Sponsored by:

Afterburner more bhp or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2012, 01:38 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afterburner more bhp or not ?

Would an afterburner backbox release more bhp than my prodrive rear box or simply be louder ?
Old 03 March 2012, 01:44 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by madmarx
Would an afterburner backbox release more bhp than my prodrive rear box or simply be louder ?
No. Sorry NO! ( I had to shout because of the noise from the afterburner..)
Old 03 March 2012, 01:49 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Not really. They do claim it does as they say the angled exit afterburner flows better but for more noticable power you need to remove cats etc and then remap. I have had both prodrive and the afterburner. The afterburner does sound nice, although I am about to change mine for something a bit quieter as since a full decat it has got too loud for day to day use. Before the decat is was just right.
Old 03 March 2012, 02:47 PM
chrishigham
Scooby Regular

I have just removed my prodrive backbox and fitted a afterburner vortex, it doesnt feel any faster but looks better and with the cats on sounds perfect.
Old 03 March 2012, 03:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
Not really. They do claim it does as they say the angled exit afterburner flows better but for more noticable power you need to remove cats etc and then remap. I have had both prodrive and the afterburner. The afterburner does sound nice, although I am about to change mine for something a bit quieter as since a full decat it has got too loud for day to day use. Before the decat is was just right.

I've currently got a 3" system on my Scoob with a Bob Rawle remap. I sent him an enquisitive email the other day as I prefer the look of the jap angled exit backboxes. I asked if it would make a difference to the back pressure or if the map would need altering (obviously not financially worth it to change the backbox if this is required). His answer was no, it should be fine and make no difference to the map. Assuming the angled exit backboxes with the 4-4.5" slash cut tips are the same/similar re. the baffles, would it make such a disernable difference?