2.0L R Sport. Yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2012, 04:12 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0L R Sport. Yay or nay?

Hey guys hows everyone?

I'm new to the forums so first off Hi everyone, always been a big fan of the Scooby but age and insurance won't let me get my all time fav.. WRX STi </3

But i've turned 21 and being as my current car (Nissan 100nx.. i like them ) is starting to get wheel bearing issues and cv joint noises i'm not sure i want to put more money into it. Bought it for a grand and must of spent 3 on it the past 2 years of owning it.. plus i need something bigger and alittle more bhp is never a bad thing is it? lol

Anyway im looking around to get a newish Subaru and i found a mint
2006 Impreza 2.0R Sport in silver with only 20k on the clock for 5k and insurance 2.5k with 1 years no claims and i'm 21. But main question here is.. is this car any good?

Any reviews/advice/opinions are welcome! Thanks guys
Old 09 February 2012, 04:16 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Don't expect it to go or sound like the turbo versions...but most subaru's are reliable enough and it does sound a sweet model miles wise.
Old 09 February 2012, 04:18 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hi fella, welcome to the site.

This is kinda a can of worms (you'll find out). For the money, there are better cars with regards to fuel economy, performance, looks and the like. But if you are into the Subaru scene in general then it isn't the worst way onto the ladder. What some young 'uns do make the mistake of doing is to buy a non-turbo variant and make it look like a turbo replica, thus hiking the insurance (if they even declare mods - another can of worms) to the level of that a turbo variant.

I'm personally not keen on the non turbo variants from a value-for-money perspective but I had a classic sport as my first car when I passed my driving test, so can't comment on the newage sport variants.

Best of luck with your search regardless of your eventual choice

Andy
Old 09 February 2012, 04:26 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

COB hits the nail on the head.

Great cars but you can get cheaper, more economical, faster cars for the money but if it's the car you want then go for it.
Old 09 February 2012, 04:26 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies

I dont really expect too much of it i know i wish i could get insured on a turbo model but its just not happening. 6k insurance i cant afford so this is kinda my best bet for Subaru.

Fuel economy well lets just say i was looking at an RX8 at first so thats not relaly an issue im willing to pay the price its just insurance which is the killer for me, I'd prob not end up modding it and leave it stock, no fancy bodykits for me
My main worry is spending out for this car and finding i dont enjoy it, i love my current car but i just need something more... say.. Practical but i dont want to go with a family carrier or something. I like to be the black sheep lol.

Kell
Old 09 February 2012, 04:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Well I'd simply say test drive a couple for a reasonable distance before committing to buy. For £5k you can buy a pretty nippy hot hatch with probable similar power but less weight.

The worst thing as you say is to fork out your hard earned and 2 months down the line think "****, I don't like this".
Old 09 February 2012, 04:38 PM
colebags
Scooby Regular

go for it mate u will love it most people on here will say its not a real impreza as its a non turbo but if thats all you can afford go for it they are reliable cars also there AWD so excellent handling in the crap weather.like others said there not the best on petrol they do about 28-30mpg if ur lucky thats the only down side to them really
Old 09 February 2012, 04:46 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Well I'd simply say test drive a couple for a reasonable distance before committing to buy. For £5k you can buy a pretty nippy hot hatch with probable similar power but less weight.

The worst thing as you say is to fork out your hard earned and 2 months down the line think "****, I don't like this".
I haven't expanded beyond Jap motors at the moment, and i want to continue my love affair with jap cars haha. Prob thinking "We got a weird one here boys" :P

I mean if i was to buy this car i wouldn't want to for say Santa pod or Silverstone but like you said matey i don't want to end up regretting it. Shame there's no reviews on youtube of it and i don't want to end up with downgrand on power which i've only got around 130bhp with my NX at the min sooo.. really stuck at the mo! Thanks for the advice so far guys

Also concerning the mpg, i think i get around 350 miles per tank on my current car and thats motorway driving, around town i can do a tenner a day easy i cant see this one being worse

Last edited by Paws; 09 February 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09 February 2012, 04:51 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a Clio Sport or something pal, good bang for buck. In my opinion a scooby MUST have a turbo.

