New Girl Looking for classs

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2012, 12:36 AM
JustMissL
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Girl Looking for classs

Hi All,

New to scoobynet, hoping to get some tips and advice on buying my first classic scooby..
What to look out for?
Looking at a uk 2000 (X), says it has 290bhp, done 133k with scooby history, mapped by ecutek, stainless exhaust etc...
All appreciated
Lia
Old 08 March 2012, 12:46 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Old 08 March 2012, 12:48 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustMissL
Hi All,

New to scoobynet, hoping to get some tips and advice on buying my first classic scooby..
What to look out for?
Looking at a uk 2000 (X), says it has 290bhp, done 133k with scooby history, mapped by ecutek, stainless exhaust etc...
All appreciated
Lia
Hi and welcome to Scoobynet First rule of buying a Subaru these days is don't believe the horsepower figure without proof Have you got a link to the car you're looking at?
Old 08 March 2012, 12:49 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you fully aware of the running costs of a Scoob and do you have a loaf of bread?
Old 08 March 2012, 12:55 AM
JustMissL
Scooby Newbie

And the title was meant to say CLASSIC! lmao.

Yep on the running costs...

This is the description....

Here for sale is my amazing subaru impreza UK model 2000 turbo.

The car is in very good condition for its age and mileage, it has a very comprehensive book of service history and recipts for work carried out, everything is presant and accounted for as is to be expected with a car like this.

The car has 4 previous owners from new so its not your usual 100+ owner rubbish!

It is currently running around 290bhp, it has been mapped by ecutek, has a bigger turbo, bigger top mount sti intercooler, a full 3.5 inch stainless exhaust system from the turbo back (original still available if required).

The car pulls like a train, it has within the last week had the following, oil + filter change, new spark plugs, new HT leads, new coil pack and a new maf (mass air flow sensor) so all the common impreza problems have already been delt with!

This car also has fitted the bigger subaru 4 pot calipers finished in red.

The wheels have been painted black which really sets the car off well!

The interiour is in fantastic condition with no rips, tears or sagging, and it has got an mp3 compatable pioneer cd player in the dash.

The car also has tracker installed.

All of the tyres have plenty of life left in them, the brakes have recently had a service, the car has no smoke, water loss, no banging when driving, it drives so so well and is a credit to myself and its previous owners!

The vehicle has remote central locking, x4 electric windows, air conditioning, and best of all a sunroof!!!!

The bonnet has the usual stone chips and it has a few very minor car park dinks, but please remember this is a 12 year old car!
Old 08 March 2012, 12:56 AM
JustMissL
Scooby Newbie

and a loaf of bread??????
Old 08 March 2012, 01:41 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the title was meant to say CLASSIC! lmao.

Yep on the running costs...

This is the description....

Here for sale is my amazing subaru impreza UK model 2000 turbo.

The car is in very good condition for its age and mileage, it has a very comprehensive book of service history and recipts for work carried out, everything is presant and accounted for as is to be expected with a car like this.

The car has 4 previous owners from new so its not your usual 100+ owner rubbish!

It is currently running around 290bhp, it has been mapped by ecutek, has a bigger turbo, bigger top mount sti intercooler, a full 3.5 inch stainless exhaust system from the turbo back (original still available if required).

The car pulls like a train, it has within the last week had the following, oil + filter change, new spark plugs, new HT leads, new coil pack and a new maf (mass air flow sensor) so all the common impreza problems have already been delt with!

This car also has fitted the bigger subaru 4 pot calipers finished in red.

The wheels have been painted black which really sets the car off well!

The interiour is in fantastic condition with no rips, tears or sagging, and it has got an mp3 compatable pioneer cd player in the dash.

The car also has tracker installed.

All of the tyres have plenty of life left in them, the brakes have recently had a service, the car has no smoke, water loss, no banging when driving, it drives so so well and is a credit to myself and its previous owners!

The vehicle has remote central locking, x4 electric windows, air conditioning, and best of all a sunroof!!!!

The bonnet has the usual stone chips and it has a few very minor car park dinks, but please remember this is a 12 year old car!
Sorry but they came with 4 pots and what's with the "not your usual 100+ owner rubbish!"?

You need to ask which turbo is fitted and who mapped it. The advert reads like someone that doesn't know Subaru's wrote it and you need to pick it apart. Personally I wouldn't buy a car advertised like that and I'd also want to know which intercooler is fitted because "bigger sti one" means nothing really.

