Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halfords, not such a rip off.....

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2012, 04:09 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Halfords, not such a rip off.....

Well just had a result at Halfords for a change.

Wanted a new head unit for the Impreza as the current one is an old cheap ken wood thing and is pretty crap.
Took a drive down to my local halfrauds to have a look and see what was on offer. Found a lovely looking Sony one which did everything I need and a bit more, was priced up at £179. Called the fella over (young lad) and got chatting about cars etc etc. Told him about my car and he said he'd seen it and thought it was stunning. He asked all about it and I said he's more than welcome to pop round for a closer look anytime.
So, we carried the stereo over to the till along with a large roll of speaker cable and a AUX cable thing for my IPod. He scanned all the items and clicked away at the till..
..." that will be £90 please buddy" he says...
"pardon, I thought the stereo was 180 on its own" I replied.
"yea it is, but given you mates rates discount" he said.

Happy days, I'll even take him for a spin round the block after that...
Old 21 January 2012, 04:15 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he`s a bumder and wants your **** Result though
Old 21 January 2012, 04:18 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

I've had the same thing twice on stereo stuff lately at Halfords and a few weeks ago was in for a new cycle helmet and ended up getting it for free.

They must like my smile
Old 21 January 2012, 04:21 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Go back and get us one of these

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469
Old 21 January 2012, 04:24 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Maybe he`s a bumder and wants your **** Result though
I'd be tempted to let him have his wicked way with discounts like that
Old 21 January 2012, 04:26 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

thats no fair!! £37 on 3 tins of spray paint this aft they must know im not a gheyer
Old 21 January 2012, 04:27 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Old 21 January 2012, 04:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Stereo probably costs £50 everywhere else Matty

Result if you got a genuine bargain, most the retarded mongs in my local Halfrauds OVER-charge or don't know what a headunit is.
Old 21 January 2012, 04:31 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Just reading the manuel,, it comes with a digital aerial.
Whats that then and can I do without the normal electric one then ?
Old 21 January 2012, 05:02 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

digital = DAB radio.
Old 21 January 2012, 05:26 PM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

Result! I say
Old 21 January 2012, 06:40 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

money will have gone in his pocket more like
Old 22 January 2012, 06:33 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

Default .

Originally Posted by MattyB1983

i do believe you`ve pulled... good discount thou
Old 22 January 2012, 08:33 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Or, he will come round to take a closer look at your car and nick it back... Thumb friends
Old 22 January 2012, 09:27 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

50% off the original store price, not bad at all !

Shame you couldnt get 50% off the actual already discounted price

You've been had

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...AUDIO-_-OFFER1

Rob
Old 22 January 2012, 09:30 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PMSL at some of the comments it his thread!

Sounds like you got a bargain!
Old 22 January 2012, 09:58 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just shows you the idiots who work there, for some god unknown reason a friend of mine went there to get new bulbs, he paid £40 for 110% brighter bulbs then additional £12 for fitting, to his corsa c. Few days later he asks if they should be really dull, I say no and tell him to take them back, which he does only to be told by the duty manager " best take your car to a garage to see if your car has an electrical fault" so he came to me- I have a garage.

I pops the protective cover off both lights to find the spring clamps missing, and that his h7 bulb had been forced in upside down so it wouldn't fall out !!!!!!!

I really could not believe it, so thought it only fair to speak to said duty manager, who has offered a refund of the fitting money And will get some spring clamps from a scrappers!! He actually said, " you've herd the term you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" to which I replied a monkey can fit a bulb though!!

Complete idiots,
Old 22 January 2012, 10:29 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Talking of how stupid they are,
While I was chatting to the lad about my car another young worker came over and said he couldn't get some wiper blades to fit a customers car. The guy I was dealing with took one look and said,,
" they are for another car mate, go and grab a pair for his car"...

I agree that 99% of the workers are complete helmets but if that means I get circa £100 knocked off then so be it..lol.

I can't talk though as I've just made myself look like a right prat. Was fitting the DAB aerial that came with stereo, I noticed two long sticky strips attached to it to stick it to the inside of the glass. I didn't want these visible so pulled them off and was gonna use a small piece of double sided tape instead. But after pulling the original strips off I realized they were not there to aid fitment, they were infact the actual bloody antenna.
Terrific, no DAB radio for me then, lol....PRAT !!
Old 22 January 2012, 10:33 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

D'oh!
Old 22 January 2012, 10:41 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

oops!!

every silver lining has a cloud...............

take it back????
Old 22 January 2012, 11:24 AM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

you all slate halfords, but its normally the first place you all go for stuff, then moan.

i happen to be a duty manager for halfords, its funny reading all the crap you guys moan about.

i also happen to be a fully qualified panel beater painter and a mechanic. add to that auto electrician. i was trained by iveco, vauxhall and AA.

although i agree some of the staff iv met are idiots, majority are good guys.

advise would be avoid the young guys, normally training schemes, useless.

also just because they work at halfords its still a retail store, not a mechanical workshop as people like to think, you'd be amazed at the dip ****s who think we are allowed to change brakes exhausts, pas racks etc.

im not gonna get in to arguments with people who slate the place, or had bad service.

but if u don't like the place don't shop there, but i guarantee on a Friday night at 7pm when you need bulbs,oil, audio etc, only one place you guys think off.

especially when you don't know how to fit the audio equipment.

most come back, tail between legs, will you fit it please, or must be wrong connectors.

on percentage, normally the customers or the dumb asses, not staff.

i have the paper work to prove that.
Old 22 January 2012, 11:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In the end of the day; If you want a fuel or oil filter on a Sunday afternoon, there is only one place you can go, and that's why its typically more expensive.

From a retail perspective they are what they are. They offer a service when other parts factors are closed, have limited range or are out of stock.