Sorry but I am being blunt, I nearly got a sport, but carried on repping my 1.1 206 and saving until insurance was viable... now it is... I couldn't be happier....

Your choice but as I say, if it dont boost, it's no use... but if you do... enjoy whatever you get! Scoobys are generally good cars... but when you say 'I got an Impreza' ... you will always get... 'oh cool.... which one?'.... think about it
Old 09 February 2012, 05:02 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Hang on a minute young man....

The car is 5K, the insurance for said car is 2.5K. So for ONE years motoring (excluding running costs and general maintenance) you'd of spent half the value of the car. Infact you would have spent half the value of the car before you even pull off your drive.
To me, personally, that is crazy.

My advice (it's not worth much) is to stay in something a little cheaper. Build up a couple more years NCB and keep sticking a few quid away. Then, once you have a few years NCB and a few pennies saved you'll be able to go out, buy your dream car and insure it for a figure alot less than 50% of the value of the car.

What I will say though is if you HAVE to have an Impreza right now make sure you go a test drive a few. And when I say test drive I don't mean a quick blast round the block. Good long runs so you are aware of what your buying and most importantly, what it's not.
Old 09 February 2012, 05:13 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Hang on a minute young man....

The car is 5K, the insurance for said car is 2.5K. So for ONE years motoring (excluding running costs and general maintenance) you'd of spent half the value of the car. Infact you would have spent half the value of the car before you even pull off your drive.
To me, personally, that is crazy.

My advice (it's not worth much) is to stay in something a little cheaper. Build up a couple more years NCB and keep sticking a few quid away. Then, once you have a few years NCB and a few pennies saved you'll be able to go out, buy your dream car and insure it for a figure alot less than 50% of the value of the car.

What I will say though is if you HAVE to have an Impreza right now make sure you go a test drive a few. And when I say test drive I don't mean a quick blast round the block. Good long runs so you are aware of what your buying and most importantly, what it's not.
Thanks for the advice mate, the insurance on this car is less then i expected. My first policy was 3k on a 14 year old car which cost me a grand and that was the cheapest i could get as everyone else wanted 8k. No kidding call me crazy for paying that but meh it got me on the road and the way i see it i got a car i liked for my first car not a beater so it was worth it and i love driving it but need something bigger and this came up and again i want something i will like

Advice is appreciated, i am abit crazy for wanting to spend this sort of cash don't worry i know :P
Old 09 February 2012, 05:19 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

What is it you love about the Impreza ?
Old 09 February 2012, 05:22 PM
Ieuanroden
Scooby Newbie

Hi i have just bought a 2007 2.0R sport about 6 weeks ago, same as you always wanted a subaru but i rushed into it, dont get me wrong im 20 years old and i love it, the insurance isnt as bad as yours though it was only 1400 (3 yrs ncb). il be ugrading to a wrx or sti in a couple of months time when im 21 but personally with hind sight i would have waited. the advice these guys are giving is spot on. dont get me wrong i went from a 1.2 to this so to me it was a big jump and it is a quick car but it is a thirstycar for what it is, the turbo is defo worth the wait.

but its your choice, im just speaking from exerience.

I
Old 09 February 2012, 05:24 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Love the shape and style, interior and of course the Boxer engine. Cant forgot about the 4WD either. They look great and are reliable sure this one aint the most powerful or turbo'd model but its practical and really had caught my eye.
Old 09 February 2012, 05:28 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Ieuanroden
Hi i have just bought a 2007 2.0R sport about 6 weeks ago, same as you always wanted a subaru but i rushed into it, dont get me wrong im 20 years old and i love it, the insurance isnt as bad as yours though it was only 1400 (3 yrs ncb). il be ugrading to a wrx or sti in a couple of months time when im 21 but personally with hind sight i would have waited. the advice these guys are giving is spot on. dont get me wrong i went from a 1.2 to this so to me it was a big jump and it is a quick car but it is a thirstycar for what it is, the turbo is defo worth the wait.

but its your choice, im just speaking from exerience.

