Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For people who don't 'get' scoobies.

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2011, 01:21 PM
NiallWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For people who don't 'get' scoobies.

I'm often surprised how many people, including performance motoring journalists, profess to not 'getting' the scooby thing. They talk about the virtues and adjustability of a RWD chassis and harp on about how imprecise and blunt a 4WD, turbo-charged car is. Strangely, the same people rarely complain about 911 turbos.

I'm fortunate enough to have owned a 520hp 911 turbo for over a year as well as 2 blobeye WRXs and I think I've figured it out: The WRX is a 'poor man's' 911 turbo. When you look at it in these terms, what's not to get? You have a car which is practical, reliable, comfortable and powerful and which can annihilate virtually any road you throw at it in virtually any weather. Of course the subaru is slower and slightly softer but then the Porsche crashes and tramlines more. I'm of the opinion that a 911 turbo is the best daily driver in the world, but rest assured the WRX does all the same things 98% as well (not to mention with 4 proper seats and a boot).

This is why, IMHO, something like an RB320 or overly modified scooby is a flawed concept. Yes, it may be even faster and corner even harder but it loses that 'real world' clearance and ability to cope with pot holes, adverse cambers, ruts and crap that a rally car should have. The more you modify, the more of a weekend or track car you create and the less of a road/rally car you own.

Anyway, that's my perspective with the cars I've owned. In a sense, the WRX replaced my 911 turbo as a daily driver - I now have something entirely different (and RWD) for weekends. People who don't get scoobies and buy Focus STs and GTis instead, it takes all sorts but I feel sorry for them.
Old 28 December 2011, 01:45 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so are you saying a wrx is better than an rb320?? if so utter crap, rb does the same as a wrx but is a faster better handling version.
Old 28 December 2011, 01:49 PM
EJ22 LAD
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=NiallWRX;10397746]This is why, IMHO, something like an RB320 or overly modified scooby is a flawed concept. Yes, it may be even faster and corner even harder but it loses that 'real world' clearance and ability to cope with pot holes, adverse cambers, ruts and crap that a rally car should have. The more you modify, the more of a weekend or track car you create and the less of a road/rally car you own.
QUOTE]
most subaru owners modify the suspension etc for more precise handling, and we poor men avoid potholes as we have greatly improved handling, to avoid paying for tyre damages haha
Old 28 December 2011, 02:09 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To be honest I'm not quite sure why you posted this on a Subaru forum.this is a place where we all "get" the scooby thing.
You would've been better posting this on a 911 forum as I'm sure they probably don't get scoobies.

Danny.
Old 28 December 2011, 02:15 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

forget "for people who dont get scoobys"

i dont get this thread
Old 28 December 2011, 02:19 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

mmmmmmmm, bit strange, is the op trying to impress us all by telling us he now owns a 911?
Old 28 December 2011, 02:20 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he just wanted to tell us he had a 911.
Old 28 December 2011, 02:39 PM
jh1-2009
Scooby Regular

I think the Impreza is a great all rounder thats why i bought one. I don,t see how an RB320 is flawed. Most people will test drive a car before they buy and imo i like a firm/sporty handling car. My current scoob i,ve owned from new and i bought it in march 04 and it,s the longest i,ve kept a car.
Old 28 December 2011, 02:58 PM
NiallWRX
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, I think this has gone down the wrong way Not boasting about the 911, in fact I sold it so it's a little late to boast. I was making the point that a WRX is an utterly superb daily driver. Is it better than an RB320? No of course not. Is it better as a daily driver? Yes it is - just as a 911 turbo is better in that respect than a GT3. The intention of the thread was a celebration of what a great car even a completely standard WRX is - no offense intended.
Old 28 December 2011, 03:00 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

in what way is it a better daily driver than an rb 320, the 320 has more power better brakes and handling and is no lower than a wrx.
Old 28 December 2011, 03:14 PM
NiallWRX
Scooby Regular

The things you mention are not what make a good daily driver unless you're 18. The RB320 most certainly is lower than a WRX! Harder also and less forgiving - perfect for the weekend but not so great for taking Gran to the shops or commuting. Anyway, I'll get my coat.
Old 28 December 2011, 03:22 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I get exactly what you're saying Niall. No need for the coat. Purely on the cost factor I'd be more inclined to thrash a WRX knowing if something did break it would be cheap enough to fix. In the real world of urban city driving a WRX is a more every day car than an STI.
Old 28 December 2011, 03:24 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
in what way is it a better daily driver than an rb 320, the 320 has more power better brakes and handling and is no lower than a wrx.
Yes is is lower, 30mm lower on the front and 10mm lower on the rear . Still has no real adverse effect on it being a great daily driver apart from the splitter in multi story car-parks
My bet is the OP has never driven an RB320.
Old 28 December 2011, 03:29 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by chopperman
Yes is is lower, 30mm lower on the front and 10mm lower on the rear . Still has no real adverse effect on it being a great daily driver apart from the splitter in multi story car-parks
My bet is the OP has never driven an RB320.
i agree the sti and rb 320 are every bit as good daily driver, for example sixth gear makes motorway driving more comfortable.