Ask for more details and post back and we'll advise you
Old 08 March 2012, 01:48 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i would be asking what turbo is on it, who mapped it and when timing was done last to start with
Old 08 March 2012, 02:03 AM
JustMissL
Scooby Newbie

The belt was done at 112k, it was mapped by ecutek, he has no idea what turbo so assuming i need to get the code from it and look it up.
Old 08 March 2012, 02:05 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

yeah it is an ecutek map, but who carried the work out i mean? and yeah youll need to ask him to read whay it says on the side i.e td05 16g etc or maybe even original td04 with inflated bhp for advert
Old 08 March 2012, 02:40 AM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

it has within the last week had the following, oil + filter change, new spark plugs, new HT leads, new coil pack and a new maf (mass air flow sensor)
Reads to me as if everything was replaced recently to try and fix a problem. Reason for sale is perhaps problem can not be fixed/found. I would be cautious tbh.

Richie.
Old 08 March 2012, 07:59 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to see a photo of the rear arches that's the main rust areas and of course the price which can vary from as little as £1200 up to max £1900 for a car with that mileage

Any photos available
Old 08 March 2012, 08:31 AM
nash_wrx
Scooby Regular

Welcome

As above you need to find out which mapper carried out the work on the car,
The add reads very basic, anyone who knows anything about Imprezas would have elaborated more (that alone reads alarm bells)
And the spelling makes it painful to read.

Get as much info as you can and get someone to go look at it for you, any local member surely would be more than happy to go see it with you
Old 08 March 2012, 08:40 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
Sorry but they came with 4 pots and what's with the "not your usual 100+ owner rubbish!"?

You need to ask which turbo is fitted and who mapped it. The advert reads like someone that doesn't know Subaru's wrote it and you need to pick it apart. Personally I wouldn't buy a car advertised like that and I'd also want to know which intercooler is fitted because "bigger sti one" means nothing really.

Ask for more details and post back and we'll advise you
Is it a MY2000 UK turbo or a Turbo 2000 as the Turbo 2000 had 2 pots?
Old 08 March 2012, 09:02 AM
DanAmo
Scooby Regular

Was going say mine is a UK 2000 and it has 2pots. Not for much longer though.

As has been said already hun, Try get as much information as you possibly can. If he as been looking after it as much as he makes out then really he should know what the car has on it.

Welcome to Scoobynet by the way, If you have the car be sure to post up some photos.
Old 08 March 2012, 09:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Where's the car at?
I'm in North Lincs if you want any advice etc.
Old 08 March 2012, 09:16 AM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

and a loaf of bread??????

Beware of snet perves
Old 08 March 2012, 09:41 AM
BLOB EYE
Scooby Regular

think he was leading the OP towards, using your loaf, cockney for head. but i could be wrong.

welcome to the fold lia, hope you find the one you are looking for. dont be too eager to get into that car.

took me 7 months and 6 cars until if found the correct wr1 for me so take your time and listen to the advice the guys give. some of these guys have been in scoobies since they were knee high
Old 08 March 2012, 09:46 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi and welcome, as said put the link up, and we can have a look.

As you are female there will be a line as long as a train track of snet perves willing to take a look at the car for you, so let us know where the car is and one of the old guard will take a look.

And as above sounds like it maybe had a problem and someone is trying to off load.

How much is it up for? with that milage you need to be a bit careful, also as above small rust bubbles on the outside of the rear wings may not look much but they rot from the inside so can be half way up the rear panels and very costly to repair properly.
Old 08 March 2012, 09:48 AM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet

As mentioned above, a receipt for recent timing belt is a must or budget an extra few hundred for that..

Rear arches etc, kills them all in the end..

"around 290 bhp", So he doesn't actually have a power figure then.. I went and had a look at a "300 bhp" WRX in the auction yesterday.. Guess a cheap nasty air filter, white dials and a £3 gear **** adds around 50 bhp then..

Basically, dont rush into the first one you see. Alot of numptys own Scoobs and create magical figures and stories.. Try searching the classifieds on here, at least you have half a chance of finding a car being sold by someone who knows what theyre talking about
Old 08 March 2012, 10:20 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

re: timing belt. You need to ask if the tensioner, and idler pulleys/rollers were changed and also enquire if the water pump was also checked during the cambelt change. This often stumps alot of people, who often have no idea they need to be carefully checked during the timing belt change.

Its ok, but it is known for people to just whack on a new timing belt as per the service schedule and not check/change these critical components which are usually the main root cause of the timing belt failing!

These UK turbos usually dyno around 220-240bhp in standard form. Whilst it is possible to get 290bhp out of a standard engine with bolt-on modifications. I would be caustious with dealing with someone boasting about doing it to a engine block with 130K on it. I personally think you should tread carefully on cars that have had bolt-on modifications (remaps, turbos, intercooler etc, basically anything except the engine itself) on such high mileage engines unless its been rebuilt by a reputable company (with proof), as these engines are not bullet proof and are expensive to rebuild properly.

