Sponsored by:

Classic UK Turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2012, 05:45 PM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic UK Turbo 2000

I'm happy with the car at the minute but, may mod it in future. Currently it's got a full decat and induction kit and produces 231bhp.

Would a remap without anymore mods be worthwhile and if so, what could I expect to get out of the car whilst keeping the reliability stable?

Are there any other low cost mods I should consider?
Old 08 February 2012, 05:48 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A remap would be more than worthwhile yes. Should take you to around 270-280bhp/lbft.

I did this on my MY00 UK Turbo and it made a massive difference
Old 08 February 2012, 05:49 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

A map would probably max out the turbo assuming you have a td04. Very worth while. Should see 270 ish bhp
Old 08 February 2012, 06:18 PM
the hamster
BANNED

with the mods you already have I would add an uprated fuel pump and 3 port boost solenoid. You'll notice a huge difference after a map but unfortunately it will cost £550 as you will need to pay for an ecutek license and mapping time.
Old 08 February 2012, 08:28 PM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

Thanks all.

Would a remap damage the reliability of my car?
Old 08 February 2012, 09:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If it were me, I'd go back to a decent panel filter: your induction kit serves no purpose, and may give you LESS power, or even serve to kill your MAF
Old 09 February 2012, 04:51 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craiginsight
Thanks all
Would a remap damage the reliability of my car?
Not at all, in fact it can not only improve the performance , but it will ensure it is set up correctly and not running to rich / lean

Trending Topics

Old 09 February 2012, 11:25 AM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
Not at all, in fact it can not only improve the performance , but it will ensure it is set up correctly and not running to rich / lean
It's sounding promising so far. I guess I'd have to run high octane fuel on every fill up? Currently I do 1 high and 1 normal.

270 bhp sounds very nice and if the engine is better managed I'm liking!!
Old 09 February 2012, 11:26 AM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
If it were me, I'd go back to a decent panel filter: your induction kit serves no purpose, and may give you LESS power, or even serve to kill your MAF
Thanks for the info.

I'll have a look at this too.
Old 09 February 2012, 11:38 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Foolish advice - putting 30% more torque through a gearbox which could be anywhere between 12 years and 19 years old is of course potentially gonna affect the reliability of the car. Gear boxes let go with std power FFS!
Old 09 February 2012, 11:41 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

It's sounding promising so far. I guess I'd have to run high octane fuel on every fill up? Currently I do 1 high and 1 normal.
I gained 2.5 - 3mpg by using Super unleaded over 95ron and as such (at the time) i was saving money by using the good stuff.
Old 09 February 2012, 11:47 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm happy with the car at the minute but, may mod it in future. Currently it's got a full decat and induction kit and produces 231bhp.

Would a remap without anymore mods be worthwhile and if so, what could I expect to get out of the car whilst keeping the reliability stable?

Are there any other low cost mods I should consider?
Hello fella. I'll tell you where I'm at with mine. My99 uk wagon. I put a 3" decat on it and fitted a walbro fuel pump and green cotton panel filter. I then sourced an ECU off another my99 uk turbo which already had an ecutek license on it. I then got in touch with Bob Rawle and several emails later had booked a remap.

With just the above I obtained 284bhp and 317lbft

I was very impressed with that. But also I would recommend to change your spark plugs as mine struggled on the way home. I had standard NGK ones and went to the prf7b's as these cope better.

All the above minus decat which was already done set me back £540. That's for walbro, filter, plugs, ECU and remap.

Budget for a clutch too eventually, mines struggling to cope with the massive torque increase
Old 09 February 2012, 01:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What was that old songs again?

"And the wheels went round and round and round.........
And the gearbox went BANG!."
Old 09 February 2012, 01:44 PM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Hello fella. I'll tell you where I'm at with mine. My99 uk wagon. I put a 3" decat on it and fitted a walbro fuel pump and green cotton panel filter. I then sourced an ECU off another my99 uk turbo which already had an ecutek license on it. I then got in touch with Bob Rawle and several emails later had booked a remap.

With just the above I obtained 284bhp and 317lbft

I was very impressed with that. But also I would recommend to change your spark plugs as mine struggled on the way home. I had standard NGK ones and went to the prf7b's as these cope better.

All the above minus decat which was already done set me back £540. That's for walbro, filter, plugs, ECU and remap.

Budget for a clutch too eventually, mines struggling to cope with the massive torque increase
That's a lot of extra grunt for the money . I don't fancy replacing the clutch though so would maybe see if I could get a map that tops out at a level that isn't going to start affecting the standard parts. I could always get the map to provide more power later on.

How much extra fuel do you end up using?
Old 09 February 2012, 02:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

That's a lot of extra grunt for the money . I don't fancy replacing the clutch though so would maybe see if I could get a map that tops out at a level that isn't going to start affecting the standard parts. I could always get the map to provide more power later on.

How much extra fuel do you end up using?

Mpg improved slightly when pootling around. Loud pedal obviously uses more as its now boosting at 1.5bar instead of 0.9.

