Sponsored by:

Ideas for Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2012, 02:39 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for Subaru

Ive been thinking alot lately about Subaru UK and their incapable inhability to build a proper performance car. Year after year they make LTD specials which are nothing but jumped up Impreza's with fancy paint jobs, alloys and chrome grills.

Why can't they just take a leaf out of Japans book and built our cars like they are in Japan?

Subaru UK never seem to listen to the customers request, were fed up with the unreliable 2.5, either fix it or bin it, were fed up with laggy single scroll turbos, the kerb weight increasingly getting closer to that of a Diesel BMW.

I'd happily spend 30-40k on a brand new STI if it was what i felt, a proper performance car. Ive read a few threads now slating the Hatches, the 2.5 engine and the receant sales slump. But yet i don't see Subaru reacting to this, they should be on here reading what the potential customers want instead of designing heaps of **** for a market that does not exist.

If theres a market out there for expensive and rare Spec C's then surely theres a market for Subaru uk.

My dream Subaru would be one of simular dimensions and weight of a classic, looks that are kind of on the same line as the Hawkeye, a 2.5 thats as strong as a JDM 2.0l, twin scroll setup that in some way would retain the unequal length manifold.

Iain Litchfield does it right, any niggle that is found, he sorts it.

Anyone else got any opinions or ideas?
Old 05 February 2012, 02:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

My views on the subject are well documented, if not well received. The fact is Subaru are no longer building for a UK market, but the more lucrative markets of the likes of the US and Aus.

In 2007 they destroyed their loyal UK customer base by the introduction of a car few iof their existing UK customers wanted and one that wasn't good enough to attract new customers and the rest is history as they will be in the UK shortly!

Last edited by f1_fan; 05 February 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05 February 2012, 02:55 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

the cosworth sti hatch has improved subaru's limited edition models and is the most powerful production car made by subaru and isnt just all about fancy paint job, chrome grilles, the new sti saloon has improved in alot of ways in its handling, performance and looks which are not to everyones taste.

but i agree on that they dont make them like they used to looks wise and going back to p1's 22b's type r's the classic range to this day is still probably more favoured

but i look forward to seeing what litchfield do next with the new 2011 sti
Old 05 February 2012, 02:55 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Sadly though, Subaru's main market is in the US where the lesser models have a higher proportion of sales than the sportier ones. Or at least that's the excuse given.

Don't see why it would be so hard to do official imports of some of the JDM stuff though!
Old 05 February 2012, 02:58 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Subaru Japan have got it to a T in Japan they have a great range of cars for everyone including the A-Line with a 2.5 twinscroll setup and the hardcore spec c varients etc.
All Subaru UK need to do is import the right cars instead of selling sh'ty watered down versions.

Tbh it doesn't help with the current exchange rate hence the price of Impreza's going up.
Old 05 February 2012, 03:07 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
the cosworth sti hatch has improved subaru's limited edition models and is the most powerful production car made by subaru and isnt just all about fancy paint job, chrome grilles, the new sti saloon has improved in alot of ways in its handling, performance and looks which are not to everyones taste.

but i agree on that they dont make them like they used to looks wise and going back to p1's 22b's type r's the classic range to this day is still probably more favoured

but i look forward to seeing what litchfield do next with the new 2011 sti
the cosworth is a 50k car that comes with a one year warranty. thats going to be a seller
Old 05 February 2012, 03:16 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
My views on the subject are well documented, if not well received. The fact is Subaru are no longer building for a UK market, but the more lucrative markets of the likes of the US and Aus.

In 2007 they destroyed their loyal UK customer base by the introduction of a car few iof their existing UK customers wanted and one that wasn't good enough to attract new customers and the rest is history as they will be in the UK shortly!
Not quite! Dealing with the OP's post. IMO the problems to be addressed are the pistons, better suspension and sound system, job done. The 2.5 is a good engine (save for the pistons) and combined with the vf48 makes for a very good road car, that's my opinion from owning a 330s. You still get a lot of car with the Subaru for your money just the pistons are a worry.

It was unfortunate for Subaru UK that rallying went down the pan hole at the same time the hatch was introduced. Yes my floor hit the deck when I saw the WRX on Top Gear but as soon as I saw the 330s, I had to have one and without a doubt is a v capable machine and fortunately got me back in the brand. And yes it's a scooby through and through. Personally got fed up with owning a car which I couldn't even put the back seats down. Yeah the wagons ok but not exactly a rally car. The hatch is rallying well in the states and I give it 3 years and the hatch will be on the rally scene in the UK with vengeance!

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2012, 03:20 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

But compare it to a R205 or litchfield.
Old 05 February 2012, 03:29 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Cosworth just has the wrong turbo fitted, and with the right turbo and a few tweaks here and there would be awesome.

Clarkson has never liked Subaru's!
Old 05 February 2012, 03:34 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Ive been thinking alot lately about Subaru UK and their incapable inhability to build a proper performance car.
Newsflash: Subaru Japan build the cars, Subaru UK just import what is available to them and what meets UK/European Standards/Emissions.

The UK is just a tiny part of Subaru Japan's "European/ Rest of the World Market".

Subaru UK have some degree of scope with the available "option build" packages but that's about it, especially given the current state of exchange rates.

During my 15 years of Subaru ownership, Subaru Japan have taken on board many UK owner requested items/improvements, that they have seen as a benefit to all.