Historically (I don't want to scare you off but...) post 1998 Imprezas had a phase of being prone to suffering engine damage due to a partially failing MAF sensor which usually occured around 70K miles, of course this car is well past that point. But its not unheard of for these cars to have rebuilt or replacment engines. Considering its claimed current BHP, I for one would hope it has had a new engine at some point in its life, as more horsepower means more wear and tear on what is a old car (god, I'm sounding like a grandad here ).

Other bits and bobs: It should be on its second clutch by now, possibly third. Not a big issue as they aren't that expensive or hard to replace. If it judders when cold, don't worry too much as they can do that from new (they shouldn't judder when hot though)! Just make sure it doesn't slip. Gearbox shouldn't whine, but many well/hard driven examples do have an intrusive whine is low gears under load. Same with the gear shift, it should not be sloppy but many worn examples are.

Rust and age will be taking its toll at this age now. Rear arches, as mentioned are prone, but being a UK car, they do have a bit better rust proofing that Jap imports (not much better, but its better than nothing). Also various rubber components on the suspension will be perishing and rotting (due to age and salt water from gritted roads), so this will affect the handling. They usually still fly through MOTs though (the suspension has to be literally ready to fall off to fail an MOT ), just the car won't ride or handle as it should, so thats more potential expense if you want to make it handle like a new car again.

Obviously I'm being cynical and this car may have had lots of stuff done with all the bills and invoices to prove it, but I have to go on face value of the typical scoobs we generally endure.

So happy hunting. Plenty of classic shape Scoobs out there, so if this car isn't right, don't worry too much about walking away from it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 March 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08 March 2012, 10:23 AM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ramdor
Reads to me as if everything was replaced recently to try and fix a problem. Reason for sale is perhaps problem can not be fixed/found. I would be cautious tbh.

Richie.

Thats exactly what i thought, ok i would change plugs and maybe Ht leads but coilpacks only if they were broken and misfiring but MAF? Why?
Old 08 March 2012, 10:27 AM
flame_on
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome. Are you Fit?
Old 08 March 2012, 10:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BLOB EYE
think he was leading the OP towards, using your loaf, cockney for head. but i could be wrong.

No, he's just being a pervert.

The loaf goes on your head, and you take a picture as proof that you are the person posting. An age old Scoobynet tradition.

Usually only requested for female members.....I can't imagine why
Old 08 March 2012, 10:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Shaks-STI
Thats exactly what i thought, ok i would change plugs and maybe Ht leads but coilpacks only if they were broken and misfiring but MAF? Why?

Does sound like poke n' prod diagnostic from what I like to call "trouble code technicians" (i.e those who say XXX part is faulty just from reading a ECU fault code). Or worse been on the hands of the "blame the MAF" brigade.

An ignition misfire has distinctly different driveability symptoms to a fueling misfire or mixture fault. A MAF itself won't cause uneven running, but a coilpack/HT lead/Plug will. However lean running can show up a weak ignition system (lean mixture is harder to ignite IIRC), as teh spark tries to jump somewhere else before it reaches the spark plug electrode (in cases like that keep your limbs well away from those HT leads ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 March 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08 March 2012, 10:48 AM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flame_on
Hi and welcome. Are you Fit?
Theres always one
Old 08 March 2012, 10:54 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Is it a MY2000 UK turbo or a Turbo 2000 as the Turbo 2000 had 2 pots?
All the non special edition Uk Classics were Turbo 2000 and as such depending on MY, they could be 2 pot or 4 pot.
Old 08 March 2012, 10:59 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search some of the sale adverts on here rather then eBay or some dodgy garage
Also sign up to one of the local clubs forums
There must be at least 30 in the uk as club cars are nromally looked after well with lots of members scrutising them at meetings and occasionally they are up for sale
Arches repairs you could budget £1000 and tyres new set could set you back £400
Old 08 March 2012, 11:06 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by BLOB EYE
You are wrong.

On the Internet it is not unknown for people to pretend to be a gender that they are not in the hope of attracting more response. Therefore the community sometimes requests a photo for evidence. Often the sneaky pretender will post a picture of Angeline Jolie or Penelope Cruz, perpetuating the illusion.

To avoid this deceit the community may ask them to pose a photo with a loaf of bread on their head so as to verify the photo's provenance.

That is what Brun was alluding to.

(Sorry Ali-B got there first.)
Old 08 March 2012, 11:08 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Quick Reply: New Girl Looking for classs