Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstation/Unichip/Bsm-A personal experience.

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2001, 12:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After months of asking stupid questions on the BBS I eventually had the mods done at Powerstation.Spec of the car was;
STI 4 Type R with SS DP,standard mid and backbox( because I d'ont like a lot of noise.)
On Friday had the following fitted;
1)Unichip with boost controller.The car is now much punchier in mid range.Also feels like I'm in third gear when I'm in fifth.Offboost obviosly no difference.Most amazingly this increase in power comes with a smoother,quieter,more fuel efficient engine.The car no longer feels like a all or nothing turbo charged car,but a more powerful normally aspirated car(I hope that makes sense)At 90 mph on the motorway on the way home the engine was almost silentand without vibration,but when I dabbed the pedal(in fifth) the car shot off as though I was in a gear lower.
Also had a Knocklink installed at the same time and so can confirm there is no detting whatsoever.As a value for money/safe mod this seems definateley one to go for.I could still do with the turbo spinning up sooner but I suppose this could be done by replacing the rest of the exhaust.
2)Bump steer mod.I think this is something you have to experience.The handling of the car is completley transformed.It seems to turn and steer like a gokart.I have'nt had time to really put it to the test to see if it has any downsides but first impressions seem that this is a must have mod too.
3)4 pot AP calipers with 310mm willwood drilled discs(not done at Powerststion),these still need bedding in so I w'ont comment on them yet.
PLEASE NOTE I know I am not the first person to have these mods done but I thought someone maybe interested in what I have experienced.Cheers Deep.
Old 08 April 2001, 04:40 PM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

Deep, how did you find the guys and the service? I am booking my car in there tomorrow to have my premature boost cut problem investigated.

Also which boost controller did you get? I am thinking of getting an HKS EVC IV
Old 08 April 2001, 05:30 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Rikki,I'm sure you are in good hands.They are all a very approachable and enthusiastic bunch there and do not seem the kind to try and rip a punter off.I'm sure they understand engine management systems as well as anybody since they also map the Motech system and I'm yet to hear a negative thread about these boys.As for the boost controller I'm using I d'ont know which one it is but I know it cost £110 if that helps.Good luck with your problem. Deep.
Old 08 April 2001, 06:07 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

I had bump-steer done by Powerstation and they are a good bunch of blokes. I also got some TaxOx Pads/Discs fittend by them as well.

I just had may car serviced there on Monday, they know what they are taliking about and dont charge the earth.

As far as I am concerned the bump-steer mod makes the car much more responsive with improved turn in. I am had an MR2 before and I found the scooby to slow to change direction untill I had this done. I get no understeer anymore and it feels much more "chuckable". Be warned that it does take a short time to get used so dont push to hard on the way home or you may wind up looking silly.

Bye,

Dave
Old 08 April 2001, 07:46 PM
Yosser
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you had the Unichip added then it's probably the Unichip add on boost controller. It's an option on the Unichip set up.
Cheers
Old 08 April 2001, 07:56 PM
silver
Scooby Regular

Deep
Had the bump steer mod done on Friday also.
Mine was the DMB car in when you arrived in your motor.
Argee with all the comments i've read on the board about Powerstation and the bump steer mod, its the dogs.
I drove it to work on my daily roads to the Cotswolds today and it feels like a totally new car, you really can chuck it around and it steers sweet and sticks to the road like the preverbial childs poo to a blanket.
The guys at Powerstation are mega helpful and totally enthusiastic about the job they do. They explain every thing they are doing and the results you can expect. Excellent customer service, reccomend them to anyone.
If you've heard of the bump steer mod and then have been thinking of having it done then think no more just do it, you wont regret it.
Old 08 April 2001, 07:59 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Deep, any news on postage for your old brakes yet? I might put a post on the bbs to see if anyone is coming up this way sometime soon, it worked for the spoiler I bought a month ago from London. Dreamweaver brought it up to Lancashire for me and I popped over to his place to pick it up. Always worth a try

Trending Topics

Old 08 April 2001, 08:21 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Silver, remember seeing your car there as I arrived.The guy with the long hair who does the BSM was saying how happy you were with the mod.You d'ont know how lucky you are to have roads like that up there!!
Charlie I have sorted out postage and I will pay for it as it is not that much.Please mail me to sort out a payment method,the kit is ready and wrapped waiting to be posted. Cheers, Deep.
Old 09 April 2001, 05:33 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Woohoo! Deep, I'll e-mail you from home

Charlie
Old 09 April 2001, 05:53 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Did anyone else notice that he didn't mention free pot-noodles?
Old 09 April 2001, 06:52 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Moray,

Yeah, they plot thickens. Maybe it is a Shaun only thing ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 09 April 2001, 08:39 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being new to the Scooby tuning world, and thinking of chipping my MY95. How much does the unichip cost as I think the Power Engineering mod is a bit pricey at over 600.00 quid.

The problem is that I'm used to chipping RS Turbo's and Cosworths at about 150.00 a time.

Cheers....
Old 09 April 2001, 11:03 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Get all 4 wheels lined up while you're there too! They should all point forward in differing degreees to what the factory thinks! (STi spend 8K moding my 'standard' car and don't even spend £30 check this - amazing!
Old 10 April 2001, 10:46 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Hey guys, you either have it or you don't!!!

Put it this way, would you refuse me a free pot noodle if I asked you!!! But then again I didn't ask them......I told them!!!

Club foot and Billy r good lads, it's Kurtis who is about as much use as **** on fish!!

Can't comment on the bumpsteer mod, but they fitted a UNICHIP which was mega.

Shaun.