I
Ah yeah see i've only got the 1 year no claims here really wish i started sooner then i did but never mind eh, i tried to get insurance on a WRX and i did ring about 10 companies but they was funny about me not being 25, but again i've only got 1 years no claims so was to be expected really. I am taking in all the advice given i was going to ring the dealer and say i'd have it but i thought id wait and do my research before doing it otherwise i might end up kicking myself :P
Old 09 February 2012, 05:29 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

I was gonna go into my thoughts on Impreza sports but I won't.

Go drive it, it's your money and if your happy then go for it. It sounds to me that your mind is already made up so for me to sit here and list it's flaws is pointless.

Just take into account that your spending alot of money here so make the correct choice for the correct reasons.

Good luck buddy.
Old 09 February 2012, 05:35 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

I was gonna go into my thoughts on Impreza sports but I won't.

Go drive it, it's your money and if your happy then go for it. It sounds to me that your mind is already made up so for me to sit here and list it's flaws is pointless.
Might sound like i have made my mind up and i really do want to go for it but i'm just not there, its a big step for me being as i've only ever had my current car and i really don't want to end up thinking to myself down the line damn i made a mistake on either not buying it when i could of or buying it and not liking it. Is the list of Flaws big? other then it having just a 2.0l engine and non turbo?
Old 09 February 2012, 08:28 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

having owned and still own the same model, things you need to take into account.

£65/£70 for a full tank of fuel which if your lucky and drive like a granny you will get 300 miles out of a full tank, if not you will be lucky to get 250.

165/170bhp which will be quicker than ur current car but will also be heavier.

if things go wrong they could be expensive to fix with some parts only being available through subaru direct (i do speak from experience)

servicing costs are not cheap unless you have a dealer/mechanic you can trust and it must be serviced regular (dependant on your mileage).

but having said all that, there is not a day i dont regret buying it and it puts a smile on my face every trip i do.

Last edited by imprezajon; 09 February 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09 February 2012, 10:44 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

I say NAY...

No turbo, No point.

Big regrets not so far down the line.
Old 09 February 2012, 11:12 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigfturbo2000
I say NAY...

No turbo, No point.

Big regrets not so far down the line.

Couldn't have put it better
Old 10 February 2012, 07:50 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Welcome... I can sympathise a bit as I was in a similar position (albeit quite long ago), and I took a slightly different route and waited. My problem was that I couldn't get a decent insurance quote for the import STI that I really wanted, so I decided to go for a UK spec Turbo 2000 wagon instead. Still cost me a bit, but it was easier and worth waiting for. I did consider the non-turbo, but I had to be honest with myself in that I wanted the turbo, and I knew that if I got the non-turbo, that would only make me want the turbo more, if you get what I mean. In the end I waited and it was worth it for sure.

I agree with comments above about insurance that costs half the price of the car, and although it does seem crazy I know sometimes we do crazy things to get where we want to be, so don't feel too bad about it. If you can afford it and want it bad enough, then sure its not a problem, but personally I wouldn't pay that much

Be honest with yourself here - if you really want the turbo, then save up for it and get one. You will be happier in the long run. Think of it this way, if you get something cheaper now, then you will get to where you want to be faster than if you spend more on this interim step, if that makes sense.

The longer you wait the more no claims you have etc. and the more cash you will have saved up. Frustrating I know but probably worth it in the long run

My two pence worth anyway

Also, just to throw a spanner in the works, have you considered other non-turbo Subarus, such as the Legacy 3.0 H6 perhaps? Might be cheaper to insure, they are nice comfy cars to drive and make a good noise as well. Not the boxer burble though, but a nice noise nonetheless. Might be a good compromise between performance and insurance for now? Fuel economy won't be any better thats for sure

As said above, take it for a decent test drive back to back with an alternative and see what you think, and good luck whichever way you decide to go
Old 10 February 2012, 09:28 AM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Some great advice above.. Ive never owned a non turbo, but Ive driven 1 or 2 and to be honest, theyre nothing spectacular.. If I was you Id stick to your little 100nx (dont worry about clicky CV joints, won't do any harm), save up and get the car you REALLY want, you will be happy you did in the end.

