Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Excessive tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2000, 09:53 AM
Kimbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just noticed that the rear tyres of my MY97 turbo 4 door closely resemble Kojak and could quite easily earn me 3 points each if I were to be stopped by the police. The reason for this posting is that the tyres, Bridgestone SO2 Pontenza's 205/55 ZR15 (Yes I know I should replace my 15" for something more substantial) are only bald from the middle of each tyre to the outside of the tyre. The other half of the tyre appears to be fine. These tyres were only fitted at the end of August and have only covered 8000 miles, the vast majority of which have been covered on good A roads.

I had the 30,000-mile service carried out by a Subaru Dealer on the 23/11/99 and according to the service schedule they check tyre conditions Etc. Therefore I assume that the tyres were legal at this point in time. Even if they were only just legal, this means that I have worn 1.6mm - 2mm of tread in less that 2 months. I guess the questions that I am asking are:

a) Why have the tyres worn unevenly and in such a short time. (Is this a tyre problem or a mechanical problem)

b) What would be the expected mileage from a Bridgestone SO2

Old 15 January 2000, 02:56 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Uneven tyre wear can be caused by incorrect pressures and geometry settings. Normally front tyres are affect more by tracking. May be a tyre fault.

Maybe worth talking to the subaru garage but personally I would not by tyres of a main delear as they are far too expensive.

Middle outwards tend to suggest over inflation but I am not tyre expert

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 15-01-2000).]
Old 15 January 2000, 03:54 PM
Kimbo
Scooby Newbie

I have checked the pressure of the tyres and they are fine. The tyre wear is so excessive that I do not believe that it is related to the tyre pressure. In my experience over inflation caused the middle of the tyre to wear and under inflation the outsides of the tyre. The wear on my tyre is from the middle to the outside edge, The inside 50% of the tyre is fine.

The car is now booked in with my local dealer . However I would still be intrested in any views / ideas that you may have.

Cheers

Kimbo

wear and