Sponsored by:

Scoobynet Scammers - "The argument"

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2011, 07:58 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Scoobynet Scammers - "The argument"

So “he” clearly with no denial ripped many people off by claiming to sell parts on here, he wont be the first nor the last for selling products yet not actually sending them out. I think this kind of saga is disgusting and that it needs to be resolved for the peace of mind of all other honest sellers and traders.

Although I haven’t been scammed, it does hinder the level of trust on this site, and I think we need some closure to these types of complaints, or at least we need to know of the outcome globally.

Rob

Ps – no names mentioned, and no swear words please!
Old 29 December 2011, 08:34 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there should be a feedback section where you can leave a feedback comment eg

http://basschat.co.uk/forum/23-feedback-section/

This works well on Basschat and I would not be too keen to deal with someone who has not got good feedback - although someone has to be first to deal with someone with no feedback. It would be a quick and easy way to warn of scammers.
Old 29 December 2011, 09:32 AM
jimmyinrugby
BANNED

Surely it's like FleaBay,I/you won't buy off someone with no track record,but that person has to start somewhere,I have bought nearly a dozen things and not ONE time has the person left feedback !!! In the last few days I sold a few bits,so will they leave feedback ?
Old 29 December 2011, 09:32 AM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StanS
I think there should be a feedback section where you can leave a feedback comment eg

http://basschat.co.uk/forum/23-feedback-section/

This works well on Basschat and I would not be too keen to deal with someone who has not got good feedback - although someone has to be first to deal with someone with no feedback. It would be a quick and easy way to warn of scammers.
Surely the "Trader Score" does that on here?

Actually looking closer that feedback forum is rubbish, how do you link a user with their feedback on there?

Last edited by ste_brough; 29 December 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 29 December 2011, 09:33 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple answer is always make sure you use paypal and pay the fee's yourself just so have protection. I dont care about the extra cost and for the sake of 4% fee at least i know there is some protection for my money.

Never send as gift.
Old 29 December 2011, 09:38 AM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

How about have a price field when you post an advert up. Then limit the value of the goods you are selling until you have at least some good feedback?

I would also consider only letting full paid members to post in there as well, to be honest paying Ł2 to post in there is no deterrent.

Last edited by ste_brough; 29 December 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 29 December 2011, 09:38 AM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Do we not have iTrader on here? Is that not as good as the above?

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2011, 09:46 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
So “he” clearly with no denial ripped many people off by claiming to sell parts on here, he wont be the first nor the last for selling products yet not actually sending them out. I think this kind of saga is disgusting and that it needs to be resolved for the peace of mind of all other honest sellers and traders.

Although I haven’t been scammed, it does hinder the level of trust on this site, and I think we need some closure to these types of complaints, or at least we need to know of the outcome globally.

Rob

Ps – no names mentioned, and no swear words please!
I agree totally Rob, what happened yesterday was terrible and does nothing for the reputation of this site.

The thing that annnoys me is people including mods who post more or less saying what an idiot the victim was for transferring money to a user with less than a thousand posts or whatever.... yes maybe they could have been a little more careful, but this is supposed to be a community and it does not make the scammer any less responsible. Personally I would rather we focus on the scammer than the innocent victims, but there you go.

I think SN needs to find a better way of dealing with people like this, from what I gleaned yesterday this guy had done it before on here and yet somehow he was still here to do it again.

Maybe having a special forum posting up known scammers' usernames, modus operandi and some of their posts (so people can get a feel for their language constructs etc.) and then with permission maybe the usernames of those they scammed so people can PM them and check if they smell a rat in a transaction they are about to undertake along with basic guidelines for not getting scammed.

None of that is using information that you cannot see elsewhere on SN and therefore shouldn't be a data protection issue which is the usual problem when trying to publish these people's details.

Last edited by f1_fan; 29 December 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 29 December 2011, 10:10 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Chris it seems to me that there is logic in SN taking a little bit more of a role when it comes to looking after its members, I'm not insinuating that SN takes no action whatsoever, but simply banning the “said” member isn’t suffice as this is generally post the offence. Surely as you pointed out something can be done to safe guard sellers. The Trader feedback is quite good at what it does in terms of proving positive repetition scores which generally means the trader is safe, but not once have I seen a negative feedback score!

I agree that it needs to be improved, or at least an addition to the Trader feedback needs to be put in place whereby practically anyone (paid members) can leave a comment against the “said” individual, even if trade hasn’t taken place?

Rob
Old 29 December 2011, 10:25 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

What the hell happened yesterday? I need to keep up a bit better. Link anyone?

As for my opinion, an external chatroom linked to from the sales section would be ideal. No actual affiliation to SN, and all the users/sellers/buyers can discuss the scammers etc.
Old 29 December 2011, 10:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
What the hell happened yesterday? I need to keep up a bit better. Link anyone?

As for my opinion, an external chatroom linked to from the sales section would be ideal. No actual affiliation to SN, and all the users/sellers/buyers can discuss the scammers etc.
This is what happened:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...n-scammed.html

Old 29 December 2011, 10:39 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I got to the end of page 1 but I bet the theme runs through the thread. What a **** the guy is, he has ripped a few guys clean on here, hasn't he?
Old 29 December 2011, 10:47 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I got to the end of page 1 but I bet the theme runs through the thread. What a **** the guy is, he has ripped a few guys clean on here, hasn't he?
Yep and then brags about it in that thread as he knows for all intents and purposes he can't be got at.
Old 29 December 2011, 10:56 AM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

I think the Trader score is not taken seriously enough on this site, i have bought a number of items off of users, and have never got left Feedback, despite me leaving them positive comments.