Ive always loved Pulsars (suppose it comes with banger racing Sunnys), and when I was 18 I had a lookalike. Enjoyed driving it, but when people ask, you feel a bit silly
Suppose it isn't the same in this case though as it isn't actually pretending to be anything..

Youre choice bud, only you can make up your own mind. Everyone told me not to get my Scoob, but Im dam glad I did, I love it
Old 10 February 2012, 09:43 AM
simonraper
Scooby Regular

Where in london are you based mate?
Old 10 February 2012, 09:47 AM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

I had my impreza at 19 was a uk turbo 2000 my insurance was 2200, now 21 own a 2003 wrx my insurance is 1350. Why not go for a cheaper car and a little bit more insurance? Put your parents on the policy too if they drive this helps
Old 10 February 2012, 10:00 AM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Morning all, damn cold outside :P

Thanks for sharing advice and experiences, I'm considering staying with my current car for abit longer just a pain cause i really need something bigger and hours of searching autotrader only a handful i like but the insurance is though the roof or the cars only got like 70bhp. Was driving a Spacestar awhile back when my car was in the garage having fifth gear replaced and the lack of power was horrible! Then again mpg wise it was awesome i think that's down to when you put your foot down the engine said "NO! BAD!" and didn't move :P

Anyway back on topic.

imprezajon - Mpg wise on motorways at 50-60 i can just squeeze 350-400 a tank and that's if i brim the tank to the neck and drive like a granny or James May with his hypermiling tips. Around town i cant see me getting more then 15mpg i put 20 quids worth in 3 days ago and hardly drove and its already nearing the red mark lol..

About the turbo, I'd like a turbo sure but insurance companies tell me i have to wait till I'm 25 for a WRX i checked out a turbo 2000 wagon but it seems anything with insurance group 15+ boosts it by the grands.

scooby546 - I saw a mint silver (wanted blue but never mind) WRX Sti i think it had around the same mileage as the non turbo and instantly rang my insurance, i kinda forgot its a 300bhp beast and over 10 companies say i gotta be 25. Kinda annoying as a mate of mine bought his 300ZX TT at 19! So i think I'm gonna go test drive it see what i think and if there's any doubt in my mind what so ever i will walk away. I'd like the non turbo cause I'm guessing its cheaper to run (might be wrong), i need to get something with back doors and i want the Isofix child seat attachment for when the little'en is abit older, also I'd love something newer cause atm ive got no abs, traction control, Air con or airbags for that matter! So if anyone could suggest other motors that would be awesome. I did look at the Legacy always liked them i couldn't seem to find a 3.0 as they was all nearing 10 grand for low mileage ones

Might sound like a set to buy this car but I'm really not and all this advice is helping me out big time! So if I'm not worried about it lacking a turbo and say wanted it just for my daily driver and to expand to a bigger car with the isofix attachment, have something newer and more modern that's in mint condition and maybe abit of 4WD fun would the answers still be Nay? If so i think i will stick with my current car as long as i can and just cross the bridge when it comes

Ste-v - Yeah sticking with the NX is more on the cards then buying this 2.0R, i really enjoy driving it around and its never let me down majorly apart from once when the diff exploded and required and a refurb'd box was put on, the clicky joints have started a few months ago and i also got a wheel bearing going bad by the sounds of it too, plus the car is full of little dents and scratches and if i was to restore it this is where its gonna rape my wallet and bank, Mines only the GA16 but i do love it, and the targa tops (waits for hairdresser comments :P ).

