Sponsored by:

advice

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2012, 09:35 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice

hiya i have a 1995 wrx import on the front of logbook is says its was regesterd oversea's 2005... inside logbook it says model... WRX

i was wondering is there anyway bringing my insurance quotes down by not telling them its an imort ?
i got told by another mate i should contact dvla and say there was a mistake when it was imported and it was put down as a wrx and get them to change it to GL ? any1 have any good ideas?

also is there any young drivers or anyone who can tell me a good insurance becouse im getting quotes.. double my year salary
i am 20 years old, ( 21 in april ) and have no year claims...
ill do anythink to get my project on road would weekly/monthly insurance be affordable. no-one will insure me

im changing my block over for another ej20 block.. but keeping my heads can i reuse my head gasket/headstuds as my heads are fine.
and is it a hard job to change oil pump...
many thanks
Old 20 January 2012, 09:38 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

sorry for the question air can you just help with the ansers you can help with please
Old 20 January 2012, 09:44 PM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Not sure if you can change it or not, but is it REALLY worth it? My mate got pulled in his old Mazda the other day which has a CA18DET (Nissan turbo) engine in. The bobby opened his bonnet, spotted the turbo and told him hes going to lose his licence as a result. Luckily for him, 2 minutes later the bobby got a call about a drink driver and had to go, so he got away with it. But hes had to sell the car now as a result..

So like I say, is it worth it?
Old 20 January 2012, 09:45 PM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Not sure if you can change it or not, but is it REALLY worth it? My mate got pulled in his old Mazda the other day which has a CA18DET (Nissan turbo) engine in. The bobby opened his bonnet, spotted the turbo and told him hes going to lose his licence as a result. Luckily for him, 2 minutes later the bobby got a call about a drink driver and had to go, so he got away with it. But hes had to sell the car now as a result..

So like I say, is it worth it?
Old 20 January 2012, 09:51 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dean_1991
hiya i have a 1995 wrx import on the front of logbook is says its was regesterd oversea's 2005... inside logbook it says model... WRX

i was wondering is there anyway bringing my insurance quotes down by not telling them its an imort ?
i got told by another mate i should contact dvla and say there was a mistake when it was imported and it was put down as a wrx and get them to change it to GL ? any1 have any good ideas?

many thanks
Is this a serious question ????

If you can't afford the insurance then maybe stick with a fiesta for a few more years.
If you do not insure the car correctly and have a crash do you honestly think the insurance company will honor the claim....
Old 20 January 2012, 10:04 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

well i see on here before someone my age got a good quote 1700 a year so surely there is an insurance group that insure imports cheap or another insure som1 must know a good insure for young people...
Old 20 January 2012, 10:11 PM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Well my mate was insured on an 04 STI at 20 for about £1700, but he had 3 years NCB, on his own policy with Elephant.

Give them a try, but don't go telling them its a non turbo, it really is daft bud.
Old 20 January 2012, 10:11 PM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

Well my mate was insured on an 04 STI at 20 for about £1700, but he had 3 years NCB, on his own policy with Elephant.

Give them a try, but don't go telling them its a non turbo, it really is daft bud.
Old 20 January 2012, 10:18 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

yer cheers mate ill rather be leagl right, dont want to have the car took of me for insurance invalid.. i didnt know GL is a non-turbo thought it was just meant standerd turbo not wrx/sti/etc....but i will keep it all ligit
Old 20 January 2012, 10:19 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Insurance prices have increased dramatically over the last 12 months remember.

I'd be very surprised if a 20 year old inexperienced driver with no no claims bonus would get insurance for under £2500.

When I was 20 I had an evo 3, from memory that was £2000ish. That was 9 years ago though, insurance prices have gone through the roof since then.
Old 20 January 2012, 10:21 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you have a good quality flame suit because your going to need it!
Old 20 January 2012, 10:29 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

i would be happy to pay 2500 im getting nothing near that .. but im getting quote of 2500 on my 52plate corsa 1.2 and its not even a sxi its really anoying
Old 20 January 2012, 10:33 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Maybe you need to get a few years under your belt in a less powerful car.

Also take into account the insurance group of a import Impreza, UK classics are not as near as high.
Old 20 January 2012, 10:49 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

i just done a qoute on a classic uk2000 and its 3000 more than my wrx import these insurance are a joke they dont want no1 to drive i need to find some1 to put me in there insurance
Old 20 January 2012, 11:26 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

You're 20, with no NCB, living in London and trying to insure an import Impreza WRX... and you're wondering why insurance companies are quoting high premiums??? No offense, but in all honesty I think you're pretty lucky that insurance companies are even offering to insure you on an import WRX at all.

It's not exactly breaking news that car insurance for young drivers is expensive and most of us have had to put up with driving less than glamourous cars until we'd built up enough NCB and passed magic age markers (e.g. 25 - and these days - 30+) before it became affordable to insure something we really wanted.

This is no reflection on you but I've no idea how young drivers even consider trying to insure a performance car when even a 1.0 Corsa can cost them £2-3k+ a year to insure (yeah, I know I sound like my Dad talking.... "in my day" etc, etc! ;o).

Anyway, as has been said above and as much as it's not what you want to hear, you really would be better off running something insurance friendly for a few years to build up some NCB. The money you'd be saving on reduced premiums could then be put towards fixing up and building a really nice car out of your WRX.

Last edited by Gigsy; 20 January 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 21 January 2012, 06:25 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Sell it and buy a UK Turbo, keep it standard and enjoy it for a couple of years.
Old 21 January 2012, 06:46 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

FFS why dont you just be honest and when the price comes in deal with it. really you should have looked into the insurance before buying the car.

