Sponsored by:

Type R Spec

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2012, 09:33 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R Spec

Need some help, im looking around at present for a new car and fancy having a 2 door Impreza as they seems to always catch my eye but with them being so old now and seeing so many being broken it makes me think twice.

Possibly looking at one on the weekend, its a version 4 Wrx Sti Type R, it has the usual spec:

4 pot front brakes, 2 pot rear brakes
Driver controlled centre differential(DCCD)
Inter-cooler water spray
close ratio gearbox

Ive copied the engine spec below as the engine was rebuilt by a reputable firm 3 years ago (approxs 15000 miles ago)

Fully forged closed deck short motor
“H” section forged conrods
Forged pistons (believed to be either JE or Mahle race pistons?)
Race bearings
Version 9 Nitrided, Cross Drilled Crank Shaft
Gems ECU
Roger Clark Motorsport modified oil pump
Lightweight flywheel and engine pulley set
Ported and flowed cylinder heads
Stainless steel uprated headers
3" fully de-catted stainless exhaust system
K+N 57i air filter
FSE Walbro uprated fuel pump
FSE motorsport fuel pressure regulator

The owner sates the car is running a safe 324 Bhp & 315 Ftlb of torque.

Now I have a few question, are forged engines noisy from cold.........if they are how long should it take to quieten down? Anyone have any experience of the Gems ECU? Dont want a car which idles badly or starts badly.

What should I be looking out for as really don't want to buy a lemon as I want to use it as an everyday car and cant afford to make a bad decision!

Anyone give me any tips on what to look for or some good pointers or what to even expect when looking at a type R?
Old 08 February 2012, 09:57 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello mate.for a start the fact that it's had a rebuild by a reputable builder is a great start.Good choice of car too.
Forged pistons can have a little piston slap when cold which is normal,and it should go away within a minute or so.Mine on a very cold morning lasts about 10 seconds.
Most checks are just general stuff really.Mostly to do with the engine which has been taken care of.
Check all fluids and pull the dipstick to see if the oil is still golden from a recent change.Hear it start from cold first to make sure it sounds sweet.Once it's warm run it on boost across the rev range to make sure there's no hesitations or noises.
Check underneath to see if it's been wax oiled.If it hasn't then it's worth getting it done.
Go over the rebuild receipts and make sure you're happy,or even give the builder a quick call to ask their opinion on the car.
Check there's plenty of meat left on the brakes.Make sure there's no knocks from the suspension.
When cold look in the header tank to see if it's clean coolant in there and not full of rusty water.

That's about it really mate.I haven't used that ecu so hopefully someone else will be able to help you there.
Get some pics up if you can,some on here may know the car and could give you more advise.

Danny.
Old 08 February 2012, 09:58 PM
chris_wrx
Scooby Regular

spend as much as you can afford my v6 was over 7 grand

GEMS is motorsport ecu and also quite old tech though should not be to bad maybe cold start a issue but then so does simtek

forged engines can be really noisy or really quiet depends on the tolerances the engine builder has used

things to look for in a type r is accident damage, make sure the diffs work , and trust your gut
Old 08 February 2012, 10:13 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr moff
Hello mate.for a start the fact that it's had a rebuild by a reputable builder is a great start.Good choice of car too.
Forged pistons can have a little piston slap when cold which is normal,and it should go away within a minute or so.Mine on a very cold morning lasts about 10 seconds.
Most checks are just general stuff really.Mostly to do with the engine which has been taken care of.
Check all fluids and pull the dipstick to see if the oil is still golden from a recent change.Hear it start from cold first to make sure it sounds sweet.Once it's warm run it on boost across the rev range to make sure there's no hesitations or noises.
Check underneath to see if it's been wax oiled.If it hasn't then it's worth getting it done.
Go over the rebuild receipts and make sure you're happy,or even give the builder a quick call to ask their opinion on the car.
Check there's plenty of meat left on the brakes.Make sure there's no knocks from the suspension.
When cold look in the header tank to see if it's clean coolant in there and not full of rusty water.

That's about it really mate.I haven't used that ecu so hopefully someone else will be able to help you there.
Get some pics up if you can,some on here may know the car and could give you more advise.

Danny.
plus 1, great advice there......
find and drive a good Type R you wont desire anything else
Old 10 February 2012, 12:28 AM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the sound advice, really appreciate the useful tips on things to check.

Im really in two minds to spend out on an older car though? it worries me the car is 14 years old. Ive been looking at the for sale section on here, along with pistonheads and ebay and you can buy a much newer Impreza for the same sort of cash im potentially going to spend.

The car im looking at hasnt been wax oiled / under sealed.

Do body shops or car garages offer this as a service, never really looked into it but im assuming being an older car it would be worth doing.

On that note are there any areas underneath that are prone to rot or corrosion?
Old 10 February 2012, 12:42 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

always look under the spare wheel in the boot.......
Old 10 February 2012, 12:51 AM
Baker
Scooby Regular

Im assuming for signs of rust or damage? is that a bit or bad spot on the cars?
Old 10 February 2012, 01:00 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baker
Im assuming for signs of rust or damage? is that a bit or bad spot on the cars?
rust.... water can get in and rest there.