they still have 5 doors and big boot but with the advantage of more power and better handling.
Old 28 December 2011, 03:37 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

A Wrx is a better daily drive than the Sti is what i believe he means
Old 28 December 2011, 03:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

nope mentions rb320
Old 28 December 2011, 04:07 PM
Spivscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr moff
To be honest I'm not quite sure why you posted this on a Subaru forum.this is a place where we all "get" the scooby thing.
You would've been better posting this on a 911 forum as I'm sure they probably don't get scoobies.

Danny.
+1
Old 28 December 2011, 04:13 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

I'm not for one min having a dig at you owning a 911. It's your money and what you do with it is up to you.*

I wouldn't have a 911 if I was given one. They are way over priced for what they are and everything is an optional extra when you buy one. There are far better cars out there for roughly the same money.*

One gripe I do have with 911 owners is quite a few (NOT ALL) seam to have something to prove when they see a Subaru, Evo etc etc. We all know they are faster than most of our impreza's so get over it.*
Old 28 December 2011, 04:15 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Anyway everyone knows a Porsche Boxster is the `poor mans` 911
Old 28 December 2011, 04:18 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
nope mentions rb320
I think it depends on what the op means by "daily driver". If by that he means hundreds of miles every day then i would agree that the RB is not the best choice, but then i wouldn't think a WRX is either. Sport suspension, fuel consumption, cabin noise and trim rattle would soon break your spirit .
If by daily driving he means 20-30 minute commute, school run, going to the shops ect then the RB is great. I use mine as a daily driver in the latter example. The suspension is hard but not spine jarring hard, the clutch is not to heavy nor is the steering. I have driven mine on a few long trips and it was ok but i wouldn't want the experience every day to be honest.
Old 28 December 2011, 04:18 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Dont worry,i dont think he will be posting again!he was just expressing an opinion for god sake.Niall,you need to obviously keep your opinions to your self!
Old 28 December 2011, 04:24 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TurboAndy
I'm not for one min having a dig at you owning a 911. It's your money and what you do with it is up to you.*

I wouldn't have a 911 if I was given one. They are way over priced for what they are and everything is an optional extra when you buy one. There are far better cars out there for roughly the same money.*

One gripe I do have with 911 owners is quite a few (NOT ALL) seam to have something to prove when they see a Subaru, Evo etc etc. We all know they are faster than most of our impreza's so get over it.*
Like some scooby owners when they see an M3
Old 28 December 2011, 04:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by NiallWRX

This is why, IMHO, something like an RB320 or overly modified scooby is a flawed concept. Yes, it may be even faster and corner even harder but it loses that 'real world' clearance and ability to cope with pot holes, adverse cambers, ruts and crap that a rally car should have. The more you modify, the more of a weekend or track car you create and the less of a road/rally car you own.
I don't think you've picked the best example there mate. The RB320 was designed to be an even better day to day proposition than the regular STi. More compliant suspension and better low and mid range torque and power.

I know what you're getting at with people who modify a car used 90% of the time on the road for the track - that is poor decision making IMHO. However, it is possible to "highly" modify a car for the road and improve it immesurably. It's about making intelligent decisions at the modification stages and obtaining modifications that will enhance the car's performance in its chosen application.

As an example I have a mate with a 997 turbo who I recently took for a spin in my 470bhp Hawkeye, which has a forged engine AP brakes, BC coilovers etc. His conclusion: "yours is just as quick and in the real world probably a bit faster!" This was because I specified it as a road car, not a trackday weapon. As a result, it spools well before 3k rpm, has 480ft lbs torque, a relatively supple suspension set at a sensible ride height and mighty brakes that just will not fade! And I'm not the only one with this kind of spec. Far from it!

Now, that might be a bit of a questionable road to go down if this kind of car after all the mods cost the same as a 911, but all in mine is a sub 30k car i.e. about 1/3 of the price of my mate's 911 turbo.

