Scooby Regular

We all have the keypads for the immobiliser mate its not your tracer, the silver stickers are the reset pin for the alarm/immobilser but don't take em for gospel cost someone may have changed the pin, just Google metasatgpa800 never heard of that one me self I had rac track star which I had to pay 100 odd quid a year for cover for the tracker
Old 14 March 2012, 12:36 AM
faz27
Scooby Regular

There are some threads on scoobynet just checked type metasat into the search bar and all the info you want is on here hope that helps :-)
Old 14 March 2012, 12:38 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Cheers faz27, on one hand I live in a rough area and being honest i am counting the days until someone breaks in and takes it but on the other, i dont know if i would want the car back! i must have something on the car already as i have the vodafone top up card but im gonna have to do a little digging. the tracker seems to be from 2006 so its probably ancient but if it lowers the old insurance it makes me happy.
Old 14 March 2012, 12:45 AM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Makes a huge difference n the insurance mate, check the thread on metasat n here its about 120 a year. As an fyi I live in a not good insurance postcode and was quoted 1750 fr ins at the was the cheapest then I read some posts on here re insurance and called Gary moulson at Keith Michael's insurance he quoted me 750 fully comp. If you call make sure to ask for Gary and mention scoobynet!!!!
Why wouldn't you want the car back? Cost some gits nicked it?
Old 14 March 2012, 12:54 AM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

TBH yes. I have seen what state the type r's came back as when there was a robbing streak of them a couple of years ago.
Gonna give the "local" subarudealer a ring tomoro to see what they can do to get me started and get a quote based on the tracker quote on the leaflet to see what difference it makes. From what i have read it is something that the dealers can help me with to get started. might cost a little extra to set it up again but i suppose its worth it if the scum get caught red handed before they kill someone ragging it around.
The mytery is where the sim card goes that it refers too. shame there are no other documents but it has a full history and i am the second owner from new if the dealership havent registered to them so i cant really complain. the car is so well maintained besides a few cosmetic bits so i can only guess its an enthusiast owner who is probably on here. He lives up the road in Buxton so hopefully it would be nice if our paths crossed and i could get a bit more of a background on it.
Old 14 March 2012, 11:14 AM
faz27
Scooby Regular

Makes sense, defo ring moley at Keith Michael's though the cheapest quote I could get on the comparison sites and a few I called was 1750 but moley did me at 750 a grand cheaper! Good luck mate hope you get sorted
Old 14 March 2012, 02:23 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

welcome
Old 14 March 2012, 02:27 PM
Kirstiestar
Scooby Regular

Hey & welcome, love the name!
Old 14 March 2012, 02:53 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet

Get some pics up
Old 14 March 2012, 03:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome.

Don't buy door speakers on recommendation, go out and hear some at decent ICE dealers, or even Halfords.

Buy them soon, before either the modding bug bites or bills start coming in
Old 14 March 2012, 04:54 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by faz27
You don't use trackers as such if its nicked you call the company and get em to turn it on to let te fuzz know where your baby is :-)
B*ll*cks!

http://www.tracker.co.uk/b2c.html

You have to pay to use it. Annual subscription or one off lifetime payment. The car reg should be enough for you to get hold of Tracker and find out.

Hope this helps?
Old 14 March 2012, 05:48 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Welcome onboard mate. The Brembo's take some getting used to - you have to give them some real welly to work - the brakes on my daily commuter (Primera) seem a million times better - until you really, really need to stop quickly
Old 14 March 2012, 06:32 PM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Cheers everyone!

Few updates so far...

after going around the houses i have managed to get in touch with Octa to get the tracker activated. Just got to email them and they are gonna test the system. interestingly though the difference in the insurance with vs without the tracker is tiny! cheapest so far is tesco but after speaking to Keith Michaels they want me to have a yaer driving this car before they can give me a quote. odd seeing i came from a civic type r but he was a really nice guy so definatly will be giving him a call on renewal day. just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay £1400 with 7 years no claims :-(
As for the brakes, i am not sure if i am being too harsh on their performance. the car does stop with a bit of a push but it feels numb compared to the civic and you really have to press down hard. kinda expected to have break neck stopping power from brakes that big but they are replaceing them free of charge.
little possible problem is the headlight leveller icon that keeps lit up on the dash for a while. the manual says it should stay on for a few seconds but it normally stays on for a few minutes before dissapearing. it seems to stay on longer when the lights are off rather than on. is this normal?

Last job is to ring either prosport stockport or a garage at the end of the road that has been mentioned here to get the 50k service sorted out and give it a check over as looking at the engine, it is a lot to take in and even more to learn! it kept me busy picking gravel out of the top mounted intercooler thingy though!