Again thanks all that's helped me out on this one

Edit: I'm right on the boarder in Sidcup at the min, more Kent but my post comes in with London and we got TFL crud, Jamie how many years ncb you got or had your license if you don't mind me asking? I'm the only one that drives in the family

Last edited by Paws; 10 February 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Replys
Old 10 February 2012, 10:49 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paws
Morning all, damn cold outside :P

Might sound like a set to buy this car but I'm really not and all this advice is helping me out big time! So if I'm not worried about it lacking a turbo and say wanted it just for my daily driver and to expand to a bigger car with the isofix attachment, have something newer and more modern that's in mint condition and maybe abit of 4WD fun would the answers still be Nay? If so i think i will stick with my current car as long as i can and just cross the bridge when it comes
To answer this bit, I think you should drive it remember its still an Impreza so its still a good solid car and yes AWD / handling etc is still great and will be a big step up in terms of general comfort and practicality (airbags, ABS, isofix etc etc.), so if you like it then the answer would probably be yes...
Old 10 February 2012, 11:06 AM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Well like I say I wouldn't worry too much about the CV joint, the wheel bearing you should be looking at probably £50 - £60 supplied and fitted if rear, probably £80 ish S+F if front.. Although I guess living in London you will probably pay more..

And have you tried Elephant? Last year my pal (at 20 years old) had an 04 blob eye UK STi insured for around £1700, but he had been driving since 17 with no points/claims. Hes now 21 and has just sold his 400 bhp Evo 6 which was a few hundred more..
Old 10 February 2012, 02:32 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby546
To answer this bit, I think you should drive it remember its still an Impreza so its still a good solid car and yes AWD / handling etc is still great and will be a big step up in terms of general comfort and practicality (airbags, ABS, isofix etc etc.), so if you like it then the answer would probably be yes...
Well lets see how the test drives goes eh, prob gonna end up coming home and thinking "I still dunno what the F to do" :P

Originally Posted by Ste-V
Well like I say I wouldn't worry too much about the CV joint, the wheel bearing you should be looking at probably £50 - £60 supplied and fitted if rear, probably £80 ish S+F if front.. Although I guess living in London you will probably pay more..

And have you tried Elephant? Last year my pal (at 20 years old) had an 04 blob eye UK STi insured for around £1700, but he had been driving since 17 with no points/claims. Hes now 21 and has just sold his 400 bhp Evo 6 which was a few hundred more..
Yeah the bearing is atm my main concern as the noise is slowly getting worse and the last thing i need is the wheel falling off
I was quoted 175 to replace the front drivers side but shortly after that my exhaust broke off from the manifold and of course that had to be repair first. Will try Elephant now thanks for the tip
Old 10 February 2012, 03:10 PM
simonraper
Scooby Regular

Shame - if you had been a little bit closer to the West side of London you could have had a spin in mine.

As for the 06 one - one thing to watch is when was it registered pre March ? If so how much is the Road Tax?

But defo worth a drive - I enjoy mine - But always got looking at the STi''s thou -

Just ignore everyone saying its not a 'real' impreza - we'll its got the impreza badge on it. Could go for the 1.5 model - if insurance is too much ;-)
Old 10 February 2012, 03:19 PM
Paws
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by simonraper
Shame - if you had been a little bit closer to the West side of London you could have had a spin in mine.

As for the 06 one - one thing to watch is when was it registered pre March ? If so how much is the Road Tax?

But defo worth a drive - I enjoy mine - But always got looking at the STi''s thou -

Just ignore everyone saying its not a 'real' impreza - we'll its got the impreza badge on it. Could go for the 1.5 model - if insurance is too much ;-)
I'm always traveling west though London or around the M25, atleast 3 times a month, i drive way to much but i enjoy it so yay :P

Its an 06 plate and falls in the K band? dont really know what that means but yeah, i'm gonna book a test drive but its a good 4 hours away from me so prob be next week or something ifi can book time off work. Hows its it for a daily drive?

Quick Reply: 2.0L R Sport. Yay or nay?