It is possible to highly modify a car and still retain the "poor mans 911 turbo" status. You just need to be honest about what you use the car for and orient the modifications appropriately.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 28 December 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 28 December 2011, 04:36 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

+1
Old 28 December 2011, 04:39 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I don't think you've picked the best example there mate. The RB320 was designed to be an even better day to day proposition than the regular STi. More compliant suspension and better low and mid range torque and power.

I know what you're getting at with people who modify a car used 90% of the time on the road for the track - that is poor decision making IMHO. However, it is possible to "highly" modify a car for the road and improve it immesurably. It's about making intelligent decisions at the modification stages and obtaining modifications that will enhance the car's performance in its chosen application.

As an example I have a mate with a 997 turbo who I recently took for a spin in my 470bhp Hawkeye, which has a forged engine AP brakes, BC coilovers etc. His conclusion: "yours is just as quick and in the real world probably a bit faster!" This was because I specified it as a road car, not a trackday weapon. As a result, it spools well before 3k rpm, has 480ft lbs torque, a relatively supple suspension set at a sensible ride height and mighty brakes that just will not fade! And I'm not the only one with this kind of spec. Far from it!

Now, that might be a bit of a questionable road to go down if this kind of car after all the mods cost the same as a 911, but all in mine is a sub 30k car i.e. about 1/3 of the price of my mate's 911 turbo.

It is possible to highly modify a car and still retain the "poor mans 911 turbo" status. You just need to be honest about what you use the car for and orient the modifications appropriately.
Spot on
Old 28 December 2011, 04:46 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I dont know why some of you guys are jumping all over this fella...

IMO this makes perfect sense...

Old 28 December 2011, 04:55 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

most cars modified for performance will make them a worse day to day driver, so what?if it is comfort your after buy a bmw or merc.

i dont car what the journey was give me an sti or rb320 over a wrx anyday.
a standard sti is not far ifferent ride wise than a wrx anyway but with the added sixth gear makes motorway cruising more pleasant.
Old 28 December 2011, 04:58 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
I dont know why some of you guys are jumping all over this fella...

IMO this makes perfect sense...
Personally im not "jumping all over him" im just disagreeing. I actually own an RB320 and use it as a daily driver. I think this gives me more in site than most as i have experience in the points made by the op regarding the RB.

You say you agree, fine then please elaborate why you agree
Old 28 December 2011, 05:02 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Having owned a lightly modified Hawkeye WRX, Bugeye S202 and currently a modified Blobeye Spec C I have to say that as a daily driver I'd choose the Hawkeye WRX every time.

The more 'hardcore' STi's that I've owned have been great weekend cars but as a daily driver no thanks.

I did quite a run yesterday and clocked up some 200 odd miles on A roads, B roads and country lanes and my Spec C was great and I couldn't have wished for a better car BUT I have to admit I was cream crackered by the end of the run.

I agree that a standard WRX is a better daily driver but for those who use their Impreza's as a weekend toy one of the STi models is the better car.
Old 28 December 2011, 05:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I get the Subaru or at least I used to; a cheap very fast family car..that at one point was fairly discreet (in 1995 ) hack, not brilliant handling or brakes but nothing for the same money could touch it or even sniff close to it.

It all went to pot when they came into the lime light, and now new models are too expensive: I have no interest in forking out over £32K on a new one; As its tipping onto Audi/BMW territory here which is a very different class of car (even if they maybe slower). Nor do I fancy throwing bucket loads of cash at it to make it brake/go/stop properly (or stop blowing-up in the case of hatches ).

I get it with the R32 all the time...people say why bother when a Golf GTi can be chipped to go faster, is cheaper and isn't so nose heavy blah blah. Fact is on a wet danp road (which is about 80% of the year) I'll plant my right foot when pulling out of junction or exiting tight bends/roundabouts and the thing just puts it power down and goes where a GTi would be scrabbling away with its traction control light going bonkers. So what? I could bolt on a turbo or supercharger kit and go even faster. But then I may as well buy a RS4.

I loved the scoob for the very same reason. I can't do that in any other high power FWD or RWD car. It cost me the same amount of money to buy as a mondeo and was almost as practical, bar insurance and MPG. But I never had any reason or desire to turn the car into somthing its not; a Porsche beater.

Go look at Trouts thread with his STANDARD 911GT3 with road tyres against a shed load of highly modded scoobs and EVOs at TOTB:

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...-the-best.html

See, even heaviliy modded track scoobies still struggle to keep up with a standard car! And some of these guys budgets were alot bigger than many.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 December 2011 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: For people who don't 'get' scoobies.