I even went to buy something from a member once and was told my post count was too low to buy by this particular seller.
Old 29 December 2011, 11:04 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yep and then brags about it in that thread as he knows for all intents and purposes he can't be got at.
Dos no-one have his address at all? Is there no way to trace him?
Old 29 December 2011, 11:13 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

unbelievable !! good read though
Old 29 December 2011, 11:17 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Does no-one have his address at all? Is there no way to trace him?
No I havent not sold him anything, plus I wouldnt not want to get involved
Old 29 December 2011, 11:21 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by L.J.F
The simple answer is always make sure you use paypal and pay the fee's yourself just so have protection. I dont care about the extra cost and for the sake of 4% fee at least i know there is some protection for my money.

Never send as gift.

This, although it puts a few sellers off, as I guess they're scared of being scammed themselves.

My personal rules are to only buy stuff that I can pick up, *or* buy from a long time member that doesn't speak "text" and has a reasonable conduct online, and then *only* pay with paypal and pay for the fees.

I got scammed out of 150 quid a couple of years back, and after that I've modified my previously fairly blasé attitude to this. The police were on the chocolate teapot scale of usefulness.
Old 29 December 2011, 11:22 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

No I havent not sold him anything, plus I wouldnt not want to get involved
Just for all the other poor souls who he has scammed over the festive season and beyond.
Old 29 December 2011, 11:50 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Just for all the other poor souls who he has scammed over the festive season and beyond.
Read my sentence again Myles (double negatives)
Old 29 December 2011, 11:57 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It's simple Rob, don't buy from people with a low post count (you know who only had 150 posts) unless it's small enough value so you can afford to lose it. For high value stuff only buy from locals so you can go see it, pay for it & take it away.

TX.
Old 29 December 2011, 11:59 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

^^^ Sensible approach
Old 29 December 2011, 12:02 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

LOL Rob, I read it right, just doesn't need to not pm you!
Old 29 December 2011, 12:08 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite the safeguards that are in place, the scammers will always find a way around it. Yes you have to pay up to list items for sale, but it costs nothing to respond to a wanted add via PM, and when you brag about being a scammer and get banned you just go and create a new account and start all over.

The only thing that can prevail here I think is common sense and quite often you get a gut feeling about something.

Some basic advice from other users such as paypal fees paid vs gifting is always useful. The downside for the seller is paypal will often find in the buyers favour if a claim is lodged and the scam is entered that way, this cannot be done if a payment is gifted - I'm indifferent personally and I will take each sale on its merit.
Old 29 December 2011, 12:15 PM
JPC500
Scooby Regular

If you read what ***** was posting yesterday you wouldn't have believed it !
He wasn't bothered in the slightest that he'd ripped someone off and that he'd done it before. I bet he only has one mate, the one on the mirror ! Lol
Old 29 December 2011, 12:27 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

That was a shocking read! What a keyboard hero.
Old 29 December 2011, 12:28 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

If you don't pay though paypal and always pay the fees, then your asking for trouble. I've seen people fall to this all the time.
Old 29 December 2011, 12:30 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

From here: https://www.scoobynet.com/news-annou...th-2008-a.html

Fraud/Scamming Advice

Members are advised to be aware of unscrupulous people using the market place. And therefore must take personal safeguards to minimise the risk of becoming a victim. These include:

Only buy from subscribed paying members. These are either 'Plus Members' or 'Authorised Advertisers', and indicated by the logo beneath their avatar.
Sellers should pay extra caution when selling to new members or members without a 'Plus member' status.
NEVER use the gift option on Paypal transactions, you may avoid fees, but you will be unable to make a claim for refunds.
Get a tracking number and use insured delivery for valuable goods.
Check the insured value limits and delivery arrangements with the courrier.
Beware of delaying tactics used to clear Paypal funds, this can be 21 days to empty funds and 45 days to lodge a claim dispute.
In this day and age there is no reason why a transaction can't be fully completed from start to finish within two weeks. People who take longer are either scamming or are highly disorganised.
If an item appears to be too good or cheap to be true, it often is.
Check a user's past posting history: A genuine Subaru enthusiast will regularly post and interact outside of the sales areas, high post counts and good previous sales history is key here.
Avoid goods offered by private messaging. Especially from non-paying members. If someone wants to sell, they should have an advert in the marketplace.
Use the iTrader system to check a member's feedback and give feedback. Instructions on how to use iTrader can be found here: iTrader Instructions.
Report possible unregistered traders or scams.
It is not ScoobyNet's responsibility to check that goods are fit for purpose, accurately described and/or comply with UK road and traffic laws. That is for you as the buyer to ascertain for yourself.
If you are a victim of fraud or scamming, contact the police and get legal advice from a representative or via the Citizens Advice Bureau on how best to proceed.
Scoobynet does not condone witch-hunts or unlawful or violent activities against scammers: Click here for further information.
If the people scammed make a complaint to the Police about the fraudsters we WILL act, but only with the authorities. If you want Justice then go to the right people and report them to the Police.

In the meantime, follow the advice and use the iTrader system, for EVERY transaction.
Old 29 December 2011, 12:38 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

As said, NEVER PAY VIA GIFT You have no comeback if this happens unfortunately.
Old 29 December 2011, 12:48 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Read my sentence again Myles (double negatives)