The guy that got the quote for £1700 are you sure he didn't miss a 0 also he may only do 1 mile a year, and have a million things going for him that will bring it down.

Winds me up when people try and 'cheat' the system. Imagine killing someone with your car and the victims family not getting support as your insurance is VOID !
Old 21 January 2012, 07:03 AM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

Insurance was dear back in my day too! I remember buying my Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16V at 19 with no NCB and paying £240 a month insurance! And that was back in 1999!!!!
Old 21 January 2012, 07:14 AM
mex88
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Maybe you need to get a few years under your belt in a less powerful car.

Also take into account the insurance group of a import Impreza, UK classics are not as near as high.
Uk classics are just as high lol. Im 23 an payin over £2000 a year with 4 yrs ncb no accidents or points...
not to say its not worth it tho
Old 21 January 2012, 07:52 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK

Winds me up when people try and 'cheat' the system. Imagine killing someone with your car and the victims family not getting support as your insurance is VOID !

well now. i don't disagree with you. that flame suit is well an truely singed
Old 21 January 2012, 09:02 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mex88
Uk classics are just as high lol. Im 23 an payin over £2000 a year with 4 yrs ncb no accidents or points...
not to say its not worth it tho
UK car is only group 17 compared to 20 for an import. You try insuring an WRX/STI, would be alot more than 2K.
Old 21 January 2012, 10:50 AM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

omg if you read up... i said i am NOT going to cheat the insurance, i would rather wait for couple years and get the car how i want it and then ill be able to insure it when i have some ncb...
i bought the car couse i paid basicaly nothing for it... and its got loads done to it
i anit selling it it can just sit there,
and again if you read up i said i tried a quote on a ukturbo and its 3000 more than im getting quoted on my imort. the only way i could drive it if i got my dad to put me on his insurance i will speak to him
Old 21 January 2012, 12:00 PM
Ste-V
Scooby Regular

the only way i could drive it if i got my dad to put me on his insurance i will speak to him
Unfortunately that isn't much better either mate. I believe insurance companies call it 'fronting', which is illegal as far as I know..?

And theres no point getting mad at people on here, we're trying to help and advise you. It may save you a lot of trouble in the future
Old 21 January 2012, 12:27 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

yer if i get my dad to insure the car in his name and then me as a second driver that is legal. dont worrie bout the insurance side can some one help me with the other question can i reuse my head gasket and head studs if i change my block ? my head is fine
Old 21 January 2012, 12:31 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Would be crazy to not use new gaskets while it's apart.
Old 21 January 2012, 01:08 PM
mex88
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
UK car is only group 17 compared to 20 for an import. You try insuring an WRX/STI, would be alot more than 2K.
Im not trying to insure an import lol
was mearly stating that a uk isnt much cheaper than an import

Last edited by mex88; 21 January 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 21 January 2012, 01:29 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

yer if i get my dad to insure the car in his name and then me as a second driver that is legal. dont worrie bout the insurance side can some one help me with the other question can i reuse my head gasket and head studs if i change my block ? my head is fine
Unfortunately that is 100% illegal. If you are the main driver and you put yourself down as a secondary driver.. that's clearly a lie and completely illegal.

I was born exactly the same year as you, although July instead of April. I've been driving my Hawkeye sport around for 7 months now and I've been getting quotes for a turbo STi. Wait until you're 21, you will be insurable then (As long as the NCB isn't a problem, I will have 3 years worth when I come to insure)

Elephant are the best for getting decent quotes. I got a quote of £1700 with my Dad and Uncle as named drivers on a 300BHP Blob STi.

Just wait till you're 21 buddy, it becomes a lot easier. Do some fantasy quotes now, on comparison sites.. just put your birthday as today but the same year.

Just don't try and take the policy out .

Also as you say it's had a lot done to it, are you meaning mods or replacement parts? If mods, dream on pal.

Good luck!
Old 21 January 2012, 01:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

This thread and the OPs two questions re. Blatant insurance fraud = severe double

This is why Imprezas are the Council Estate "Ferrari" of choice.

Honest advice? If you're going to either lie about it being an import, or a turbo, OR insure it in someone else's name, do not ask about doing so on a public forum. Are you a little slow? Do you not think insurers or the fuzz come on these boards as fellow enthusiasts? Example, Gary Moulson, aka Moley_wrx does. He's an insurer, mine actually, and I bet of he saw your post he'd certainly not put the effort into quoting you. I know I wouldn't if I were an insurer.

Although I hazard a guess whoever you do eventually insure through will not be told the truth so as you get a cheaper quote.

Flame suit worked out.
Old 21 January 2012, 02:08 PM
dean_1991
Scooby Regular

shuttt upp you fool ( choc 0 mugg) i dont even live in a council place... private rented actually.
and if you readdd the post's i must have posted bout 6 times now that i am not going to void insurance its not worth the risk and i anit having my car took away after spending alot on it.
and i dont care who the fk is reading this... insure's or not they havent got my full name,addres,or car details num plate so f them.
like i said many posts before i will insure it the right way when i can, the main purpose of this thread was that there is others my age on here getting good quotes and i cant find anything close to that.... read the post before posting i will insure it legal when i can
Old 21 January 2012, 02:27 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Ive just turned 22, but insured my turbo 2000 when I was 21 with no ncb, as where on my land rover, I'm only £992.49 a year fully comp with 1st central give them a try the very resonable!

As for head gaskets if it's apart change them, just done mine and it's a b@ll ache to do again cause you'll have to remove the engine again. Hope this helps wiggy1.

Quick Reply: advice