Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I weld a HKS pipe onto a JPerformance pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2012, 08:07 PM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I weld a HKS pipe onto a JPerformance pipe?

Basically my HKS system had a bad blow from the centre flexi section so i saw a 2nd hand full stainless system on ebay with the intention of just using the centre section and the bellmouth downpipe.

I brought it and hoped they would both marry up to the HKS hyper muffler backbox, well it nearly did!

The bend on the HKS bit is ever so slightly too much, when nipped up it causes it to move too far to one side under the car and badly butts up against something solid that can't be bent out the way.

I tried the backbox that goes with the rest of the system and that fits fine but the tailpipe is slightly dented and the quality is no where near the HKS box so if I properly measure up is it possible to cut a couple of inches from the back boxes and weld the mickey mouse back box pipework onto the HKS backbox, all hangers are in the same positions.

Am I right in thinking the HKS systems have mild steel pipework and not stainless?

Can mild steel be welded to stainless?

Anywhere local to Newbury West Berkshire that could do this and roughly how much?

HKS pipe on the left.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08 March 2012, 08:54 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

i work at an engineering company that machines and welds metal to metal as a cnc programmer/operator in Newbury
if your local i could take a look at it or take it to work to see if one of the guys could weld it

regards

Neil
Old 08 March 2012, 09:39 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

You can weld mild steel and stainless.I work at a place in Basingstoke and we use tig so could possibly do something if you get stuck mate
Old 08 March 2012, 10:26 PM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

Top guys!!!

Whereabouts in Newbury do you work Neil and I take it you've got the proper gear to cut them, i don't wanna butcher them with one of my wonky hacksaw attempts.

Thinking of measuring from the 2 box hangers back making a mark, doing up a jubilee clip on the mark, then marking all the way round the pipe.

Getting the orientation of the flange is gonna be the tricky bit, any ideas?

Thinking of spirit level on the hangers then getting some kind of right angled straight edge to mark a line along the pipes, then when cut line up the marks?

Last edited by stiggy wiggy; 08 March 2012 at 10:28 PM.