Buying guide - 2003-2005 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2011, 11:32 PM
Longer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying guide - 2003-2005 WRX

Hi,
Im currently looking to buy a 2003-2005 WRX with between 40-90k miles on the clock.
i was wondering if anyone could give me some advise as to what to look for when buying one of this age and mileage?

e.g. early signs of problems to look out for, parts which wear quickly, common faults, what mods to avoid? .

I have been told to check out the rear drop links but any other info on what to look for or what not to touch with a barge pole would be great

My budget is between 4-5 grand depending on age, condition, power etc. I have a few cars lined up to view so it would be greatly appreciated to get some advise before viewing. Any advise at all would be great.

Thanks a lot guys
Old 16 December 2011, 12:09 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Go by condition and history, not many major faults to worry about as if looked after they are reliable, just make sure Cambelt done at 50k or 5 years. It should drive smooth with no unusual noises, also make sure you do a hpi check before parting with your money, also try to view when car has stood and then start it from cold engine should be quiet with no blue smoke from exhaust. Gear change should be smooth although might be a bit notchy from cold, especially this time of year. Also make sure no major engine mods without remap, they are very reliable cars and if you find a good one you won't be disappointed. I would also add that if you know nothing about them get an inspection done before buying or take someone who knows the cars with you. Buy with your head not just jump in without thinking.
Old 16 December 2011, 07:30 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All good advice on the above.
One additional check I'd do is once the car's warmed up after 5-10 mins of steady driving, find a straight piece of road, stick it in second and floor it up to about 60mph.
Ensure acceleration is smooth and urgent, without any hopping or jumping both when on the throttle, and when eventually coming off it.
Otherwise you're potentially looking at problems with exhaust or plugs for one! Easy check to do as part of the test drive if the owner's ok with it.

Another thing some of the early ones do suffer from is fuel pipes that weep a fine mist in cold weather. I had this last year, and it was replaced for free by the dealership, but it's still something to keep your nose peeled for! Possibly only affects bugs but potentially early blobs too.

Apart from that, the obvious stuff like drives in a straight line without pulling to one direction, etc etc - all of which you can get from the default guide in Autotrader

Last edited by MrNoisy; 16 December 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 16 December 2011, 10:12 AM
R12CYS
Scooby Regular

All of the above mate, prob most important is regula services with at least the recommended oils. Hope all goes well, let us know what you get.
Old 16 December 2011, 01:47 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

As above, particulary avoid one thats in need of cambelt change or negotiate £300-£400 off the price for this.
Knocking from the rear suspension is known too.
Defo need fsh as well.

oh and unmapped mods don't bode well for how its been looked after.

Last edited by DonNedly; 16 December 2011 at 01:48 PM.