It's interesting that given that the US is probably their biggest market, they(the US) are always moaning on the BBS's that we get all the bells and whistles as standard.
Old 05 February 2012, 03:46 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
the cosworth is a 50k car that comes with a one year warranty. thats going to be a seller
they all sold, litchfield makes the right motors and subaru uk need to start producing them the same way litchfield is tuning them
Old 05 February 2012, 03:48 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

But compare it to a R205 or litchfield.
id pick litchfield types over any subaru uk model produced, but with litchfield you are paying for the performance mods not for looks as the bodywork isnt changed
Old 05 February 2012, 04:14 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

id pick litchfield types over any subaru uk model produced, but with litchfield you are paying for the performance mods not for looks as the bodywork isnt changed
Yes, but your paying on average 10k more for the modifications.
Old 05 February 2012, 04:22 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tommy2396
to do the mods yourself would cost you alot more than 10k
Old 05 February 2012, 04:32 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

to do the mods yourself would cost you alot more than 10k
No where do you get that from! And I mean yourself in a workshop
Old 05 February 2012, 04:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cosworth just has the wrong turbo fitted, and with the right turbo and a few tweaks here and there would be awesome.

Clarkson has never liked Subaru's!
So what about the ones that have popped engines? plus there are still unsold cosworths floating around, real seller that one was....

Tony
Old 05 February 2012, 04:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ah but the car is alot better to start with, the twin scroll unit is great, plus if you go type 25 then your at 40k(ish) which is cheaper than a cosworth

Tony
Old 05 February 2012, 05:21 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong Tony I wouldnt buy the Cosworth but and I cant explain why some of them have blown. I know if I get a good engineer to fit me properly forged pistons in it should be good for 450bhp which is substantial power but of course your on the long road of mods to keep up. I'm running say 340/380 which driven hard it's gonna breakdown as any car which is driven hard. Not yet come across a motor which doesn't age with time.

If we were all driving round in revvy 2.0 litres we'd all be pining for a 2.5 and banging on how good it is.
Old 05 February 2012, 05:23 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

And I ain't got 40k to spare for a type 25 ; )
Old 05 February 2012, 05:51 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Newsflash: Subaru Japan build the cars, Subaru UK just import what is available to them and what meets UK/European Standards/Emissions.

The UK is just a tiny part of Subaru Japan's "European/ Rest of the World Market".

Subaru UK have some degree of scope with the available "option build" packages but that's about it, especially given the current state of exchange rates.

So my point is that if Subaru UK just order built cars from Japan then they should listen to the customers so that they order the parts that the customers actually want, i fail to see how the 2.5 could be a lower emitter than a JDM 2.0, they are dearer to Tax for a start.

I doubt for a minute Subaru UK just take what they get, I think they just order they cheapest parts in order to max profit.
Old 05 February 2012, 05:53 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

If Iain Litchfield can afford to import a brand new JDM car and then modify/improve it to be a monster and then sell it for £40k then i can't see why Subaru UK can't do the same but for even cheaper.
Old 05 February 2012, 06:04 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

This video illustrates why i don't think Subaru UK can build a proper car anymore, the Cosworth apparently does 60 in 3.5s but struggles with a standard P1 and 22B from the 90's. Aye the driver is a wuss but Subaru shouldn't be relying on the driver to make it get its fat laggy *** off the line. 90% of people can't launch one without it bogging so does that tell you something? I see it all the time at crail. They should go twin scroll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2Pk...eature=related
Old 05 February 2012, 06:04 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

If Iain Litchfield can afford to import a brand new JDM car and then modify/improve it to be a monster and then sell it for £40k then i can't see why Subaru UK can't do the same but for even cheaper.
What he said...
Old 05 February 2012, 06:17 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

This video illustrates why i don't think Subaru UK can build a proper car anymore, the Cosworth apparently does 60 in 3.5s but struggles with a standard P1 and 22B from the 90's. Aye the driver is a wuss but Subaru shouldn't be relying on the driver to make it get its fat laggy *** off the line. 90% of people can't launch one without it bogging so does that tell you something? I see it all the time at crail. They should go twin scroll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2Pk...eature=related
your forgetting the p1 isnt standard in this video and its about the drivers aswell
Old 05 February 2012, 06:19 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

your forgetting the p1 isnt standard in this video and its about the drivers aswell
And him...
Old 05 February 2012, 07:14 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

So my point is that if Subaru UK just order built cars from Japan then they should listen to the customers so that they order the parts that the customers actually want, i fail to see how the 2.5 could be a lower emitter than a JDM 2.0, they are dearer to Tax for a start.
You would be wrong, why do you think they all went to the 2.5? to comply with Euro IV and V emissions.

I doubt for a minute Subaru UK just take what they get, I think they just order they cheapest parts in order to max profit.
You forget I mentioned the build option packages.

AFAIK Subaru UK take the build that's available for the European market.....

Using the WRX STi Saloon as an example.........

UK saloon cars come with Applied code GVFDKEH.....

and Option Code AA........

Of course they are built to a budget - a price that is viable in that particular market.

Last edited by Don Clark; 05 February 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05 February 2012, 07:21 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

Why are the 2.5's dearer to tax then?
Old 05 February 2012, 07:27 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Boy are you naive about business.

Ian basically builds cars on a "one off" basis for people who pre-order.

Subaru aren't in that business and shouldn't be.
Old 06 February 2012, 08:42 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are the 2.5's dearer to tax then?
Because of the governments green policy
Old 06 February 2012, 11:39 AM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

adam you need to go do your homework