But I'd never let any of their staff near my car though
Old 22 January 2012, 11:48 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

at mje, take that

TX.
Old 22 January 2012, 12:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Best example of Halfrauds being a scamming bunch of 'tards was this...

Needed the next group car seat for my son. So went to Halfords as they have a good selection in. Found one which was suitable for the Scoob's fixing points. All good I hear you say? Well the test fit one was pink and I wished for the black one, obviously having a boy. Pink materialled one was £100, exact same one in same material but black? £160. I queried why, "oh, black is more popular so manufacturer charges more". I took them on their word and politely said I wouldn't pay another £60 for black material. Woman was polite etc so I went to Toys'r'us as they have a good selection too. Same seat, in black? £100 not £160. It was not on sale, just the same price as the pink one as it should be. Queried with Toys'r'us manager out of curiosity and he said it was always that way so the extra mark up was Halfords own.

So £100 was paid minus a special 20% offer and a £5 off voucher that weekend for spending over £50. So in the end I paid £75 for a seat Halfords wanted £160 for and wouldn't budge. Even without said offer, I'd have STILL saved £60 on standard price.

So yeah, they deserve slating and I will always ensure I don't have to go there unless for the advanced tools on offer.

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 22 January 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 22 January 2012, 12:52 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Best example of Halfrauds being a scamming bunch of 'tards was this...

Needed the next group car seat for my son. So went to Halfords as they have a good selection in. Found one which was suitable for the Scoob's fixing points. All good I hear you say? Well the test fit one was pink and I wished for the black one, obviously having a boy. Pink materialled one was £100, exact same one in same material but black? £160. I queried why, "oh, black is more popular so manufacturer charges more". I took them on their word and politely said I wouldn't pay another £60 for black material. Woman was polite etc so I went to Toys'r'us as they have a good selection too. Same seat, in black? £100 not £160. It was not on sale, just the same price as the pink one as it should be. Queried with Toys'r'us manager out of curiosity and he said it was always that way so the extra mark up was Halfords own.

So £100 was paid minus a special 20% offer and a £5 off voucher that weekend for spending over £50. So in the end I paid £75 for a seat Halfords wanted £160 for and wouldn't budge. Even without said offer, I'd have STILL saved £60 on standard price.

So yeah, they deserve slating and I will always ensure I don't have to go there unless for the advanced tools on offer.

if we liked you we would have marked it down, we can even price match to other stores. such as the radio guy marking down.

u must not be a nice guy ha
Old 22 January 2012, 12:52 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
you all slate halfords, but its normally the first place you all go for stuff, then moan.

i happen to be a duty manager for halfords, its funny reading all the crap you guys moan about.

i also happen to be a fully qualified panel beater painter and a mechanic. add to that auto electrician. i was trained by iveco, vauxhall and AA.

although i agree some of the staff iv met are idiots, majority are good guys.

advise would be avoid the young guys, normally training schemes, useless.

also just because they work at halfords its still a retail store, not a mechanical workshop as people like to think, you'd be amazed at the dip ****s who think we are allowed to change brakes exhausts, pas racks etc.

im not gonna get in to arguments with people who slate the place, or had bad service.

but if u don't like the place don't shop there, but i guarantee on a Friday night at 7pm when you need bulbs,oil, audio etc, only one place you guys think off.

especially when you don't know how to fit the audio equipment.

most come back, tail between legs, will you fit it please, or must be wrong connectors.

on percentage, normally the customers or the dumb asses, not staff.

i have the paper work to prove that.
This is very true, and I have the same arguement when it comes to the expectations of some of the customers I serve (not Halfords btw). However, regarding a point raised in this thread, Halfords may well be a retail store, but they do offer services at an extra charge, in this case bulb fitting. If staff are not trained or capable of doing this correctly, maybe Halfords shouldn't be offering the service??? It's not a case of the staff going the extra mile for a customer with good intentions and getting it wrong, customers are being charged for the fitting and it should be done right.
Old 22 January 2012, 12:53 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
at mje, take that

TX.
lol
Old 22 January 2012, 01:17 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Must admit I don't shop at halfords, prices are very expensive, if my friend had asked about bulbs I would of helped him out. Paying over the odds for bulbs, ESP when I know the trade prices for buying them in. There on a very very good mark up.

Flip side though is if there offering a fitting service ie bulbs only competent people should do it! Not trainees
Old 22 January 2012, 01:41 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
Must admit I don't shop at halfords, prices are very expensive, if my friend had asked about bulbs I would of helped him out. Paying over the odds for bulbs, ESP when I know the trade prices for buying them in. There on a very very good mark up.

Flip side though is if there offering a fitting service ie bulbs only competent people should do it! Not trainees
Have to say i agree there mark up on bulb 500% ish. I can buy trade h7's and 4's for just under a pound. 502,207.380.582,382's for 50p each. So there mark up is pretty good. Then a fiver ish to fit which in most cars is 5 mins work.
Old 22 January 2012, 01:43 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
if we liked you we would have marked it down, we can even price match to other stores. such as the radio guy marking down.

u must not be a nice guy ha
Haha, what a load of bollocks. Hey, here's an idea, why not just be an honest outfit to start with and not mark a £100 baby seat up by £60 for a different coloured material, and then when asked why, not blatantly lie and say it's the manufacturers mark-up.

That's why Halfords is full of crooks and overpriced chav crap.

Least the young lads that work there don't have far to drive when they've finished work, Maccy D's carpark is only across the road here.

I actually need some heat shrink rubber for a Walbro fuel pump I wanna fit. It's sunday so only Halfrauds will be open - but on principle I will wait until tomorrow to do the job as I ain't being scammed for a few quid for pence worth of material.

Quick Reply: Halfords, not such a rip off.....