Any remap will push the boundaries of the standard clutch. Harvey put it well when he said the following to me...

After Bob Rawle has mapped a car it usually picks up a lot of torque and so clutch slip after mapping is not uncommon. It is not that the clutch is worn but the torque exceeds design limit.

Why remap the car if you're gonna tone it down do you don't reap the benefits?
Old 09 February 2012, 05:38 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Foolish advice - putting 30% more torque through a gearbox which could be anywhere between 12 years and 19 years old is of course potentially gonna affect the reliability of the car. Gear boxes let go with std power FFS!
Sorry but i've had 50% more torque going through my std uk gearbox(326 lb/ft) for the last 15 months and not replaced the clutch/box yet ,since Bob rawle had mapped it..But guess how many times i have launched it off the lights .It all depends on how you drive your car imho.
As pirelli use to quote power is nothing without control . I am pretty damn sure,I am not the only one on here running 300+ bhp on a uk classic on a std box.
Old 09 February 2012, 05:46 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Also my previous MY99 car had 45% more torque than std yet dispite having 135K on the clock the gearbox never let go, maybe its down to luck, as i do not drive like miss daisy.
Old 09 February 2012, 05:47 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I was running 313/300 on a Classic and never had an issue (other than the clutch) either but to simply say all this extra power will "not at all" have any effect on reliability is foolish as many people have lost gearboxes and clutches because of the increase in power.
My car was never launched and never saw a track but one week after the remap (by Bob Rawle) the clutch started slipping (at 57k miles) so it simply is not down to how you drive either.
Just as an aside, the OP has given no indication how he drives so a small disclaimer in your first post would have been the way forward would it not?
Old 09 February 2012, 07:29 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Fair point brun,because if you increase the power , the engine & box are both under more strain,as the power /torque is increased. I should have explained myself better as a remap will put pressure on the std components in the engine & gearbox ,but it will also give the mapper an indication on how the car is running ,as when i took my 99 car for a remap it was running rich as the lambda had failed and also the fuel pump was faulty dispite being brand new(walbro 255lph),with neither of these throwing a cel or the car running badly whilst i drove to Swindon.

Last edited by midnight; 09 February 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09 February 2012, 07:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Over fueling makes for good flames though
Old 09 February 2012, 07:48 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Over fueling makes for good flames though
But not good for a melted rear bumper ,i'll settle for the pops & bangs at the mo.
Old 13 February 2012, 06:05 PM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

Well thanks all for the info. I'm actually seeing hesitation issues on when I'm on boost. I'll be taking it up to JCT cars this week. I did speak to them and they said the warranty only covers major mechanical repairs so not sure if they are going to fix it free of charge or not. I've only had the car for 3 weeks so I'm hoping they do. Will keep you updated with how JCT deal with it and what the outcome is.
Old 13 February 2012, 06:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hesitation on boost would point to a leak somewhere do the car is running rich. Had this when Bob was mapping, failed jubilee clip

Also on my last impreza I had hesitation on the standard car. Changed both the maf and lambda sensor and the problem was solved

Will JCT put it on diagnostics or do you think their mechanic will stand there, arms crossed and suck through his teeth.
Old 14 February 2012, 01:14 PM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping that they do some proper diagnostics. Will see.

I've seen a couple of threads that seem to point to either maf or lambda. Are either of these difficult to fit?
Old 14 February 2012, 02:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Billy 3
ecutek license and mapping time. What does this mean ??? can you not
remap your car without this ??.I have bought a UK300 which is already supposed to be around 240/250bhp ??.Does this mean i can't just go and get a 300bhp map for instance from superchips if i wanted.Don't even know if they do a map,
but if they did is it a NO NO.
Cheers
As you have a few queries there fella go and ask in a separate thread in the General Technical area of the forum. Bad form to hijack someone elses thread mate.

To the OP, on my 99 uk Scoob changing the maf is easy, right on the airbox-inlet pipe and one clip. Lambda is a little more tricky but of you pop the intercooler off you'll see it screwed into your downpipe. If the thread is ok and you lube her up, it's not too bad.
Old 14 February 2012, 02:45 PM
Billy 3
Scooby Regular

Sorry fellas .
The question is now in the correct area.Sorry for the Hijack

Last edited by Billy 3; 14 February 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 14 February 2012, 03:41 PM
craiginsight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
To the OP, on my 99 uk Scoob changing the maf is easy, right on the airbox-inlet pipe and one clip. Lambda is a little more tricky but of you pop the intercooler off you'll see it screwed into your downpipe. If the thread is ok and you lube her up, it's not too bad.
Thanks for the information mate. I'll have a look after it's been looked at buy JCT.

I just had it up to JCT and Chris is going to borrow a few bits from another classic to see where the problem is. As always he was friendly and helpful.
Old 14 February 2012, 04:07 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

what year is your car? 1998 models cant be remapped without changing the ecu first - something I found out a few years ago after I'd bought it - should have come on here before hand....

Last edited by classic Subaru Si; 14 February 2012 at 04:08 PM.