Sponsored by:

Coiple of quick questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2012, 10:35 AM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coiple of quick questions..

I know these should probably bebin different sections, but thought 1 thread would take up less bandwidth or whatever it's called

Anyway, first, my 95 JDM WRX, should there be some sort of cover in the boot hiding the wiper motor, speakers, wiring etc? Looks a bit scruffy..

And also,does anyone ever remove their sideskirts (particularly classics) to clean the sills? Surely muck build up in there won't help the life of the sills.. Do the bolts sheer off or anything? Is it worth doing?

Many thanks, Steve
Old 09 February 2012, 10:39 AM
duds64
Scooby Regular

Hi Ste, there is no cover to cover your speakers and you have to be very carefull when taking your side skirts off as not to snap the bolts or break the clips

Last edited by duds64; 09 February 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09 February 2012, 11:50 AM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud, just looks a bit scruffy under there, may have to design something

And yeah I seem to remember having a bit of trouble with the skirt bolts on a customers classic a couple of years ago, thats why I thought Id ask before I snapped them all..
Old 09 February 2012, 12:36 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

I've never bothered cleaning under side skirts
Old 09 February 2012, 12:56 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ste-V
I know these should probably bebin different sections, but thought 1 thread would take up less bandwidth or whatever it's called

Anyway, first, my 95 JDM WRX, should there be some sort of cover in the boot hiding the wiper motor, speakers, wiring etc? Looks a bit scruffy..

And also,does anyone ever remove their sideskirts (particularly classics) to clean the sills? Surely muck build up in there won't help the life of the sills.. Do the bolts sheer off or anything? Is it worth doing?

Many thanks, Steve
i have a newage sti, when i undersealed it last year i removed the sideskirts and cleaned then undersealed.
Old 09 February 2012, 01:20 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste-V

Many thanks, Steve
on that old a car, your asking for trouble taking off the skirts imo.

but i know what you mean i had an early scoob and i really really wanted to get inbehind them, maybe paranoia lol but im sure just be packe with dirt and salt, grrr haha.
but if your wanting to do the job, id make sure you have all new clips available, fresh new bolts with copperslip for every single bolt hole and a tap an die set at the appropriate size first. then a day before soak as much as you can get to with wd-40 and just work bolts back and forth keep soaking them and with any luck youll just get a few stripped threads.

never looked at how sills are attached tbh - be interesting to no how you get on bud
Old 09 February 2012, 06:37 PM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, will give it a go when I get round to it and Ill underseal it all while theyre off.. Thanks
Old 09 February 2012, 06:47 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd worry more about the sills than the clips as the bolts go into white expandable locator clips that fit inside square holes in the sill, i found that the whole thing spins around and distorts/rips the metal on the sill before it comes out, which is what it did on one of mine at the front.

Just jack it up and stick the jetwash lance in there, should get rid of most of the crap/salt.