Sponsored by:

Got my Sti today!

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2002, 06:32 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well chuffed. Picked it up this morning. Car is just so much better built and more solid feeling than my MY99 ever was.
Bit tight at the moment but suppose itll loosen up soon enough.

Only criticisms are the cheap and nasty cup holder thats supposed to pop out from the dash and the cheap silver plasic surround that encloses the radio area. I'll prob change that if I can find out who makes a tidy replacement. Oh and the radio is crap. Thatll have to go. Apart from that cant wait for 1000 miles to come up.

As for people who constantly compare the old and new like I myself used to,all I say is just test an Sti and see for yourself. Also put your old car next to a new one and you,ll then see how outdated the old model is now looking. Just my own opinion of course.Anyway I'm happy.

Chip.
Old 30 April 2002, 06:56 PM
scub
Scooby Regular

Surprised you had time to post, I know when mine arrives in a couple of weeks I wont be on the pc much, I'll be to busy smiling my **** off putting some miles on her around the local country roads.
Old 30 April 2002, 07:02 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Only have a lowly Std WRX but also didn't like the ally look dash so have the Carbon Effect now - much better!
Old 30 April 2002, 07:03 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with Chip, I saw the new STi next to a P1 and I have to say the P1 looked very cheap !!! and I love P1's

Old 30 April 2002, 07:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
I'm the opposite carpet!Thought the sti looked cheap

Congrats on your new scooby Chip
Old 30 April 2002, 07:31 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Chip,
Nice one

I was an ardent MY99 owner and I'd never buy a bug eye if I did it have morettes

Drove the STi7 and bought it more comfort quieter better handling lights (operation) much better and easier to clean than Morettes IMHO

500 mile round trip in a MY98-00 for driver passengers in a STi7 Driver pasengers
Tony
Old 30 April 2002, 07:40 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Very impressed with mine.

I hated the look of the standard MY01, I think it was the orange indicator built into the light, making it look all droopy eyed that put me off.

My Sti looks much nicer IMHO as the lights have a semi morrette look about them, and the prodrive body mods seem to make the car flow better.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

Only slight downsides at the moment are that the power comes on at 4000 revs and is gone by 7000 and I need to learn how to use the 6 speed box to it's full potential. Funds for the PPP are already allocated. It's not loosend up yet and I think the perfomance is already on a par with my PPP'd MY00

I'm still quite wary of really caning around the bends, especially in the wet. It feels a very different beast to my old car, much smoother, more refined and more solid. I like the interior, but then i've taken the standard head unit out and replaced it with a new pioneer one.

After a month of ownership my grades(out of 5 are)
Performance 4(old car 4)
Handling 4((bearing in mind I have to learn to drive the thing)
Looks 4(old car 3. It looks really dated now)
'Livability' 4.5(old car 3. It was noisy, clunky and raw)

So pretty darned good. Expect the grades to rise as I get used to the car.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 4/30/2002 7:43:32 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2002, 07:49 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

scoobynutta555 - furry muff mate !! wouldnt say no to a P1, still think they look the nuts !!

Old 30 April 2002, 08:11 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Cool

Welcome to the gathering, I also changed the standard double din unit for the Clarion double din

as you can see above

I also colour coded the instrument binnacle, door handle surrounds, and door switch panels, to liven the interior up a bit
Old 30 April 2002, 08:11 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Neil,

I also got shut of the Standard radio sounded Sh*te put my old single din Sony back in now sounds great

To my suprise the one I removed was made by Kenwood!!!! must have been Mr Nagasaki Kenwood surely not Kenwood the Audio people

Tony
Old 30 April 2002, 08:12 PM
Subaruwannabecorolla
Scooby Regular

Nice corolla interior How much did you spent on it?
Old 30 April 2002, 08:14 PM
Subaruwannabecorolla
Scooby Regular

Interior looks like a corolla with a steering wheel and a nice gearstick
I forgot the nice blue mats.How much will you sell it next year? 10K less?
Old 30 April 2002, 08:46 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Ignore him, he might go away the child, anyway nice choice Chip. I am sure lots more pre 01 owners will succumb to the new model like I did

Yorkie
Old 30 April 2002, 10:34 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Got my Blue black Prodrive STi yesterday.

Looks fabulous - amazed at the response from others. My wife who had very little interest before I returned with the car was transformed when she saw it. She took the car out twice yesterday evening and on return told me that all over kids stopped in the streets to see it, some waving and clapping and even bowing.

I was initially not keen on the bug-eyed car, but the STi is different. The gold wheels look right (and I was never keen on gold wheels on pre-MY01 cars). Much prefer black but I know this is a taste issue.

The quality is in a different league to my old MY98. Much more solid and refined. Not as quiet as I expected but much less harsh. It actually rides speed humps much better than the MY98. Interior very impressive. Seats perfect. Gearbox very good although needs loosening up. Buttons/controls etc much better than previous.

Handling is difficult to call at this stage. Feels very secure but I don't feel at home yet with its cornering. I think that it'll take a while to get used to. On a wet run to and from work today, going round roundabouts on a lazy trailing throttle, it understeered more easily than the old car but I think this was more related to tyres than anything else. I suspect that as with the previous car, you need to attack a roundabout with some aggression to kill the understeer.

I've only done 150 miles so can't comment on engine performance yet.

Travelling to Cheltenham on Friday (700 mile round trip). 1000 mile service early next week.

D.
Old 30 April 2002, 10:50 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

I got mine last Wednesday and had my service yesterday! I cant believe that I ummed and arred over getting it - I love it!

Mods start next week!

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
www.performanceexhausts.net